Any thoughts about Windows 8.1?

You're not alone Craig... based on several cautionary tales I read online regarding Windows 8 and the fact that everything I want to run seems to be compatible with Windows 7, that's what I went with for my new DAW PC build. So far, I like it a lot - it's not all that different than Windows XP, which IMHO is a good thing.

From what I've heard, Windows 8.1 is supposed to be better than Windows 8, and fixes some of the things that people complained about when 8 was released, but I don't really see any compelling reason for me to switch to it yet. If the software I want to run works with Win7 SP1 (64 bit), and I'm not using a touch screen with it, I don't really see any major advantages to using 8.1, but maybe that's just because I'm not aware of all it has to offer. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with it can describe the advantages and disadvantages...

• CMS Author

Actually, as much as I can, I'm clinging to Windows XP, though I keep my Win7 computers looking as close as I can to XP. I've encountered a few Win8 computers at friends' houses lately and I simply can't figure out how to go anywhere other than to follow the multicolored brick road. And the darn thing about is is that these have all been replacement computers and the people who own them can't figure them out either.

I don't have a reason to believe that there's anything wrong with the insides of Win8, but the user interface is so unfriendly to all but the casual user that it seems to stand in the way of those of us who make some attempt to understand what goes on under the keyboard.

• Members

Unless you're using mobile devices or touch screen, there's no advantage to getting 8 unless its with a new device. Its nothing but a Win ME thing and very few changes were made other then a bunch of GUI fluff. I messed around with it on a laptopn and other then having to relearn where everything is its no more than another pain in the ass having to learn what some code writer things is cool. If you have the time to spend learning it then go for it. You may find a couple of cool ways of doing things.

I had the IT department upgrade office this week. I had zero issues running the old system and could do the work I needed without thinking about it. Now I have a bunch of new menus that scatter all my go to menus and items I'd click on a simple task bar gone. I have to relearn where every thing is and its all split up by tabs I don't even need. The program takes 5 times longer to load and productivity goes down because I have to jack around finding the same things I always use.

There may be a few things in there that's cool for an advanced power user but everything else is exactly the same when you eventually do find it.

Chances are you ask someone at MS why they did that and their arrogant attitude will be, "It was our decision to do it that way and we don't need your advice. Get with it or get over it"

• Members

Sadly, it's not the 'real' Start Button nor does it act like it. You can, apparently, get third party add-ins that will modify W8 to work more like previous versions. It is said that W8.1 is better than W8.0.

That said, lately I've found myself so annoyed by the clunky Android UI that I've actually found myself thinking that I might well leave Android behind at some point in the not-too-distant future. That said, much of what's become so infuriating in Android seems to be problems that arise from the limits and hassles of tablets, themselves.

When Android was just a replacement for clunky feature phones, it seemed brilliant. But now what people are trying to run their lives out of their phones and tablets -- the limitations of Android and tablets themselves become ever more vexing.

Think of all the times you go to use some important app on your phone or tablet and the mobile version doesn't even have the features you need and you have to go to the desktop version.

For instance, Skype is a TOTAL MESS in Android. It's a joke. (This is, of course, now coming out of MS's wheelhouse, but Skype was always crapped up, for sure, designed by poorly trained monkeys, seemingly.) You can't even control basic functions of the system or access many of your account details from the app. You HAVE to access it from the desktop to get into stuff. It's just a freakin' joke. That said, who knows what it looks like on a Win 8 RT tablet, you know?

• Members

I started using Windows 8 (later updated to 8.1) when I got a new pc last year. After a few days, I was completely comfortable with it, and even preferred it to XP.

While the tiled start screen and its apps are more useful on a touch screen and mobile devices, with 8.1, you don't even have to go there, you can boot right to the desktop, and have the look and feel of traditional windows with the exception of having the hot corners to access some of the features.

If you choose to use apps on the tiles screen, a touch screen is not a requirement, it works fine with a mouse.

I've also had a Windows 8.1 tablet for a few months. I tend to use more of the tiled apps on the tablet because they are designed for the smaller screen.

I like having the same OS features available on all my devices.

• Members

I have not used Windows 8 very much, just very quickly on a borrowed computer, and that was probably just for launching a browser and turning it on and off. But a lot of people keep telling me that once you get used to it, it's a pretty great OS. Their comments were for Windows 8, and not 8.1, though.

I have Windows 7 and love it.

• CMS Author
I started using Windows 8 (later updated to 8.1) when I got a new pc last year. After a few days, I was completely comfortable with it, and even preferred it to XP.

