How do I tint my bone-white maple neck?

Electric Monk

• Members

I've read that the kiwi does wear off and needs to be done again and again...also that you have to be careful to avoid a scummy build up in the frets groove. I was gonna do this till I discovered something better and permanent and just simple to apply. Its called mr sheen scratch cover. Just get a piece of kitchen roll fold it over a few times or instead use an old cloth...and put it to the bottle, tip it so the cloth takes on some of the scrach cover and just wipe it along your neck...then wipe away the excess. 5mins and done permanently. I did a USA Olmpic White Strat 2 weeks before Christmas and it worked a treat..i've no idea what Fender were thinking to release ugly pale white maple necks between 2004-2007..they had a nice tint previously and the new 2008's have a nice colour to them also. Anyways I used the medium wood scratch cover and it yielded a mellow golden hue to the neck....I may try the dark wood and get something more vintagey. I stumbled on this when googling "kiwi tinting necks" and it was on some fender forum that someone mentioned it...so I tried it and voila it really does work - permanently with no prep work!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=mr+sheen+scratch+cover&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• Members

Yeah I hate the look of the white maple necks

At least fender had the sense to have tinted neck on USA Standards and MIM Standards now

This is the thing though...how did Fender ever even let their necks go out in FUGLY white? That is something I'll never understand...for years their necks had a nice tanned tint to them....then from 2004-2007 they went out in this awful pale anaemic looking colour. No idea what they were thinking...did they care?

• Members

I've read that the kiwi does wear off and needs to be done again and again...also that you have to be careful to avoid a scummy build up in the frets groove. I was gonna do this till I discovered something better and permanent and just simple to apply. Its called mr sheen scratch cover. Just get a piece of kitchen roll fold it over a few times or instead use an old cloth...and put it to the bottle, tip it so the cloth takes on some of the scrach cover and just wipe it along your neck...then wipe away the excess. 5mins and done permanently. I did a USA Olmpic White Strat 2 weeks before Christmas and it worked a treat..i've no idea what Fender were thinking to release ugly pale white maple necks between 2004-2007..they had a nice tint previously and the new 2008's have a nice colour to them also. Anyways I used the medium wood scratch cover and it yielded a mellow golden hue to the neck....I may try the dark wood and get something more vintagey. I stumbled on this when googling "kiwi tinting necks" and it was on some fender forum that someone mentioned it...so I tried it and voila it really does work - permanently with no prep work!

That looks interesting.

I may get a bottle to try out.

So far the Kiwi is holding up good.

Do you have any pics?

In the description it says you can re-apply for a darker tint.

Have you tried that?

Archived