Anybody use credit cards as picks?

2pacHendrix

• Members

Hey,

I just had a crazy idear on turkey day. Instead of wasting money on picks and wasting your old credit/debit cards, why not carve a pick out of your card! I saw it on this website a few weeks or months ago, but i didn't get that much info out of it because i was in a hurry;although, the idea was kept in the back of my mind. My main concern would be if or how it would affect the strings or pickguard. It has left some pretty noticable scratches on the pickguard of my tele (thanks to my sister's BF who went into my g-tar room without asking and decided it would be a good idea to play my guitars...nice job, buddy!) They are very easy to make (takes me 5 minutes to cut it out, then i use a nail fiiler to smooth the edges)

Anyway, is it a good idea or should i just stop doing it?

Anybody else here do it?

I think it is kind of cool because i am building something instead of buying and i know how much you guys love building stuff then making threads!

Thanks for looking,

thoughts and opinions are welcome!

:wave:

• Members

Credit cards are too thin.

Depends on the card. I use those fake ones they send when they want you to sign up. Most are quite usable for me, you must like really thick picks.

I've been using these for years, generally not for gigs, but they're great for practices and around the house. Don't feel bad if they go missing.

If done right, you can get at least 4 out of a standard size card, maybe 5.

• Members

I never thought of picks as a waste of money..
:idk:

They're not.

I look at it this way. If I use those silly fake credit cards that get sent me in the mail, as picks instead of just throwing them in the trash, it's a win-win. The picks I do buy last longer because I can save them for shows, and plus I save money because I don't have to buy them as often. Additionally, as far as the cards go, it's one less thing in the landfill.

Buying picks is not a waste, but throwing away things that can be reused is.

Archived