The new John Mayer CD: "Continuim"

Jotown

• Members

I have to say that I am really digging this CD!

I had heard the song "Waiting on the world to change" on the radio and I thought it was Ben Harper. I was watching Oprah on Wednesday and I saw John Mayer doing the tune with his band so I went out and got the CD.

It was produced by John Mayer and one of my favorite drummers in the world Steve Jordan. For those who are familiar with John Mayers previous work you will be surprised. There is very little acoustic guitar on it and just about every song features Mayer on his Strat.

The boy can play (to my surprise) he has got a great blues tone and is very tasteful in his solo's and fills. Steve Jordan (drums) and Pino Palladino (bass) lay down funky grooves on just about every track. They are both NY studio vets and they definitely bring out the best in Mr. Mayer.

The songs, the mix, the vocals, the guitar playing and the other musicians make this a very cool album by a talented young singer/songwriter/musician who has truly come of age here. :thu:

• Members

He got really big and famous doing the breezy pop stuff, and now he's turning it around and (hopefully) doing more of what he wants to do. Would you say this assessment is correct? And if so, is that a management problem? I'm not attempting to be contentious so much as wondering how much of this is his doing, his management's doing, and whether I'm even correct in assuming that he's doing more of the kind of music he wants to do now.

• Members

I think you are right, Ken, as I puzzle this. The management thing that I was thinking of related to the packaging and steering. I think the high concept for that was "Dave Matthews for girls".

It mostly worked.

Rolling Stone estimates for 2004.

I think that the formula (again, as I speculate) was limiting. I think that he can play whatever he wants to play well. I think that he may have a longer shelf life if he plays music that is more him and less formula.

this may be the responsible party...

• Members
Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

He got really big and famous doing the breezy pop stuff, and now he's turning it around and (hopefully) doing more of what he wants to do. Would you say this assessment is correct?

To a degree, he still mixes in his older breezy stuff now and then, but I think he was somewhat versatile all along. I don't think management has anything to do with it, he's just doing what he want's. Last I looked, his career isn't exactly suffering.

• Members

ok, I was doing the speculation by smell. So, if I have to start backing up my rant --

Rolling Stone interview:

He had begged his label and management not to release "Daughters" -- the only acoustic tune on his second album, Heavier Things -- as a single, fearing that it would cement his image as a teeny-bopper-pleasing softy. "I saw that as career death," he says. His manager, Michael McDonald (no, not the Doobie Brother), remembers a "battle" over the song. Mayer lost.

Jam canoe ca

Mayer doesn't want to rule the world, per se. But as far as the music industry goes, he would like to rule a small part of it.

"They need to put me up in the record company, high up, and I will change the whole system," he says.

"Usually people don't stay in these companies long enough to think past saving their own asses. So my condition would be that they have to keep me in there for at least five years.

"And the first two years, they wouldn't even see me. Because I would be down in the trenches bringing people up."

Mayer came up as an artist on Aware records (see the other link above). Aware records functioned as a sort of A&R boutique releasing samplers, records with a variety of artists. They parlayed that into a custom label deal with Columbia.

I don't think I was too far off. :)

• Members

Well..... since Mayer actually produced this record and since he used different musicians than on his previous releases I think that it is a safe bet that this CD is more along the lines of what he wants to be doing.

I dug a lot of the stuff on his earlier CD's but his label was clearly trying to keep him in the acoustic guitar singer/songwriter box. I had seen him on Carson Daly with a strat doing a solo thing with a looper and It was clear then that he had chops; although there was no evidence of this on his recordings.

As far as his management and career. It seems he has been red hot the last three years. He has worked with every body who is anybody, he has gotten tons of press and TV exposure. His CD's do very well as do his tours.

Seeing him on Oprah shows his stature and his connections. I think that his career is in great shape and I think the issues he has with his label are pretty typical battles that many artists go through when they try to change the formula that the label thinks is working.

Anyway; it is a great CD and would love to hear from someone else who has heard it.

