Choosing Between 3 Amps Help!!

bonzo2

• Members

I play classic rock, some blues and some AC/DC I'm looking to buy a new amp this weekend and have narrowed it to these 3, your opinions are seriously greatly appreciated! All are used!

Amp 1: Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue Guitar Combo Amp I can get this for just under $600 2 years old.

Amp 2: Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 I can get this for $400 with Foot pedal. also around 2 years old.

Amp 3:peavey 6505+ I can get this for around $600, Not sure how old thid ine is?

Your thoughts and expert opinions?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Years to all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are all great amps, i would love to own any of them. My personal choice would be the Fender Twin Reverb. All the clips I have heard of them are great
:thu:

Twins are great, but they tend to be too much amp for most situations. You will def need a good OD pedal if you want classic rock tones out of it.

• Members

Well, the 6505 isn't clean enough for me... for my needs. I can't imagine not having an amp that didn't do very respectable cleans.

The Twin is a fine amp with PLENTY of cleans... but darn loud and not versatile at all without pedals.

I'd get the HRD and I'd spend some $$$ on a modeler or a couple pedals. I'd also plan on replacing the speaker in the near future. Still, $400 for the amp, $50-100 for a speaker (as time, funds and desire for a bit better tone allows) and maybe a couple OD pedals. GREAT setup for various classic rock tones.

• Members

Nthing what everyone said about the Twin. I have one back at my dad's house in California, just spent a great Christmas weekend using it to play jazz with an old friend. But that bastard will not distort, no matter how you crank it.

If you want AC/DC tone, you'll need an OD pedal or a dirty amp, which is pretty much the antithesis of the Twin.

Still, under $600 is a goddamned amazing price for one of those...

• Members

I don't really have any experience with those particular amps except for the hot rod, which I was only able to play at a low volume in a music store, but from what I've heard, all of those amps will need at least on good OD,

And also if you need more indecision, you might want to look into traynor amps, they go pretty well with ODs, and they sell at about your price range on ebay.

• Members

The Hot Rod will probably be the most versatile out of the box. The Twin has better cleans but you either have to use pedals to distort it or get an attenuator. (or crank it...)

Personally I would rather have tube distortion over pedal distortion...

So I vote amp 2...plus it is cheaper.

• Members

Thanks guys, If I go with The Hot Rod DeVille, thats at my local GC, I traded in my Line 6 Spyder for a store credit and used that to hold the AMP. Only $200 out of pocket for that AMP. It was on an in store hold until Jan 5th as they just took it in on trade, so I have time to change my mind. The other 2 amps are on Craigs List. GC did have the HRD on the floor for $499 and my regular sales guy was in and lowered it to $399 less the $200 for my Line 6 Which I paid $299 for about a year ago sounds like the way to go.

Now I'll have to look for pedals!

• Members

The 6505+ is a great amp but it is POWERFUL!!! Way too much power for most mortals. Capable of dialing in everything from AC/DC to Van Halen brown sound to full-on metal.

cratz2...it is actually capable of pretty nice cleans IF one realizes that it is a two channel amp. I know people who had your exact beef with it and it takes some major tweaking or tripping into the proper way to clean it up.

This guy explains it REALLY well...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoYMvQa30w

• Members

I don't know much about the Hot Rod, but I know that the Twin is a LOT of clean power to deal with...more than I need, even as a gigging amp. It also weighs about a million pounds.

I've heard good things about the HRD...it would probably be my choice unless ultra-loud, ultra clean tone is what you're looking for.

Then again, I think you'd be crazy not to get a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. ;)

• Members

I play classic rock, some blues and some AC/DC I'm looking to buy a new amp this weekend and have narrowed it to these 3, your opinions are seriously greatly appreciated! All are used!

Amp 1: Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue Guitar Combo Amp I can get this for just under $600 2 years old.

Amp 2: Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 I can get this for $400 with Foot pedal. also around 2 years old.

Amp 3:peavey 6505+ I can get this for around $600, Not sure how old thid ine is?

Last summer I looked at the HRD 212, 410, HRD. The 212 is 60 W if I remember right; that's a LOT of tube amp. The HRD is 40 W, 1x12 and it is loud. I went with a Blues, Jr. because it was more in line with the venues I play. However, the HRD line is geared for classic rock. They have that Stones sound. They also have a fairly clean clean channel. The draw back is that the channels are not well balanced, meaning that the volume difference between the clean and dirty channels is substantial.

If I were playing larger venues, I'd really like the 410.

• Members

cratz2...it is actually capable of pretty nice cleans IF one realizes that it is a two channel amp. I know people who had your exact beef with it and it takes some major tweaking or tripping into the proper way to clean it up.

I hear ya. I admit, I didn't spend hours trying to clean it up, but I usually can get a clean tone I can live with on a Peavey tube amp in about 5 seconds. With an bridge HB, I tried both channels. Compared to what I'm used to, the 6505 was one channel of 'kinda dirty' and one channel of 'rip my face off' dirty.

I know the guys that use them love them. Of course, I'm not a metalhead at all anymore.

• Members

I have the HRD 212 on hold until Jan 5th. I watched some of the videos on the 6505+ and there not bad. I'm considering making a low ball offer on the Peavey and see where that leads me. This may be a 2 amp week coming up.

Thanks guys your input is helping greatly but may be costly (lol)

• Members

This guy explains it REALLY well...

That Matt guy is pretty awesome. Seems like a down to earth kinda guy. I guess it technically DOES do a clean, but I'm used to a 'clean' where I have a range of gain that you can VERY easily dial in a crystal clean country clean, or a clean with just a hair of edge on it or a hair of dirt. I just didn't find that with the 6506+.

I'm not knocking the amp at all. I'm not in the market for a 6505+ at all and I'm not the target demographic, but it just seems that it would just be one more pot or one more switch to allow for a traditional clean-ish channel that had some range of gain. I guess more like the JSX but I've always liked the lead tone of the 5150/6505.

• Members

You planning on playing coliseums with no FOH support? None of those amps would even be at the bottom of my list for those kinds of tones. Why them?

Archived