I just don't get Randy Rhoads

Bubba5151

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen him play in person and he was the real deal. It's cool if you dont dig the tunes but the guy could play the guitar.

Right on. I don't dig the tunes, but he was a great player.

I don't know why threads like this are created. Why start a thread about something you don't like? I prefer threads like adlo's recent one. He found something new that he liked and shared it with the members of this board. I'd never heard of the guy before, and probably never would have if I didn't see his post. That's why I come here. Not to defend a well respected player because someone doesn't "get" him.

• Members

What's to get about RR? He was a monster player for his time. He was a big part of Ozzy's success after Black Sabbath. He helped shape some of Ozzy's most legendary music. His music career was cut short by his untimely death.

He made a big enough impact on guitar music in the 80's that he still gets ranked in most peoples top 100 rock guitarist lists. Did he have the greatest tone? No. Was he the greatest rhythm guitar player? No. Was he overrated ? No. Some of his guitar progressions are still technical enough by todays standards to make your hand cramp up.

• Members

I'm glad Randy does not sound like metal heads do now.

The songs on those albums are among the most original in metal history. Do you know of anything that sounds like those riffs?

You don't think the solo to Flying High Again has feel? or Diary of a Madman?

{censored}! What do you think does have feel? I recognize the incredible melodicism of his solos and I hate metal (except Motorhead)

• Members

Perhaps the most overrated metal guitarist this side of Dimebag. He had one phenomenal album in him (Blizzard), but the rest of his tracks are lame as hell. He had {censored}ty tone, was a complete douchebag, yet people always throw out "Man, Randy Rhodes was f'ing
" and they are certain he walked on water.

Plus he had a {censored}ty mullet.

who's doing this "over-rating"????? the PROfessional musicians that knew and loved him, or, a bunch of dorks w/computers(no offense to any one...)?

• Members

Fail and More Fail.

Rhoads had 2 stellar studio albums and his Live release has Amazing playing throughout.

His live tone was huge and very good.

I know I had seen him twice.

Most folks whom bitch about his tone never saw him live.

I agree his studio tone was thin but not nearly as bad as many others Ive heard.

Sorry guys Rhoads is still Untouched too this day and for a Good Reason.

+10000000

Inspiration for me and millions of others.

I am curious where the part about him being a "douchebag" comes in... everything I have ever read about him has been complimentary, even from people in the band he quit (Quiet Riot) to join Ozzy.

Sure, he slept with the bosses' wife, but by all accounts, he was a good-natured, fun-loving, somethat timid person who was astounded by his notariety and had a love for the guitar.

I am also amazed at everyone blaming him for his studio tone.. did he produce the album? Did he mix it? The album what what Ozzy wanted. and considering "Crazy Train" CONSISTENTLY is near the top of nearly every list of best hard rock/metal songs EVER, I would say he did something right :poke:

• Members

Perhaps the most overrated metal guitarist this side of Dimebag. He had one phenomenal album in him (Blizzard), but the rest of his tracks are lame as hell. He had {censored}ty tone, was a complete douchebag, yet people always throw out "Man, Randy Rhodes was f'ing
" and they are certain he walked on water.

Plus he had a {censored}ty mullet.

rubbish, rhodes at the time he was a great guitarist has his place in history.

also while im at it as a big pantera fan, dimebag was a fantastic player to go on his site and see the competitons, he had talent, and lets face proberly a lot more talent than you and me.

most of dimebag's has been blown out of propotion by dean guitars releasing so many tribute guitars in his memory and cashing in on his name.

while he was alive he was a great player and after his death dean have taken the piss imo

a complete douchebag?

you knew him them?, what gives you the right to judge people you dont or didnt know, most of it was proberly hearsay anyway, so sorry your flawed in that argument too.

people will always remember rhandy as a guitar legend simply because he is, you cant deny the impact he had on players during the time he was around and the generations of player since his death.

his music will live on regardless of people like you saying he is overated.

lame tracks?

well lets hear yours?

dont even start me on dimebag darrall, yes most dont like his style but still he has a place in metal history and has been a massive influence on me.

end of rant

sorry i dont usually moan

chris

• Members

Best Rhoads amp tone:
Ozzy Osbourne live EP album with 'Mr. Crowley', 'You Said It All' and 'Suicide Solution'. On this album he's playing through a naturally overdriven Marshall stack with Celestion speakers. Nice big fat tone.

