Is my '52 reissue a fake?

thom

• Members

Maybe it's because I don't trust human kind in general or maybe my instincts are actually spot on...

Either way I'd appreciate it if you guys would check out the pics of me new Fender '52 ri. At least that's what the seller told me it is. I don't think I've ever seen a brand new '52 from up close, but there's a couple of things that look kinda odd to me.

The body was intentionally f*cked up at some point, I guess to give it somekind of relic look. And obviously the pickups aren't original.

-Nothing stamped in the neck plate

-Chips in the finish don't resemble the chips in any of the other nitro finished fenders I've ever owned, but look more like a damaged poly finish.

-Not very clear on the pics, but the finish looks bright orange instead of the natural wood look you see on the pics. Not sure if that's normal for these models, but it's definatelly not what I tought "butterscotch blonde" would look like.

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01573.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

Anything else I should look at? Any close-up shots of other parts of the guitar I should upload?

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More pix would help! There's absolutely nothing stamped or written in the neck pocket? That's not a good sign. Did you buy it as a USA AVRI? Because, the finish is way to thick to be nitro so it's not one of those for sure. Maybe it's MIJ/CIJ, but it should say so. Personally, I think your instincts are good...I think it's a cheap partscaster that someone put a Fender sticker on. Hope I'm wrong!

Take off the pickguard and see what's under there...

• Members

It doesnt look right to me. Theres several things that throw up a question mark. The decal looks strange, neck plate and screws, the finish is definately wrong. Fender has been using poly for a long time now and even with they're laquered finishes, it doesnt chip like that, but cheesy imports do. From what I can see of the headstock, its shape looks wrong. so does the hand pocket. Too deep and too swayed across under the neck as well. The fake wear on the front is an obvious attempt to make it look old. Laquer finishes dont wear like that at all, and when they do the wood also darkens.

I'd say it a Frankenstein that wasnt built very well. Hopefully you didnt pay much for it. If it sounds good, thats fine. Just dont try an pawn it off as an actual Fender.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Most of you seem to be sure it's a fake partscaster...

There's a number stamped in the bridge. "Fender Patend 48459".

This is what the neck heel and neck pocket look like though:freak: :

DSC01578.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

• Members

Neck pu cavity:

DSC01581.jpg

Cavity for the control plate. Looks like installing the new pickups was the dude's first soldering experience:rolleyes:

Didn't check the wiring with a diagram yet btw, if anyone notices anything weird letme know please.

DSC01580.jpg

• Members

Real or fake, the neck stamp says 2004, not 2005 like the seller claimed. That's the least of my concerns ofcourse, I don't care if it's a year older then I tought.

But even though it was a killer deal, it was still too much money for a cheap partscaster.

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01582.jpg

• Members

I bought one when they first came out. The s # is stamped on the bridge plate and it does not say VINTAGE on the neck end. One of the last guitars made at the Fullerton plant. For a year they were made in Japan and they have VINTAGE stamped on the neck. If it smells like {censored} it probably is!

Archived