NGD!

Lex.Luthier

• Members

Been gassing for a Les Paul again but having had bad experience with 2 Gibsons I owned in the past I started to look at other brands. I had heard good things about vintage Burnys, Grecos & Tokais so I kept an eye out on Ebay and came across this beaut for the price of a new Epiphone:

Its a Mid 80's Burny Sykes LPC complete with mirrored pickgaurd:

gfbap1.jpg

gbdvd0.jpg

Bound fret ends!!

gfebgw4.jpg

Open book headstock and a brass nut!

ghsmf4.jpg

Gotoh hardware.

gmhpf9.jpg

gobhpf1.jpg

Its practically mint with no fret wear. Absolutely stunning!

• Members

I have one of the white Burny customs with that same truss rod cover and headstock inlay. If what I read on line is correct, the color of the cap in the control cavity will tell you when it was made...ballpark...I think it`s yellow cap is a `90s model...green cap is mid/late `80s with that olnay and truss rod cover. Mine still has the VH1 sticker on the pick-up rings...some guys think the black wire VH1s sound better than the gray wire, that the long neck tonon makes a difference in sustain but I tell ya...mine sounds great even when I`m playing it and it has a short tenon and gray wire. I see those Sykes models on line here quite a bit, especially recently so they are/were popular and older Burnys are gaining in collectability. Watched a TV show called Genesis...the songbook again last week and when they interview Steve Hackett he`s holding a black Burny with the same headstock inlay on his lap, some guys prefer the Gibson inlay but honestly sound and playablilty come well before stuff like that for me. Got mine for almost nothing `cause it had a piece of binding of about 1" missing on the fretboard...I bought a yard long piece of off white binding on line here, cut it to size, glued it in and Bobs your uncle.

Archived