The Genius of Miles Davis: Explained!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice little read:

It is a nice read. I've been in heavy metal bands, New Wave bands, Power Pop bands, country bands, Top 40 bands, Funk bands and have kind of stuck with 'Classic Rock' inthe last decade or so.. I've read about Miles/Parker and all these cats. Actually, have a jazz singer friend who was nominated for a Grammy several times but I could NEVER understand 'jazz.' I just don't 'get it.' To me, it sounds like: 'How many notes can you squeeze into a 3 chord song.' Don't get crazy on me, jazz folks, but I just don't 'get it.' I kind of wish I did. The ONLY jazz I've ever really liked was my old Leon Russell 'Stop All That Jazz' album. I wonder what makes a person 'get it' and get passionate about a certain style of music but doesn't understand others?

• Moderators

I just don't 'get it.'

If you are interested, get Kind of Blue. Put it in your car player, and play it while you drive. Don't even pay attention at first. Just play it and drive to work, and back home again. Repeat without thinking. Soon my friend, more than likely you'll say, "Cool man...".

Dig?

• Members

It is a nice read. I've been in heavy metal bands, New Wave bands, Power Pop bands, country bands, Top 40 bands, Funk bands and have kind of stuck with 'Classic Rock' inthe last decade or so.. I've read about Miles/Parker and all these cats. Actually, have a jazz singer friend who was nominated for a Grammy several times but I could NEVER understand 'jazz.' I just don't 'get it.' To me, it sounds like: 'How many notes can you squeeze into a 3 chord song.' Don't get crazy on me, jazz folks, but I just don't 'get it.' I kind of wish I did. The ONLY jazz I've ever really liked was my old Leon Russell 'Stop All That Jazz' album. I wonder what makes a person 'get it' and get passionate about a certain style of music but doesn't understand others?

You know, I was (or still am) in the same boat as you, being predomenantly a hard rock, blues, and metal guitarists, but at one point I found myself getting into a rutt with my leads, so I went and took lessons from a jazz musician. He had me intensily studying John Coltrain, and it realy broadend my horizons and help me open up my leads. I still don't claim to really understand jazz, but I now have a newfound apreciation for the genre, and listen to jazz music frequently. I really love the article that was posted here. It brought me a little closer to understanding what I am listening to.

• Members

It is a nice read. I've been in heavy metal bands, New Wave bands, Power Pop bands, country bands, Top 40 bands, Funk bands and have kind of stuck with 'Classic Rock' inthe last decade or so.. I've read about Miles/Parker and all these cats. Actually, have a jazz singer friend who was nominated for a Grammy several times but I could NEVER understand 'jazz.' I just don't 'get it.' To me, it sounds like: 'How many notes can you squeeze into a 3 chord song.' Don't get crazy on me, jazz folks, but I just don't 'get it.' I kind of wish I did.

Jazz tends to emphasize the weak beats and I think right there alot of people are thrown off. There's a new(er) singer Carolyn Leonhart you might want to check out. She has an interesting voice and style where at times she phrases like an instrument without scatting. Check out some mp3s at her sight. Her band is very good too without getting all conjested with excessive notes.

Steve

• Members

Coltrane, as wonderful as he was... when he plays modal, I hear him play modal. He hits those note in a self conscious way almost. Amazing technique. Groundbreaking for sure.

Agreed. For my money Eric Dolphy was one of the most interesting players I've ever heard. He was a massive influence on Coltrane, if he had lived things would have played out slightly different. From everything I've seen and heard Dolphy would have emerged as a true giant, AFAIK Coltrane was totally in awe of him. (and vice versa)

• Members

I liked the article, but it didn't point to the importance of Miles' later contributions to Jazz. Which in my opinion is the only reason its still alive today. Converting Jazz from Swing to Groove.

The thing about Miles that gets me is that he can blast a single note or two note wobble with tons of space around it whether the beat swings or grooves and leaves you sitting there with chills questioning everything you think you know about music. The timing he uses simply transcends the standard notation, and enters a state somewhere between life and death, light and darkness. In my opinion its not even accurate to call him a genius in terms of Jazz, its more like he just was from another world all together and somehow found a way to communicate with us. So Genius maybe? But I think he was more like a magician.

• Members

I guess without Miles Jazz would have died somewhere in the sixties, but he prolonged the life of Jazz until he died himself

To suggest that Miles did more for jazz in the last 5 years of his life than James Carter has over the past 5 years is absurd. Paris Hilton has better insight into jazz than that. :)

• Members

Hey James Carter is outstanding, and I imagine Miles would have worked with him given the chance. But my point wasn't about the last five years of Miles' life, its about recreating Jazz as he did in 69 by embracing the groove element of Hendrix and Sly. This is what gave people like James Carter, Joshua Redman, Grover Washington, Jr, etc a medium to thrive upon. One could argue if Miles hadn't done it someone else would have, but they didn't. Miles did.

• Members

I know this is just me, but IMO no music can compare to jazz in it's ability to evoke powerful imagery without the need for a single word. :cool:

• Members

Hey James Carter is outstanding, and I imagine Miles would have worked with him given the chance. But my point wasn't about the last five years of Miles' life, its about recreating Jazz as he did in 69 by embracing the groove element of Hendrix and Sly. This is what gave people like James Carter, Joshua Redman, Grover Washington, Jr, etc a medium to thrive upon. One could argue if Miles hadn't done it someone else would have, but they didn't. Miles did.

This ^, also Miles' fingerprints are all over bop, and cool jazz in the very same way they're all over jazz fusion from his seminal contributions to the genre, In A Silent Way and Bitch's Brew.

• Members

But my point wasn't about the last five years of Miles' life, its about recreating Jazz as he did in 69 by embracing the groove element of Hendrix and Sly. This is what gave people like James Carter, Joshua Redman, Grover Washington, Jr, etc a medium to thrive upon. One could argue if Miles hadn't done it someone else would have, but they didn't. Miles did.

Sorry, don't buy it. :)

• Members

I'm sorry, but I just can't buy into these "genius" labels. It's too exclusionary and myth-driven. Considering someone the "ultimate" or "the genius" is absurd---and irresponsible history-making.

I am the ultimate genius at everything!

• Members

thelonious monk i still am more impressed with though.

I love watching Monk. Definitely one of the *true* originals... Confounding music of the highest order.

I love the way he used to wander around onstage. He's sitting at his piano when the bass player starts his solo and by halfway through you look up and Monk is standing on the far side of the club staring down at the floor, but by the end of the solo right back in his seat -- and always on the beat. HAW! Oh how I love Monk... :)

• Members

I think that is a very important and underrated approach to music appreciation. If you love it, you do get it. :)

I take the view that aesthetics is the only true fundamental of music.

I'm not sure that I "get" jazz. But when it's good, I sure do love it.

Archived