So has the slowing of the economy curbed your buying habits?

myname1

• Members
...and then you go and do it.

I HAVE a couple of
good
guitars.

It was all paid for with cash. In fact, alot of it was FREE. Get your mind around that.

Nobody is asking for your pity.

Quit thinking about what others do and have. IOW mind your own business.

If you don't have anything nice to say, STFU, instead of chiding adults who are gonna do what we damn well please.

We
were
ok, but this tears it.

:thu:

• Members

Guitars are a luxury item plain and simple.. Unless of course,,,,they are the tool of your trade but most likely by now you already posses the tool needed..

I ran across an instrument I didn't expect for a price I didn't expect a week ago so I pulled the trigger.. But if it doesn't knock my socks off when it gets here,, it's going back..

• Members

Whats funny is my business is way up from last year. I've been buying lots of gear on eBay. eBay auctions is your best bet for deals as ASP's have been dropping like flies.

A local guitar store that I frequent's business is *WAY* down. It's christmas time and the store is completely empty.

• Members

I pretty much knew that the economic breakdown was coming, so I stopped buying stuffa few months ago and sold a few excess items.

For the next few months I'll be selling off some of my stuff, just to lighten up a bit and to try to hold on to the cash I have. Right now I have about 6 guitars and I wouldnt mind getting down to hte best four.

I mean, how much junk do we really need?

• Members

I'm not buying $99 guitars, but I'm waiting for the great deals on $1000+ to show up.

Same for me. I've sold off a few guitars recently so with cash in hand, I'm waiting for the right deal to come along on a Rickenbacker.

The prices have to come down some day...

• Members

Nope but I'm satisfied with my amp now so no need for more of those & my Swede is a keeper and hoping the new Strat will be to so I won't need any more of those for a while to :) The car business has slowed down a bunch but ours is built for the long run and some of my commision will be paid over the years some customers are financed for thru us. Still a struggle at times.

• Members

Part of the problem was related to: "I sure can pick 'em".

-in 2004 I worked in the securities industry right in time for the dot bomb

effects to be felt hard.

-In 2005 I started IT work at a real estate company - could I make worse

decisions?

Things are going well, my wife and I are making the same amount we made

last year but no raises for anyone in the company, they've suspended the

401k matching, they've also decided to make us pay for our own business

phones if we lose or destroy them - that's a new one.

So one would ask why I bother staying? Because it's a job in this economy

and a reasonable one with okay benefits and actually more work than I can

do in a day.

I do know that if they lay us off I have a backup plan and also a backup

plan to the backup plan - and we have some money in savings to last us

some months.

But we've done some spending and aren't going to cry over it.

-This whole mess happened at levels we never see much less influence.

-This happened because power brokers, drunk on power and greed decided

to get greedier and in doing so hosed the entire economy.

-Instead of just the people responsible paying for the disaster, everyone

apparently has to pay for the actions of the greedy.

-I'm hoping in a year or two we'll see an Enron-style documentary about

those who got filthy rich off of this mess so we can find a proper authority

to administer a two-fisted beatdown on the morons responsible.

The whole mess is a textbook case on greed, entitlement, and egotism.

• Members

Some of us were mostly only buying what we needed in the first place.

I don't mean to pick on those who own 50+ guitars (and never play them outside of their bedrooms), but honestly, think of how much money all that gear cost. Wouldn't it feel much better to own just a couple good guitars and have that money sitting in your bank account (and/or off your credit card balance) right now?

It's hard to have a lot of pity for somebody who is struggling with bills right now when they have thousands of dollars "invested" in a vast collection of Chinese strat copies.

As long as you don't OWE anything on them , I don't see the rub! Selling a collection off when you don't have to would be foolish...especially when you might as well GIVE it away on places like ebay right now....even for top end gear! You are simply not going to get anything near what your guitar is worth right now....even vintage axes are cheap! look at the one I got and was not even in the market for one. It is a BUYERS market...not a sellers.

So I think it would be kinda stupid to just sell off all your guitars because the economy is bad....unless that was something you absolutely needed to do. Because the benefits would not be as great for selling them as in a good economy.

Archived