new vs. used

cuban_b

• Members

Recently i've been test driving les pauls in hopes of actually buying my first gibson. i tried the new traditional lp and loved how it came alive in my hands. i also found a 2001 lp standard that sounded amazing but not quite as good as the traditional lp. the trad lp is 2300 and the 01 lp std is 1600. my question is should i spend the extra 700 buy new or save the cash and buy used? thx in advance :)

• Members
Recently i've been test driving les pauls in hopes of actually buying my first gibson. i tried the new traditional lp and loved how it came alive in my hands. i also found a 2001 lp standard that sounded amazing but not quite as good as the traditional lp. the trad lp is 2300 and the 01 lp std is 1600. my question is should i spend the extra 700 buy new or save the cash and buy used? thx in advance
:)

If you like the tone and feel of the Traditional, you might as well save up the dough and get that one. You won't be happy with the Standard if it wasn't as good as the Trad.

• Members

I've done both. Recently, buying used allowed me to get a guitar I could not have gotten new, a Heritage H-535. The used guitar was in perfect shape and actually played better and sounded better than the last new one I tried, but cost substantial less. Sometimes there's no disadvantage to going used.

• Members

The only guitars I bought new are my two Squier Custom Telecasters since they were only about $200. When it came to my others I bought used. There are some great deals to be found out there. I get a kick out of the hunt factor in buying used.

I totally agree. One of my favorite things to do is hunt for the right gear that I need. Like recently I wanted to put a mesa mark iv rig together and took me about a month to find what I wanted. Sure there was some 1990's flying around but I wanted new but of course they arnt made any more but I finnally found a 2007 that is everything but brand spankin new. The hunt for an item you want is the fun to me? Ofcourse once I get it there is an awe about having something most people dont but it is nothing compared to searching and hunting all over heaven and hell to find something you got to have!

Go used and you will be very happy.

• Members

I buy used when I can find what I want. If the gear isn't availible used I will buy new. Go for the insrument you want. If you can find it used and it feels right to you great but I wouldn't get hung up on saving the cash and not getting the instrument you wanted.

• Members

Find the guitar you want,just find it used.

+1

I always buy used. I research what I might want to try, then I look for that used. There isn't much that can go wrong with a guitar that you can't either see or hear.

I usually advise less knowledgeable buyers to get a friend who does know something about guitars to go with them. I have had two friends ask me to get them a guitar used, knowing that I will get them the best their price range will allow.

Archived