Worst Rhoads amp tone:
rhythm guitar part to the studio version of 'Crazy Train'. It sounds like he's playing through a cheapass little practice combo with a fuzzbox in front of it. Super buzzy and very small sounding. Rhoads did have a little Roland Cube amp, but I'm not sure if that was the actual amp he used for that song.

Crazy Train is anything but "small sounding". The rythem and leads are triple-tracked by the master himself.

As I recall Rhoads favored Altecs and did not care for Celestions.

• Members
Fail and More Fail.

Rhoads had 2 stellar studio albums and his Live release has Amazing playing throughout.

His live tone was huge and very good.

I know I had seen him twice.

Most folks whom bitch about his tone never saw him live.

I agree his studio tone was thin but not nearly as bad as many others Ive heard.

Sorry guys Rhoads is still Untouched too this day and for a Good Reason.

+1....well spoken.:thu: Oh and to all those born after 1982 who slam Randy>>>>>STFU nOObs.:cop:

• Members

rubbish, at the time he was a great guitarist has his place in history.

also while im at it as a big pantera fan, dimebag was a fantastic player two go on his site and see the competitons, he had talent, and lets face proberly a lot more talent than you and me.

a complete douchebag?

you knew him them?, what gives you the right to judge people you dont or didnt know, most of it was proberly hearsay anyway, so sorry your flawed in that argument too.

people will always remember rhandy as a guitar legend simply because he is, you cant deny the impact he had on players during the time he was around and the generations of player since his death.

his music will live on regardless of people like you saying he is overated.

lame tracks?

well lets hear yours?

dont even start me on dimebag darrall, yes most dont like his style but still he has a place in metal history and has been a massive influence on me.

end of rant

sorry i dont usually moan

chris

:thu: agreed fully, on every point...

• Members

Over rated??????? Wow. You probably never had a chance to see him live or hear all his music (not that there is that much to seek out with the short time he was here). I was just starting to play the guitar when I first heard him and was lucky enough to see Ozzy in concert with Randy Rhodes and he was GREAT!!!!! Yes his tone when you listen to it today was not the best but it was the 80s. Everyones tone sucked yes even EVH had some crappy tone at times back then and yes I saw VH live.

• Members
Over rated??????? Wow. You probably never had a chance to see him live or hear all his music (not that there is that much to seek out with the short time he was here). I was just starting to play the guitar when I first heard him and was lucky enough to see Ozzy in concert with Randy Rhodes and he was GREAT!!!!! Yes his tone when you listen to it today was not the best but it was the 80s. Everyones tone sucked yes even EVH had some crappy tone at times back then and yes I saw VH live.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

absoultely spot on.....................

thread over

• Members

Randy Rhodes was the greatest guitarist in the history of the universe.

I will tell ANYONE to their face that they are the dumbest most unbelievable IDIOT alive on planet Earth if they dissagree with this. There is NO room for opinions in this case. I am RIGHT and the nay sayers are wrong. Y'all must have been dropped on your heads at birth or something. I am getting soaked from all the drool filling up this thread. I need a shower.

• Members

Randy Rhodes was the greatest guitarist in the history of the universe.

I will tell ANYONE to their face that they are the dumbest most unbelievable IDIOT alive on planet Earth if they dissagree with this. There is NO room for opinions in this case. I am RIGHT and the nay sayers are wrong. Y'all must have been dropped on your heads at birth or something. I am getting soaked from all the drool filling up this thread. I need a shower.

exactly right again,

:thu:

• Members

The guy changed hard rock guitar forever. Not to the immense amount that EVH did, but without his introduction of classical style you would not have a lot of the guys you have today.

Personally I cannot listen to Vai etc. Yes, they are technically brilliant but they wouldn't know a good song if they were hit round the head with one.

Rhodes would sound incredible if he was around today. However, only if he did not become a shredder!

