Fender decals = illegal?

AtomHeartMother

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its perfectly legal as long as;

*IF you go on to sell it, you inform the buyer that it is a warmoth neck with a fender decal on

*you DON'T list it as a Fender guitar when selling

*you DON'T start making lots of them to sell

Trademark only comes into effect if you're going to making gains on someone elses reputation, so as long as all parties involved know its a fake, and you don't make a business out of it, theres nothing anyone can do

• Members

Its perfectly legal as long as;

*IF you go on to sell it, you inform the buyer that it is a warmoth neck with a fender decal on

*you DON'T list it as a Fender guitar when selling

*you DON'T start making lots of them to sell

Trademark only comes into effect if you're going to making gains on someone elses reputation, so as long as all parties involved know its a fake, and you don't make a business out of it, theres nothing anyone can do

You basically have it right except for #3. Fender can certainly file a lawsuit or cease and desist against you for even trying to sell just one of these decals.

If you print a replica Fender decal up for yourself, there's nothing that Fender can do about it.

• Members

just a quick word .Copyright has to be actively protected .its not enough to say they know there are illegal logos out there but they ignore it ,They have to protect it and chase miscreants using their logos ,headstock designs ,etc,or by default they could loose the rights to it as someone could say they had been using and selling them for years without any complaint by Fender .This is why you often see a trade mark in an ad and a note at the bottom the page explaining that the logo is the trademark of whatever company that owns it .

.Not sure they would bother for one measly decal but they may well chase someone printing them ,however they are used . A non Fender guitar using a fake Fender logo is just a forgery unless stated other wise ,hence illegal under civil law .It s not the use of the logo ,but the misrepresentation ,that is illegal.

As for Squier its a bit murkier as they already have Fender printed on the headstock in small letters and on advertising and manuals etc as well as the Squier logo.Fender should come clean and just call all their fender style guitars Fenders .Thats really what they are .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Fender logo on my Warmoth strat, but its mine, and its not for sale, and Fenders wish they sounded this good. :) See, notice the shit eatin grin on my face as I glance at the Fender logo?????? :) either that or my ass is getting tickled by the thunder that is Splawn??? LOL as you can probably tell, we are a black metal band! :)

CIMG0465_062_062.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Technically, it's trademark infringement to apply a logo to any instrument that is not a factory-built Fender. That includes a replacement (licensed) neck on an otherwise all Fender guitar.

Will Fender hunt you down if you put a fake decal on your guitar? Probably not.

But - even if you have all kinds of disclaimers, if you ever sell the guitar with a fake decal, you're violating trademark laws and could be subject to hassling.

There was a story a couple years ago on the tele page - a guy was retrofitting telecasters with 12-string bridges and warmoth 12-string necks. He was putting Fender decals on, and selling the guitars on ebay. Probably on the order of one or two a year. His auctions indicated fully what parts were used, and that the guitars were not stock fenders. One of his buyers complained to Paypal after the auction that the guitar was not a Fender. Paypal asked to inspect the guitar, and six weeks later, refunded all of the buyer's money, and told the seller the instrument was a trademark violation and was 'destroyed'.

There is very little difference between a parts-guitar with a fake decal and those chinese-built Gibsons. Because the trademark law doesn't say ANYTHING about intent. If there's a fake logo, it's a violation, regardless of notice, disclaimers, or intent.

Archived