While the tiled start screen and its apps are more useful on a touch screen and mobile devices, with 8.1, you don't even have to go there, you can boot right to the desktop, and have the look and feel of traditional windows with the exception of having the hot corners to access some of the features.

Does anyone else know how to do this? Why doesn't everyone who has fallen into Win8 just make it look and feel like "traditional" Windows?

Why not pass on that trick here and let's see if other Win8 users who can't get the hang of the Win8 standard user interface agree with you?

• Moderators

Win 9 is coming fairly soon, I'd hold out for that. NOT designed by the group who did Win 8, they've mostly left MS according to industry articles.

Meanwhile I have XP on a desktop and a netbook, Vista on a notebook (actually pretty good OS after all the patches), and Win7 64 bit on my wife's new desktop.

Terry D.

• Members
Full Windows on the tablet' date=' right, Jeff? Not just RT?[/quote']

Right. I have the 64GB version of the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's a full Windows 8.1 computer in an 8" tablet.

@MikeRivers - The reason to make Windows 8 look and feel like traditional Windows is, IMHO, because that is what works best with traditional Windows applications on a large monitor. Actually, if you open a Microsoft Office application, like Excel, or Word from the new tiled Start menu, it opens up Office 2010, 2013, or what ever version you have installed. You can open the older apps from the new Start screen if you want to, but on my desktop, I prefer doing things the way I have for the last 20 years (launching programs from groups within icon folders on my desktop).

• Members

I'm 28 years old and I joined the online world in 1995.

I don't feel like us old Windows NT and Windows 95 users should switch to windows 8 until windows 7 becomes useless like windows nt and 95 had become in 2001.

My windows 7 works just as good as the windows 8 my family and friends use.

I'll only make they switch when the after windows has become discontinued like the old windows xp.

If you all have the cash and knowledge for windows 8 then go for it.

I'll skip windows 8 and wait for windows 9 :)

• Members

I won't be changing from XP anytime soon (If ever) for the studio. I've experienced Win 8 in the wild and its a big frustration. I just cannot hang with changing something that was working to something else just for the sake of change. Following Windows should give us some advantages, like familiarity and not such a steep learning curve. Otherwise why not just dump the whole mess and go Mac or Linux?

I use Win XP in classic view (AKA Win 98). It's nice to have a GUI that you have a history with. Imagine the steering wheel of the new model of your favorite car suddenly being on the right where the passenger seat was. This is what Win 8 seems like compared to XP. I'm just not impressed.

• CMS Author
See if this works for you' date=' Mike.[/quote']

It won't work for me since I don't have Windows 8 on any of my computers, but maybe someone else here will pick it up and give it a try.

I guess I've never seen a familiar desktop on a Win8 computer, but then that's because I've never dug into one. I just see all those rectangles and feel like everything is hiding in plain sight. If there's one for "desktop" the icon hasn't been apparent to me. Once you have a desktop, can you put shortcuts to applications and folders on to it like you can with old Windows?

• Members
I won't be changing from XP anytime soon (If ever) for the studio. I've experienced Win 8 in the wild and its a big frustration. I just cannot hang with changing something that was working to something else just for the sake of change. Following Windows should give us some advantages, like familiarity and not such a steep learning curve. Otherwise why not just dump the whole mess and go Mac or Linux?

I use Win XP in classic view (AKA Win 98). It's nice to have a GUI that you have a history with. Imagine the steering wheel of the new model of your favorite car suddenly being on the right where the passenger seat was. This is what Win 8 seems like compared to XP. I'm just not impressed.

Thank You,Beck for saying what I wanted to say but Didn't know how to say it. :)

I wish your family,friends, and your self a happy summer year. :)

• Members

Does anyone else know how to do this? Why doesn't everyone who has fallen into Win8 just make it look and feel like "traditional" Windows?

Why not pass on that trick here and let's see if other Win8 users who can't get the hang of the Win8 standard user interface agree with you?

Sorry Mike, I was kind of rushed before, and didn't notice your question.

The link that Ken provided shows how to make 8.1 boot to the desktop instead of the start screen. If you boot to the start screen, you just have to click on the Desktop Tile to go to the desktop. There's no trick, once you're on the Desktop, it looks like traditional Windows. There are some differences, like the Desktop Icon is not in the task bar, but you get the same function by left clicking the lower right corner of the screen. Some of the menu items that were in the old Start Menu (like Control Panel and shutdown) are available in a menu that pops up when you right click the lower left corner of the screen. You can also shutdown from the "Charms Bar" that comes up when you move the pointer to the upper right, or lower left corner (on my touch screen tablet, the Charms Bar comes up when swipe from the left side of the screen.