By the way, Jake was superb and so is Zakk Wylde! No more tears solo is technically and MUSICALLY brilliant. Speed isn't everything. Listen to Billy Gibbons, Slash and the incredible SRV to hear tone, technique and a feel for a song.

• Members

I often wonder if its his Classical education on guitar that listeners react to. I mean you know how most players have a combination of different influence's in their playing?

Its definatly true that Classical guitar surface's in his playing. I like his style. Growing up at that time I was more influenced by other players personally, but could certainly see how he would have a strong following.

• Members

Well, I think the big classical background was a big part of it. Back in the day, it's not like folks were like 'hrmm... I'm either going to listen to Eddie or Randy'. They were just two of the most shocking players to come along recently and they were pretty radically different. I will admit that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Eddie came up with more fairly easy rhythms and were really great hooks, but to be honest, a lot of them were awfully similar. Other than being a couple frets off, Unchained, Panama and Dance the Night Away are basically the same thing, but they all work very well. Beautiful Girls has a great hook and 1984 is full of great rhythm stuff.

Randy was more about making classical work in a hard rock setting. I don't think he was every completely comfortable working with Ozzy because of their VERY different backgrounds. I admit the tone on most of the first album was... pretty horrible. I thin the tone on the outro to Revelation Mother Earth suited the playing and is one of my favorite examples of his lead work. Goodbye To Romance was in there and as far as a start to finish song, Mr Crowley is pretty great. The second album had better tone for the most part and he also got more experimental which puts a lot of people off but the outro to You Can't Kill Rock And Roll is straight forward rock goodness.

I don't know... Feel free to 'not get him', but I do think he's a lot deeper and more influential than a lot of young-ish folks realize and he has a lot out there that is worth learning. As far as the other guys you mention, I think Vai is more like the extreme continuation of Van Halen. Malmsteen's first album is what Randy might have got to in another couple years. I think folks that hate on Malmsteen should give a listen all the way through the first album. It's head, shoulders, torso and thighs above anything he's put out since in my opinion.

• Members

My two cents. No Offense but Rhoads, Hendrix and any other "star" that died early are given "God like" status and accollades. Rhoads is very good, his leads we very interesting and who gives a {censored} about tone!! Sometimes the tone has to do with the studio not the player.

Would Randy still be the cheese today? I don't care. He was good/great but extremely overrated as with all the dead rockers.

Was he better than EVH? Who cares? and BTW VH played a lot of cover tunes and after David Lee Roth left EVH turned up lame. I saw him and he's a great player but who cares.

As far as not liking Vai, Gilbert, Malmsteen - I suspect you are a Penatonic blues lover and personally I'm sick of the blues scale.

Well, I think the big classical background was a big part of it. Back in the day, it's not like folks were like 'hrmm... I'm either going to listen to Eddie or Randy'. They were just two of the most shocking players to come along recently and they were pretty radically different. I will admit that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Eddie came up with more fairly easy rhythms and were really great hooks, but to be honest, a lot of them were awfully similar. Other than being a couple frets off, Unchained, Panama and Dance the Night Away are basically the same thing, but they all work very well. Beautiful Girls has a great hook and 1984 is full of great rhythm stuff.

Randy was more about making classical work in a hard rock setting. I don't think he was every completely comfortable working with Ozzy because of their VERY different backgrounds. I admit the tone on most of the first album was... pretty horrible. I thin the tone on the outro to Revelation Mother Earth suited the playing and is one of my favorite examples of his lead work. Goodbye To Romance was in there and as far as a start to finish song, Mr Crowley is pretty great. The second album had better tone for the most part and he also got more experimental which puts a lot of people off but the outro to You Can't Kill Rock And Roll is straight forward rock goodness.

I don't know... Feel free to 'not get him', but I do think he's a lot deeper and more influential than a lot of young-ish folks realize and he has a lot out there that is worth learning. As far as the other guys you mention, I think Vai is more like the extreme continuation of Van Halen. Malmsteen's first album is what Randy might have got to in another couple years. I think folks that hate on Malmsteen should give a listen all the way through the first album. It's head, shoulders, torso and thighs above anything he's put out since in my opinion.

Archived