• Members

He got really big and famous doing the breezy pop stuff, and now he's turning it around and (hopefully) doing more of what he wants to do. Would you say this assessment is correct? And if so, is that a management problem? I'm not attempting to be contentious so much as wondering how much of this is his doing, his management's doing, and whether I'm even correct in assuming that he's doing more of the kind of music he wants to do now.

My sister belongs to his fan club and in the Spring of `04 maybe or `03. It was between his first and second record. Anyway... she was invited to attend a private party with him and about 100 more fans. She invited me so I went too. He played an acoustic the entire night with a bass player who I do not remember his name (but it wasn`t his current bassist).

I went in thinking this is just a cool thing to do with my sister but I was completely overwhelmed with his talent. For the first time since I heard of Mayer, I realized he was the real thing and his label completely fouled up with where they wanted to place him. And just to sit the record straight, he played Daughters that night and introduced it as one of his newest songs that would most likely appear on his next record. I knew it was a hit as he was singing it so I think Mayer would have had that song on the record no matter what, however he may have wanted to go with another single...

I agree with Ken on this too that Mayer is pushing the buttons now that he has success and I`m glad because he has the talent and it would be good to start seeing other artists of this calibre tell labels what they`re going to do instead of the other way around.

Peace,

EB

• Members

Originally posted by Jotown:

"although there was no evidence of this on his recordings."

Originally posted by tamoore

You weren't really listening then....
:cool:

Lead Electric Guitar chops my friend; not acoustic guitar chops. :cool:

I have his first two major label releases and I don't believe that there is a lead guitar solo (electric) on either of them.

I knew he was a very good guitar player because I had to actually learn his songs; sit down and figure them out. Most of the singer/songwriter dudes I can figure out in my head without even picking up my guitar. On his I had to really listen because he plays some very unconventional chords (he went to Berklee after all)

What I am talking about are his blues/strat chops. This is the first major label relase of his (besides trio which was live) in which he shows his blues lead chops.

And just like his acoustic guitar playing he does it very well. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Jotown

Lead Electric Guitar chops my friend; not acoustic guitar chops.

I have his first two major label releases and I don't believe that there is a lead guitar solo (electric) on either of them.

I knew he was a very good guitar player because I had to actually learn his songs; sit down and figure them out. Most of the singer/songwriter dudes I can figure out in my head without even picking up my guitar. On his I had to really listen because he plays some very unconventional chords (he went to Berklee after all)

What I am talking about are his blues/strat chops. This is the first major label relase of his (besides trio which was live) in which he shows his blues lead chops.

And just like his acoustic guitar playing he does it very well.
:eek:

Ahh.... Ok. I got into John Mayer after hearing him play on the Grammy awards broadcast back several years ago.. He pulled out some tricks on the acoustic that just blew me away... I bought his first album the next day...

I'm most likely the minority, in that I prefer the acoustic John Mayer to the electric one - and I know for a fact that the acoustic pop stuff is in his heart - he wasn't pressured into doing that by anyone The first album that he recorded was an indie release (Inside Wants Out) filled with acoustic songs that he would later be 'forced?' into doing full band arrangements for (Room For Squares). My Stupid Mouth, No Such Thing, Neon, etc. - which I believe are all more powerful in acoustic form than they turned out on the later produced electrified versions.

And Mayer, IMO, was showcasing his blues licks as early as Room for Squares, as shown in the song City Love, for example, and on a few tracks from Heavier things....Only Heart and Come Back to Bed, from memory...

I'll be glad when he finally gets recognition for being a phenomenal guitar player and songwriter. He took a lot of crap early on for writing pop hits like 'Your Body is a Wonderland', but that is a pretty damn good song, really. ;)

• Members

I'm most likely the minority, in that I prefer the acoustic John Mayer to the electric one - and I know for a fact that the acoustic pop stuff is in his heart - he wasn't pressured into doing that by anyone

I agree with you. If you didn't catch the gist of my original post; I think he is very talented whether playing acoustic or electric.

And I don't think anyone forced him to do the acoustic thing; it

• Members

Dr. John Mayer was the principal at Central High School in Bridgeport when I graduated in '75. He was kind of stuffy from what I remember. I was suprised to find out that he is John Mayer's father, so I guess his son turned out alright.:cool:

• Members

Well, I liked the stuff on his first album, just fine. With the exception of "Wonderland", anyway.

