VOM1T March 2015

garthman

• Members

Hello everyone.

It's nice to be back. I have been unable to enter text into the forum editor boxes. I've tried to get mods to sort the problem but without sucess. I've managed to get back in using Ubuntu OS on a spare computer but I would respectfully request that the problem is addressed since I would imagine all UK forunites will be similarly affected.

So - at last we have the March VOM. Lets have some songs please.

People may remeber that Kwak posted a thread several weeks ago about visiting friends and relatives in Carolina. Of course that prompted memories of the song "Carolina In My Mind". Now I first heard this song sung by Melanie on her "Candles In The Rain" album so that was the version I adapted for my own use. It must have been 30 years+ since I played it but when i read the thread I picked up my guitar, hit the record button and this is what came out, warts and all (LOL the perils of 1st take):

Carolina In My Mind

https://app.box.com/s/hvxxjubxuphz0y28oyvwb0ha5xu8ducr

Played on my nylon string dreadnought using Audacity and my compute microphone. 1st take.

• Members

Nice to hear you again garthman! Sounded great except it ended rather abruptly.

Gary, great song! You should get to Paris it really is a wonderful city. I found myself wishing I could live there when I went.

• Members

This is a 2 minute long Paul Westerberg from his first solo release "14 Songs". Being a Replacements fan I bought that Cd without even listening because I knew it would be great and it is. A great songwriter: OOefTi72sSA

• Members

Goodall RCJC capo'd 3 with a Zoom H4 pointed directly at the 12th fret from 18 inches, mic setting at mid position. I should have angled it up towards my face like I usually do because the vocals are back a bit in this recording. Strings are D'Addario EJ-15s, two weeks old.

The Dutchman - Steve Goodman

https://app.box.com/s/qhqxqmteqll97mmgb8rdt8eh3ne3zx1e

Edit: 1 take, 5 minutes ago.

• Members

Like the last VOM1T, everyone sounds really good. All professionals. Glad to be part of this community.

Here's an instrumental banjo song I wrote 8 or so years ago. Video was done about 5 minutes ago, a true 1 take.

• Members

Some really tasteful stuff this month - I hate you folks who can sing LOL.

Howard - great cover of a great song - I won't ask about the ending....

Gary - Interestingly I just finished reading a little mystery novel set in Paris in the 30's - kind of macabre story about a lot of the American expats living the bohemian life. Not a great book but a fun read. The twelve string sounds really good as does your singing.

Gil - that was sweet. Two minutes is way too short.

Idunno - Idunno how that could be better - thanks

And Pocock - welcome to the party. Upside down and backwards, eh?

• Members
Some really tasteful stuff this month - I hate you folks who can sing LOL.

Howard - great cover of a great song - I won't ask about the ending....

Gary - Interestingly I just finished reading a little mystery novel set in Paris in the 30's - kind of macabre story about a lot of the American expats living the bohemian life. Not a great book but a fun read. The twelve string sounds really good as does your singing.

Gil - that was sweet. Two minutes is way too short.

Idunno - Idunno how that could be better - thanks

And Pocock - welcome to the party. Upside down and backwards, eh?

For some reason the Photo Booth app on my mac... when I do video, everything is backwards. Weird.

• Members

idunno - excellent playing and singing

Pocock - hat's some nice banjo playing

Thanks for all the nice words about the Luna. The processed sound was not heard in the studio, only in the control booth; I would have preferred a bassier, less "electric" sound that the guitar is capable of providing. I was really sad when I heard how they processed the sound. Sadly, too many sound folks seem to like acoustic/electric guitars to sound electric. I have come to keep my bass off for the sound check and then turn it up as I play. Here, I had no idea what they were doing.

• Members

@ Gary.

I know what you mean. I have the on-boards in my guitars but when it comes to recording they aren't used. They can give a highly artificial character to the natural acoustics of the guitar. Taking that into the DAW then leaves me with working with something I'm not quite satisfied with from the start. So, now I use a couple condenser mics (fitted to the business end of the Zoom H4). They give a better quality of sound but nowhere near the quality of a single large condenser mic like the Studio Projects example I traded off a couple years ago. Dunce move.

The flip side of that, if you're going straight mic, is the knob turners on the board. Watch out for them. In the 70's they were to be reckoned with but the artists of the time still held sway over their own sound quality. These days the artists are given the boot and have to swallow what the board-geeks think in cool, which usually isn't.

If it means anything to you the recording is pretty good. The electronic sound is present but to a person who does not know the acoustic sound of your guitar they're probably none the wiser.

• Members

A bit late but here's my entry. Most of you know I'm a science fiction fan. There's an element within SF called "filk," songs with an SF or fantasy theme. Some are contemplative and serious; others are silly. This is one of the latter, an original titled "Don't Look At The Laser (With Your Remaining Eye)" to the tune of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" in (dis)honor of St. Patrick's Day:

http://www.tunescoop.com/play/333332353432/laser-mp3.

Played on my trusty Ibanez AW120 with d'Addario 80/20 lights, recorded with a Samson CO1U USB condenser mike and Audacity.

• Members

garthman - Nicely done. Hard to go wrong with James Taylor.

Gary Blanchard - Enjoyed that one. Makes me want to visit the "city of lights."

g6120 - Very nice. Kinda a Paul Simon vibe. You're right about his songwriting.

Freeman Keller - Well played as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Idunno - Great song well done, both vocals and playing.

Pocock - As a very poor banjo player I salute you. Well played.

• Members
Goodall RCJC capo'd 3 with a Zoom H4 pointed directly at the 12th fret from 18 inches, mic setting at mid position. I should have angled it up towards my face like I usually do because the vocals are back a bit in this recording. Strings are D'Addario EJ-15s, two weeks old.

The Dutchman - Steve Goodman

https://app.box.com/s/qhqxqmteqll97mmgb8rdt8eh3ne3zx1e

Edit: 1 take, 5 minutes ago.

That was really nice...

• Members

I don't do 1 takes because I'm not that good have never played out or with anyone so I sit alone and play for me and a few campfires..I wrote this and forgive me if I shared it already...don't remember...I may have. Finger picked with a drum track and another track for short riffs.

Archived