Anyone listen to music in a language you don't understand?

phaeton

• Members

Oh yeah, Brazilian music form the 60's. Portuguese is horny.

Yeah, I recently bought this 'Tropicalia' record with all kinds of 60's Brazilian psych rock. It's like these amazing salsa musicians just discovered analog delays and reverbs and just went nuts with them. Very cool stuff for sure.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure... from the Cocteau Twins all the way to people who sing in
real
languages. (I'll admit, it's bee a while for the Cocteaus but there was a period some years ago when I listened all the time.)

Lots of French, lots of Portuguese, quite a bit of Spanish. Those are the biggies.

I never could get into the Cocteau Twins. Wasn't a lyrical thing though, just didn't dig them musically.

• Moderators

Yeah, I recently bought this 'Tropicalia' record with all kinds of 60's Brazilian psych rock. It's like these amazing salsa musicians just discovered analog delays and reverbs and just went nuts with them. Very cool stuff for sure.

Yeah! I've got a neighbor. You look at him and you see a 63 year old, white, upper middle class straight guy. In actuality, he was born and raised in Brazil and plays his ass off. Psycho samba madness. He's a hell of a lot of fun to jam with.

• Members

I never could get into the Cocteau Twins. Wasn't a lyrical thing though, just didn't dig them musically.

You definitely have to be in the right mood. And have a fair bit of tolerance for 6/8 time, which, of course, is a big part of their trademark sound.

I'll admit... it's been a while since I listened to a big slug of them... I think I dropped the needle on one of their newer albums in Rhapsody but I just wasn't in the mood that day...

• Members
Two come to mind, though I'm certain there are more.

Dungen is a Swedish rock 'n roll band that seems to have stepped straight out of the golden age of psychedelia. Well worth checking out.

www.myspace.com/dungen

Os Mutantes was a really great Brazilian band that has been getting some exposure as of late. I heard one of their songs on a commercial recently. I read an article that referred to them as the Brazilian Beatles, as they were around at the same time and wrote really bizarre yet extremely catchy songs.

I cannot recommend either band enough. Dungen is just one guy (although obviously he tours with a band) who decided to learn every single instrument. His early stuff is especially great, but it's all good.

Os Mutantes is just great stuff. The compilation issued by David Byrne's Luaka Bop label a few years back is a decent place to start. There's also a Tropicalia compilation that features some Os Mutantes stuff that's also a good place to start.

• Members

Sigur Ros "( )" is such a beautiful album. No matter that you cannot understand the lyrics. It's seriously emotional and gorgeous.

Also, for you recording engineering fans, if I'm not mistaken, I believe it was recorded in a swimming pool. Erhm, uh, with the water emptied. :D

• Members

If anyone's heard my music, they can tell that I'm a big Cocteau Twins fan. I like most Cocteau Twins stuff, but mid-period is probably my favorite, somewhere around Victorialand or Blue Bell Knoll. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. They even did an intriguing collaboration with Hong Kong singer Faye Wong (Wong Faye for people in the H.K. or die-hard fans of Canto-pop).

Anyway, mid-period and later Cocteau Twins might be a little too "sugary" for some, and if so, go back to the earlier releases, where it was a little more dark and droney, with some really echo-laden feedback.

• Members

I just thought I'd mention Cafe Tacuba, here, who are one of my fave Mexican bands.

I wish to heck I could remember the name of the very popular regional band I used to see in the Ensenada area in the 70s... they were very cool, kind of Peter Gabriel period Genesis-like -- lots of keyboard and jazzy, psychedelic guitars; great players, cool songs... though my Spanish was never quite good enough to pick up more than bits and pieces... but then that's pretty much how I hear a lot of English language music, as well. ;) I'm pretty sure I'd remember the name if I heard it...

• Members
I cannot recommend either band enough. Dungen is just one guy (although obviously he tours with a band) who decided to learn every single instrument. His early stuff is especially great, but it's all good.

Os Mutantes is just great stuff. The compilation issued by David Byrne's Luaka Bop label a few years back is a decent place to start. There's also a Tropicalia compilation that features some Os Mutantes stuff that's also a good place to start.

I think Dungen is now a full band using the same drummer and guitarist that guested on the guy's first few records. They just put out the first record as a full band and apparently it is their best, according to friends of mine whose tastes I trust. Might be my next musical purchase.

I picked up that 'Tropicalia' album (on vinyl, no less :love:) and it's so good.

• Members

Probably half of the music i listen to is in a foreign language I don't understand. Half of the english lyrics these days are hard to make out. I have fallen behind on understanding the slang in rap. I also like wordless vocals. Has anyone ever heard Ursula Dudziak? She's fantastic. I also like Sigur Ros and Cocteau Twins.

The singer in my band does all wordless vocals also.

As I get older I find myself increasingly less interested in the personal problems and insights of people in their early twenties, and I have already heard enough love songs for two lifetimes already. So I find myself enjoying wordless or foreign langauage vocals more and more.

• Members

If anyone's heard my music, they can tell that I'm a big Cocteau Twins fan. I like most Cocteau Twins stuff, but mid-period is probably my favorite, somewhere around Victorialand or Blue Bell Knoll. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. They even did an intriguing collaboration with Hong Kong singer Faye Wong (Wong Faye for people in the H.K. or die-hard fans of Canto-pop).

Anyway, mid-period and later Cocteau Twins might be a little too "sugary" for some, and if so, go back to the earlier releases, where it was a little more dark and droney, with some really echo-laden feedback.

Yeah, the shoegaze-lite vibe may date, but Liz Frazer's voice will never date. Always, always worth listening to.

nat whilk ii

I do.

Just curious if anyone else does. It's an interesting concept, how music is different, yet the same, when you remove all lyrical meaning.

Thoughts?

Try recording music in a language you don't understand sometime. :)

While it's an interesting challenge because you don't know what the words are (and don't have that to work from in terms of emotion), the upside is you really have to let the timbre, the tone of voice and the music itself instruct you as to the emotional aspects, and work from that.

IMO, every engineer should try it at least once. :)

• Members

I've recorded Spanish language music several times, and yes, although I speak a little bit of Spanish, I'm far from fluent, and there is a tendency to really focus on pronunciation, timbre, emotion, etc. even more. At any rate, it's a really fun thing to do, and back when I did it, I was recording to tape, so it was a fun challenge to punch in some of the vocals (it wasn't that hard, actually).

Archived