The reality of it for me was, NOBODY...and I mean NOBODY...had written a song like "All This Time" in YEARS. And to have it on the radio was euphoric for me. So, i got the album, and there's afew more tunes on there that I liked, like "Neon". Good stuff.

"Heavier Things" was distorted. I don't blame JJ Puig. Someone bitchslap whoever mastered that. I liked a couple of tunes off of that, but it sorta fell flat with me.

"Waiting", from the new one, is very boring to me. I also suspect that it's the near-dud of the album, as most record companies--at this stage of an artists' career--tend to want to tap the mediocre tunes for first single.

I've yet to hear the rest of the album. In the meantime, I'm content with his collaborations with Scofield and Hancock.

• Moderators

It's funny...

I've liked the guy all along. We all complain about not having truly talented people in the "Hit Parade". Along comes a very talented singer / guitarist / writer that's doing very good work, the first album included... and he gets the musician's cold shoulder. ???

You know what I mean?

I agree as someone said above, the first album isn't a hoodwink. Those are very good songs he wrote from the heart. Just because he's held back on his electric guitar on his first may have been a career move, but good on him. He's a fabulous acoustic player. I'd die to be able to play acoustic like that. :)

His voice isn't always my cup of tea, but a lot of times it works quite well. He's really managed to create someting interesting and unique if not a little on the Micheal Franks side, and that's great.

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

I think you are right, Ken, as I puzzle this. The management thing that I was thinking of related to the packaging and steering. I think the high concept for that was "Dave Matthews for girls".

Does that mean Dave Matthews is for macho types? ;):D

Just kidding.

To be slightly contrarian, what about the idea that Mayer's marketing people are going koo-koo to push the "new" John Mayer, and expand his audience? But how much of this "new" stylization is promotional? Who said "Oh, {censored} he wants to play solos! We need a new marketing campaign." ? Playing good songs is somehow exclusive of good musicianship?

For instance, would Eric Clapton have been an ongoing success after the whole BluesBreakers/Cream thing if he didn't have good songs to sing?

Mayer is kind of the reverse situation. He earned his rep a song guy, and now he's showcasing more musicianship. It wouldn't work if he couldn't back it up.

I think the guy is talented and can play whatever he wants. He wrote the songs on Room for Squares and he's also listed as a producer on there as well; he wrote the songs on Heavier Things. I think the big godsend* was being invited to play Clapton's Crossroads festival.

So I repeat, who said "Oh, {censored} he wants to play solos! We need a new marketing campaign." ? Playing good songs is somehow exclusive of good musicianship?

*(Godsend. Clapton is God. Get it? haha :D)

• Members

Originally posted by Ed A.

Dr. John Mayer was the principal at Central High School in Bridgeport when I graduated in '75. He was kind of stuffy from what I remember. I was suprised to find out that he is John Mayer's father, so I guess his son turned out alright.

I wonder if the elder Mayer ever approved of his son running through the halls of his high school and screaming at the top of his lungs. :)

I don't care for hardly any current artist but I like Mayer a lot. He's the only one who bothers to use nice chords and chord changes in his songs.

• Members

I think we can all agree that even if you don`t like his songs, he is just a very talented musician. I agree with using the "nice" chords. He is clearly coming from a point of using chords and melodies that serve the song, rather than trying to fit into what the radio will play, like a Nickelback for example.

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley

I think we can all agree that even if you don`t like his songs, he is just a very talented musician. I agree with using the "nice" chords. He is clearly coming from a point of using chords and melodies that serve the song, rather than trying to fit into what the radio will play, like a Nickelback for example.

Totally.

The sad thing is, using "nice chords" automatically pegs you as "old school" for some reason. That's the first thing people say about my music. But I guess that's a compliment...

• Members

He has sold millions of CD's

He tours to packed houses constantly.

He has gotten to work with some of the biggest names in the Biz.

Who cares what some folks say?

He is very talented cat having a great career.

The rest is mere comentary.

