Dull sounding Tokai Love Rock - suggestions please

Vince

• Members

I haven't played my Tokai (1985 Love Rock, all original bar a new nut) for a while as it lacks sparkle. I'm aware that LP type guitars are meant to be darker than fenders, but mine seems overly so.

Acoustically it doesn't seem too bad, although the D string is very dull, but plugged in, even on the bridge pickup (stock) it lacks life. Would a new nut solve the issue? New wiring? New pickups even? Or should I not bother and just get another LP?

• Members

It might be just a coincidence, but I had an '85 Les Paul Custom that always sounded dull to my ears. The source probably was just low output pups, but the whole mojo on that thing left me uninspired. I eventually traded it for something that felt more alive to me.

• Members

It might be just a coincidence, but I had an '85 Les Paul Custom that always sounded dull to my ears. The source probably was just low output pups, but the whole mojo on that thing left me uninspired. I eventually traded it for something that felt more alive to me.

Hmm... interesting. Trouble is, I don't want high output pickups - I want nice, clear, vintage sounding pickups. It seems like there is just too much bass and low mids coming through and overpowering the high end.

Man, I sound like a corksniffer! What's my TGP login again:confused:

• Members

Hmm... interesting. Trouble is, I don't want high output pickups -
I want nice, clear, vintage sounding pickups.
It seems like there is just too much bass and low mids coming through and overpowering the high end.

Man, I sound like a corksniffer! What's my TGP login again:confused:

Have a look at Bare Knuckle (BKP) Mule pickups, if you're after an articulate, vintage type LP tone.

They aren't cheap but they're very good indeed.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

• Members

Dumb question maybe, but are the strings reasonably fresh? Try some new Brite Wires

I thought that last time I played it, so I changed the strings. But it didn't help.

I have just discovered that my amp doesn't work the way I expected! It's an AC30 clone (Valvetech Hayseed 15) and I was turning down the bass on the Top Boost channel, but this was increasing the bark that I was trying to get rid of. Turn the bass up, and the mid bark went away! :facepalm::confused::confused:

The guitar is still a bit dark though, but not as bad. I'll look into getting a different wiring kit, but I'm not sure I want to spend over

• Members

Pearly Gates pickups might help. I put Pearly Gates in an old Les Paul that I thought sounded dull and it was just the trick. The Pearly Gates pickups are slightly overwound and seem to pull out the highs more than a regular PAF pickup.

Max

The Pearly Gates is the darkest of the 6 different PAF style pickups that I own.

The Lover 55's have the most pronounced top end, and I have a set of Bustbucker Pros on my SG which have great mids and tight bass.

Another mod that will make more of a difference than you might think is a lightweight aluminum tailpiece.

Gotoh makes one that comes with aluminum studs and bolts for around $40.

The bolts fit into the bushings of my Gibsons without mods, but your Tokai may be a different standard.

RS Guitarworks makes reasonably priced stop tailpieces that come aged for your 24 year old guitar.

Also, try raising the pole piece below the D-string. I have to do this on a lot of my guitars. You might want to move your string gauge up a notch.

A lot of players dig those dark sounding guitars--Billy Gibbons for one.

• Members

By the way, I would try to keep that Tokai as original as you can. Those guitars are really creeping up in price, but buyers want them all original if they are going to pay the big bucks.

They don't seem to be doing that well on ebay at the moment :confused:

• Members

They don't seem to be doing that well on ebay at the moment
:confused:

Well with all due respect yours is a 50 which is the lowest model they made if I'm not mistaken. Most likely that meant cheaper electronics, pickups..etc Hopefully Ratae can give you some good ideas to turn it around. The build on the lower end japanese les pauls of that era was usually really good..they just cheapened out on the other details.

• Members

Well with all due respect yours is a 50 which is the lowest model they made if I'm not mistaken. Most likely that meant cheaper electronics, pickups..etc Hopefully Ratae can give you some good ideas to turn it around. The build on the lower end japanese les pauls of that era was usually really good..they just cheapened out on the other details.

Yeah - I'm aware it's the base model - it play's well though. I'm considering refinishing it actually - to an aged/faded sunburst rather than the black. Not sure if I can be arsed though

• Members

Yeah - I'm aware it's the base model - it play's well though. I'm considering refinishing it actually - to an aged/faded sunburst rather than the black. Not sure if I can be arsed though

Well if you want to consider it a project that would probably be a good idea. Shoot it with a nice nitro or something. New pickups and electronics and you would possibly have on hell of a player. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. Cause in the end it will cost you more than you'll ever get out of it. But hey sometimes it's not about re sale right?

• Moderators

The woods on the 50s were a tad hit n miss as well, with some pretty heavy 10lbers that were not as lively as some of the 80s and above. I have a Reborn Old LS80, which weighs 8lb 6ozs, and have the original Gotoh pups rewound by Bryan G. and have lifted the pots and their PCB, replaced them with CTS equivalents and added paper and oil caps (the Russian ones) and also an aged Faber parts lightweight aged tailpiece and bridge. It is now a superb LP with few peers. I have kept all the original parts, so can offer it for sale as both a brilliant player, but also as an original guitar, and a lot of buyers will prefer to buy a good player, but with the knowledge that they are still buying a potential investment. For some unknown reasons, Tokais, even 50s although to a lesser extent just keep appreciating, commanding in excess of

Archived