Seen the new Wolfgang??? (pic)

dizzydog

• Members

Looks a lot like the old wolgang

Once again, I'll help out the uninformed (not offense intended).

When Eddie tweaked the Ernie Ball/Music Man design to create the Wolfgang with Peavey, he did so with a contract that stipulated that he, Edward Van Halen, owned every aspect of the design. The pickup specifications, neck shape, body shape, headstock shape (with the scoop/cut out), control layout and everything. He felt he got stung at Music Man as it was his Kramer neck that was CNCed to make the Van Halen neck, his ears to which the pickups were tuned, and several other design features that Ernie Ball would not relinquish as it wasn't part of the language of their deal.

So now Eddie will have Fender build and distribute the EVH Wolfgang. The headstock is generally the same, but instead of the scoop, it's now a cutout (in the same place and shape as the Peavey scoop). This is likely a mutual concession on the part of Eddie and Fender to ensure that there is little to no confusion between the Fender built EVH Wolfgangs and the Peavey Wolfgangs.

So yes, it's basically the same guitar, because it IS Eddie's guitar in everyway.

I always dug the arched maple-topped ones, but I no longer do the Floyd Rose thing and don't care for Tune-o-matics either. Throw on a Wilkinson vibrato bridge with locking tuners and you might interest me, but not even then at this point. Still looks like a nice guitar though.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

There's a whole story about this guitar in this month's Guitar World. They went through something like 80 pick-up prototypes to get to the production version. The white one looks very nice. Not so sure about the headstock though. You'd have to expect them to go in the Gibson-PRS price range.

• Members

I really would like to try the EVH Wolfgang's out. I think they look great and some of the new features, such as stainless steel frets, sound like nice upgrades from the old Peavey's. The question in my mind is whether there is sufficient difference in sound and playability to justify a second Wolfgang for me.

• Members
I have a pv wolfie and an axis, but the new evh does nothing for me. I wanted it to feel special and different, but instead it the same old BS. I'm going to get myself one of the new charvels and save myself a grand.

3rd_san_dimas_style1.jpg
3rd_san_dimas_style2.jpg

I would buy any of those :thu:

The new EVH guitar with improved droopy penis headstock? No thank you!

• Members

I like this new Headstock better than the one I had on my Wolfgang.

I like it, too. Don't know why people have such a problem with it. Anyway, why would this be any more than a Peavey or EBMM? Other than taking advantage of the name (that would never happen!!), what makes this "better" than previous models?

Archived