That's probably the bulk of what you have to know to use Windows 8.1 in Desktop mode.

• CMS Author

Sorry Mike, I was kind of rushed before, and didn't notice your question.

The link that Ken provided shows how to make 8.1 boot to the desktop instead of the start screen. If you boot to the start screen, you just have to click on the Desktop Tile to go to the desktop. There's no trick, once you're on the Desktop, it looks like traditional Windows.

Thanks. I think I'll be visiting a Win8 computer next week and I'll give it a look. Once you're on the desktop, can you still create shortcuts with icons by right-clicking like on OldeWindows?

• Members

Thanks. I think I'll be visiting a Win8 computer next week and I'll give it a look. Once you're on the desktop, can you still create shortcuts with icons by right-clicking like on OldeWindows?

Yes, here is a screenshot of my Desktop full of shortcuts and folders that contain shortcuts:

Image1a-1.jpg

And a screenshot of an opened Desktop folder that contains shortcuts.

Just like previous versions, except in the folder of shortcuts, there isn't a way of displaying just the shortcuts without the navigation tree on the left smiley-frustrated

Image1b.jpg

Also, FYI, You can "pin" a shortcut to the new Start Menu, and it will appear as a tile on the Start Menu. Tiles can be organized into named groups, so that is sort of like the old Start menu, but of course it looks different. Also if you page down from the Start Menu, you will see every program that is installed on the computer.

• Members

Just bought a new touchscreen laptop with 8.1. Had a friend present when I set it up & his presence made finding everything easy. Set it up to boot to Desktop, then I pinned all my apps to the bottom. Actually with a little help, everything has gone smooth. Installed latest version of Works 2013, & the one other program I installed works fine in 8.1. Bought a wireless mouse, but I use touchscreen also. So far I have no complaints. I've been using computers since the time when you started with an A: or C:. When Windows was introduced that was a major adjustment. I wondered where do I type the path in order to get to where I need to go! I am accustomed to changes in the computer world. Smart phone users should be able to make this transition without much trouble.

• Members

I'm using Win8.1 on a brand new ThinkPad (I seldom upgrade but get a new OS with a new computer). Although I have a Win7 computer, this one replaces an old XP ThinkPad that just refuses to die.

Like any Windows upgrade, it takes a bit of getting used to. I installed Start Menu X to bring back a more functional and more familiar Start Menu. I'm using the free version, but I'll upgrade soon after I transfer a few more apps over. It's only a couple of bucks and the developer deserves something for his work.

As far as the OS is concerned, I like a few things a little better and a few things a little worse, but I think that is about par for the course. I am not nearly as frustrated with it as I thought I would be judging by all the negative press it got.

The biggest problem is that some of my very old programs won't work on it. I know, I know I can replace them with newer ones, and in most cases the newer ones will work better but I had this nice reminders app that brought up daily reminders when I booted in the morning. It's been working since Win95. I found a new one that's free (I paid for the old one) but I had about 200 different reminders that had to be entered and checked one at a time. And my old Win95 version of Master Tracks Pro won't work. I have the newer edition, but I really liked the old one better - bulletproof, uncomplicated, bug free, and simple but powerful. The new Passport says they are going to revive it for Win 8. A couple of others don't work or work with quirks but again, they are really old, pre-XP apps.

I like new computers, but dislike the migration process. It just takes too much time. I could have booted with Win7, but I figured Win8 will be supported for longer and that will stall the next migration.

I don't think you'll have a problem with it - it's not the fearsome beast that I heard about. But then, I remember when XP came out, people warned everybody to stay with Win98SE as XP was a dog, and it turned out to be pretty good for it's day. It seems the people having trouble adjusting do most of the posting, and the ones without any major problems just get on with what they are doing - I think that's human nature.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Well I have posted many of my thoughts on Win8.1 in the past year but I can't find the thread.

Anyway in a nutshell, it is fine while working on a single app, but it is a major pain every time you want to add or update an application. It took almost 45 minutes just to install Nikon Camera software just now, including a 10 minute wait for "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer" All it was doing was installing a RAW codec and it required a RESTART!! I admit that I'm not on this every day and that causes big problems because there seems to be new updates every MINUTE on this thing.

Dan

• Members

In what way did it take 45 minutes to install Nikon software? I ask because in every computer I have ever used, including Win7, it took maybe two minutes to install Nikon View NX 2. If that. What about the process took 45 minutes, 10-minute wait aside? I'm not doubting you, just curious. That seems absurd.

Archived