Does the "swimming pool" body routing affect the sound of the guitar in any way?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm curious if having that much open space in the body alters the sound in any way from a guitar with say a normal SSS routed body? Does it alter the resonance of the guitar maybe?

If you were to run a single bridge humbucker in a swimming pool routed guitar would (and how) would it sound different from a guitar that is routed for only one humbucker?

I have no knowledge on this issue. If you guys could shed some light that would be great!

• Members

Only an asshole would be able to tell the difference.

If you listen really closely to the upper mids of a strat with a swimming pool--right around 3 khz--you'll be able to hear a slight drop of about 1db. The Q value is very narrow. If you install stainless steel frets, it will compensate for some of the annoying loss of upper mids. If you really want to fix it, install the stainless steel frets, get a graph tech nut, a Callaham Titanium inertia block for your trem, Titanium bridge saddles, an Evidence Audio guitar lead, and a set of Tomastik Infeld Power Brights.

Of course all of this is going to cause the molecules of the wood inside the swimming pool rout to excite and realign themselves to a perfect north/south orientation (caused by the pickup magnets--duh!). You can measure the alignment using a simple electron microscope. Once the molecules have realigned, you are going to want to remove the stainless steel frets and the Calaham Titanium inertia block; otherwise you'll get a big bump in the 3 khz range. Also, deep six the graph tech nut and saddles and replace with natural bone (walrus tusk works best, but good luck finding it).

Best trem block for a swimming pool rout

http://www.longislandguitarparts.com/Tremolo_Parts-KTS_Titanium_Tremolo_Block_Vintage_Style_Tremolo.html

• Members

I'm curious if having that much open space in the body alters the sound in any way from a guitar with say a normal SSS routed body? Does it alter the resonance of the guitar maybe?

If you were to run a single bridge humbucker in a swimming pool routed guitar would (and how) would it sound different from a guitar that is routed for only one humbucker?

I have no knowledge on this issue. If you guys could shed some light that would be great!

I took this:

SDC10013.jpg

cut the middle part out so I could turn it into this:

SDC10582.jpg

I did notice a slight difference in unplugged tone.

Not in plugged in, other than I got a cool new pup to mess with.

It is a swimming pool rout now, btw

• Members

I took this:

SDC10013.jpg

SDC10582.jpg

wait wait wait wait wait

You mean to tell me that you took win and turned it into more win. That's amazing.

• Members

I have a 96 Lone Star Strat that I bought new after playing every strat I could lay my hands on in Houston, Dallas and Austin over a two week period. It really felt and sounded the best acoustically and it still is one of my favorite guitars even though I'm more of a Les Paul guy. It's a swimming pool route but I didn't know it until years later when I swapped some pickups on it. I have no idea if the route makes any difference but I do know it's a special guitar.

• Members

It mattered when Fender made the new American series (and discontinued the American Standard series) back in 2000 or so.

I remember the brochure had that as one of the new improved features.

I think because of that people started thinking it does.

• Members

If you listen really closely to the upper mids of a strat with a swimming pool--right around 3 khz--you'll be able to hear a slight drop of about 1db. The Q value is very narrow. If you install stainless steel frets, it will compensate for some of the annoying loss of upper mids. If you really want to fix it, install the stainless steel frets, get a graph tech nut, a Callaham Titanium inertia block for your trem, Titanium bridge saddles, an Evidence Audio guitar lead, and a set of Tomastik Infeld Power Brights.

Best trem block for a swimming pool rout

Wow that's a lot of expensive parts! I think the Tremolo alone was like $250! I'm building a spare parts guitar. I think the only thing that may make onto the guitar from the list is the graphtech nut lol.

• Members

I don't know. I don't think I've ever really liked the sound of any swimming pool strats, but I have no way of knowing if it was the route, or other issues with the guitar, that caused me to dislike them.

• Members

I took this:

SDC10013.jpg

SDC10582.jpg

That way you definitely get a bigger sound difference out of the magnet fields of the pickups messing with each other than any difference from the cavity.

(not that I say it's bad, but the effect is definitely bigger)

• Members

Allan Holdsworth thought it did at one point. His short lived Ibanez sig models had a "tone chamber" under the pickguard that was effectively the same as what became known as the swimming pool rout. I suspect the Charvels he was using before that may have been the same way. In any case it was most likely inspired by the Strat he played in the '70s, which had a lot of wood missing under the pickguard after he chiseled it out to install neck and bridge humbuckers.

Archived