NGD!

Lex.Luthier

• Members

Previously I have owned a LP Standard and an SG Special. The Special was the first Gibson I bought. Great player but it had a lot of finishing flaws, especially around the headstock which was grey around the edges. Eventually the laquer around those areas started to bloom (turn white). I never knew why it did this but none of my other nitro finished guitars had this problem.

The Standard I bought impulsively in a sale. It wasnt until I got it home that I noticed the terrible fretwork on it, for example the 15th fret was a good 1mm higher than the surrounding frets. I wouldnt have been able to get it to play nice without having to resort to a lot of fretwork so I brought it back for a refund.

I have played some great Gibsons so im not dismissing them as a whole, I'd just be very reluctant to buy one new again.

• Members

yeah a couple of years ago a local shop had a bunch of double cut Gibson Les Pauls at 50% off...I ran my hands down all the necks and all had fret problems, too bad `cause I wanted one. The frets felt rough, sharp ends, hurried, like they weren`t quite done with them yet. Ended up getting a Standard at the new years sale in 2008 that I really love, plays and sounds great...also got a used History...made by Fujugen for a chain of shops here...and the frets are beautifully finished, smooth as a baby`s butt. Even the low end Cool Z series have well finished frets, but I`m very happy with my Gibson Chet Atkins SST, so they can get it right when they wanna.

Archived