• Members

hey. I certainly wasn't dissing the guy. And there is not a single negative comment about him in the thread. We all seem to like him and we wish for him to do well and even be happy.

His records have sold pretty well. But he will earn more from touring -- and his softball positioning would keep him from headliner status. He was out with Sheryl Crow earlier this year. He will do better when he is not opportunistically pigeon-holed (yes, that was a Sheryl Crow pun). That was my only point, it was not intended to diminish his work which has always caught my ear.

• Members

It is SOOO awesome to see John's name on the boards - he was also featured in ToneQuest report, which I also love, being a guitarist and all.

I first got into Mayer in college - I went to Emory in Atlanta - and he played a show for 8 of us at the coffeeshop there in 2000. I was on my way from jazz band rehearsal, so I had my guitar with me, and he asked me to come up and jam with him for a tune. Little did I know what I was getting into. I followed him in the club/coffeeshop/bookstore scene in Atlanta from 2000 to 2001, and was struck by his songwriting - "running through the halls of my high school" sounds a lot more poignant with just an acoustic behind - but especially his guitar chops were incredible. His stuff is complex and difficult to play yet tasteful, his harmonies are very hip (one promo at Eddie's Attic called him a "jazz-pop sensation"), and his rhythm and feel are incredible. He was playing mostly shows with just his bassist, David Labruyere, who recorded the first to album and has been touring with him - Pino Palladino played bass with John and Steve Jordan in the John Mayer Trio, and he layed down the low notes on Continuum as well. He was playing acoustic out of necessity - the singer/songwriter + bass just doesn't play electric, cuz it sounds weird, and so he played acoustic. Anyway, I saw him about a dozen times in the small venues, including when he announced his Columbia/Aware deal during the chorus of "No Such Thing":

I just can't wait til my 5-year reunion

Im gonna bust down the double-doors

And when I stand on these tables before you

You'll know that I'm recording for COLUMBIAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

(audience goes insane)

Anyway, the first album was solid, but the songs from the demo (Inside Wants Out, currently available on Columbia/Aware) just sound contrived to me. The ones newly developed for the record were good though: Why Georgia, 3x5, City Love, 83, St Patricks Day. Not enough guitar though - a little more poppy than wanted, but still good. Heavier Things was a baby step in right direction, as it was heavier, but still too poppy. He was, however, able write songs for the studio band instead of writing the for solo acoustic and have to adapt them to the band for the record, which I think accounted for a more natural sounding album.

Then the Trio - it was there all along waiting to get out: I'd seen John play shows with Buddy Guy and Double Trouble, and other all-blues shows, both of which were more bluesy than "Try!" but at least he did it - played "power blues fusion" that showcased his guitar. Since this a recording forum, I should note that Try! is a pretty bad sounding live album - everything sounds waaay! too in your face, especially the low frequencies, which give it a really muddy, poopy-like sound. It's basically like a decent bootleg, which I don't think JM3 was goin for. That aside, this record set the stage to put it all together and make his really coming out party - Continuum.

This album is just incredible. The single, "Waiting for the World to Change," is easily my least favorite. It just gets better from them there, and brings some solid tracks in the first half (first side? man I wish this were a vinyl), but then turns Stop This Train starts this amazing barrelhouse all the way home that is just song-after-song-after-song of brilliance, and it closes nicely too. I get the same excitement about this part of the album that I get when listening to You Never Give Me Your Money on Abbey Road, knowing that from here on in it's gonna be awesome pretty much without pause.

And Continuum is his best production to date. John and Steve decided to give MTV/Candy Pop the middle finger and do it the way they wanted, with GUITAR!!! A solo and just about every song, multiple tracks of sweet and slick guitar textures abound. Now the organ takes a backseat (nicely, on Gravity especially). I absolutely love the vocals on Gravity, Vultures, and Stop This Train, and the guitar sound divine on Gravity and Slow-Dancing in a Burning Room. And the Bold as Love cover is quite well done.

I can't say enough good things about the album and the man. I hope this is just the beginning, but that doesn't mean I'm not reaping the benefits now.

Archived