Impress Me with old Groups I don't know about

CrankyDutchman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Colosseum - crossing the bridge between blues and jazz, then getting popular. Hiseman, Heckstall-Smith, Clemson etc

Nice -before they became stadium band ELP.

Family - Chapman, Ric Grech, etc plus violin

Traffic - Dave Mason, Steve Winwood......

Humble Pie - Marriott, Frampton.

Amon Duul 2 - freaky Germans

Curved Air - another violin band

Hawkwind - and their eternal silver machine

Love - with Arthur Lee and friends........

Velvet Underground with Nico, Sterling Morrison, Lou Reed.......

(ex-Small) Faces with Ronnie Wood, Ronnie Plonk Lane, Kenny Jones, etc Ogdens Nut Gone Flake.

Baker-Guervitz Army

Atomic Rooster

....................now I'm just getting silly.

• Members

Moby Grape (one of the original country-rock/San Francisco sound bands, screwed over royally by their label and vanished for a long time)

Hot Tuna (Jorma Kakounen, Jack Cassady, doing blues, need I say more?)

Dan Bern (not THAT old, mostly acoustic, some electric, kind of Dylanesque in some ways, the guitar is nothing too exciting, but he writes some damn good songs, check out "Chelsea Hotel", "Tiger Woods", "Missing Link", and many others).

Ten Years After

tHw9b4BBV9Y

• Members
HESITATION BLUES!

If you can find it anywhere (other than on a Janis Joplin boxed set if you're so inclined), there are some great recordings called "The Typewriter Tapes" that have Jorma and Jack on guitar and bass, an unkown individual on typewriter as percussion and Janis on vocals. They do a version of Hesitation Blues that's freakin' awesome :)

• Members

Good Call on Budgie!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Be-Bop Deluxe!! Live In the Air Age has some of the best guitar work ever!! If I could raid the divine archive and post an mp3 I would, I have yet to figger out how to post a YouTube Vid but here's a link:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=be+bop+deluxe&search_type=&aq=f

Archived