The new John Mayer CD: "Continuim"

Jotown

• Members

Say what you will about my words, my voice, my behavior

but end it up with "But I gotta hand it to the guy, he can play"

http://www.johnmayer.com/blog/john/200609

At first I wrote him off as an unfortunate Dave Matthews clone (and as far as I'm concerned, one Dave Matthews is one too many) but I am really digging the new album and I gotta hand it to the guy, he can play.

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

His records have
sold
pretty well.

I will assume that you were being sarcastic here.

"Pretty well!?" :confused:

The guy has gone multi-platinum twice and Continuim is already platinum and it his tour to support it hasn't even begun.

For someone who doesn't dance half naked, or set his hair on fire, and who doesn't have a guest rapper on his single, and who has never been shot......... these are amazing numbers. :eek:

When you consider that he produced the first one and writes all of his material you must know that he is making millions of dollars on his CD's. :cool:

That is a bit better than "pretty well" in my opinion. :)

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

Ahh.... Ok. I got into John Mayer after hearing him play on the Grammy awards broadcast back several years ago.. He pulled out some tricks on the acoustic that just blew me away... I bought his first album the next day...

I'm most likely the minority, in that I prefer the acoustic John Mayer to the electric one - and I know for a fact that the acoustic pop stuff is in his heart - he wasn't pressured into doing that by anyone The first album that he recorded was an indie release (Inside Wants Out) filled with acoustic songs that he would later be 'forced?' into doing full band arrangements for (Room For Squares). My Stupid Mouth, No Such Thing, Neon, etc. - which I believe are all more powerful in acoustic form than they turned out on the later produced electrified versions.

And Mayer, IMO, was showcasing his blues licks as early as Room for Squares, as shown in the song City Love, for example, and on a few tracks from Heavier things....Only Heart and Come Back to Bed, from memory...

I'll be glad when he finally gets recognition for being a phenomenal guitar player and songwriter. He took a lot of crap early on for writing pop hits like 'Your Body is a Wonderland', but that is a pretty damn good song, really.
;)

Tamoore,

Did you check out "I'm Gonna Find Another You"? Lyric reminded me of "Does She Have a Sister" quite a bit.

• Members

Spokenword: I am not sure what your point is?

All successful recording artists make a ton of money both on the road and on their record royalties; especially when they write and produce themselves and get a {censored}load of radio play.

John Mayer is making 10's of millions on his records and 10's of milions on his touring.

So he is doing quite well.

And I am very cheerful? :D

See? :)

But back to the point of this thread;

Have you heard the new CD yet? :confused:

• Members

He gets bashed mercilessly on these (and other gear'ish forums) but... I gotta say, I liked Heavier Things a lot, and the new one is growing on me too.

On the other hand...Try - is the worst sounding cd I have bought in a heck of a long time. I may not be squashed as a System of a Down cd, but the sonic balance is so way off... it is hardly listenable. I mean... since he is such a SRV fan, he should compare his live to SRV's... even if the Stevie release is not up to Stevie's standards, it shames the Try cd.

• Members

A rarely heard gem is "My Stupid Mouth" (acoustic) released as part of an Aware Records sampler. Much better than the LP version, in my opinion- really natural. It feels more like a first-person account or narrative, than lyrics set to music.

It was cool seeing him play with Double Trouble at Austin City Limits as well. Didn't seem like the next SRV to me, but his enthusiasm and chops, mixed with his already proven songwriting abilities, suggested to me that he would develop with age.

I just hope the kid doesn't sef-destruct... I heard he has a penchant for delivering offensive stand-up comedy...

• Members
Originally posted by Hanshananigan

It was cool seeing him play with Double Trouble at Austin City Limits as well. Didn't seem like the next SRV to me, but his enthusiasm and chops, mixed with his already proven songwriting abilities, suggested to me that he would develop with age..........I just hope the kid doesn't sef-destruct... I heard he has a penchant for delivering offensive stand-up comedy...

That

• Members

I like the new disc a lot. His voice sounds much more natural/less forced and the production is more roots than pop oriented. Great song writing across the board.

However, now that I've seen 2 of his concerts on Direct TV I really wish his playing was a little less restrained on his albums because he is very, very good.

On the most recent (showing this month) he takes a great tap harmonic solo bending to pitch behind the nut. I've never seen anyone do it with the pitch accuracy he gets.

I can't wait to see him live.

• Members

Not impressed in the least with this album...After about 10 spins of it, I don't think it's going to grow on my anymore...I dug Squares. Heavier Things was alright, and this album is lacking in that pop/singer-songwriter sentiment that attracted me to him....I don't need another Eric Clapton, so that prospect doesn't do it for me...His guitar playing isn't impressive and his tones are ordinary, so that aspect doesn't do it for me...I do think he has tremendous potential and talent and it seems he's an artist still trying to find himself. I will follow his career with interest and wish him the best. I saw the Trio At the Borgata in Atlantic City last year and have seem him with the full pop/rock ensemble as well. I'm sure he'll get a lot better as a player as he matures. His vocals are finally listenable though which i find to me, has been his biggest growth area.

• Members

Yes, his voice is definitely improved with "Continuum" which I always found to be his weakest link.

Anyway, I think this record puts him at another level for me. I`m looking forward to his future work.

Mayer is refreshing in an industry that is laden with pre-fabricated looks and sounds. I support him and hope he makes a push to get more artists through the gates.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

most people confortably dismiss the room for squares cd as pop but give it a clear listen maybe with headphones and its simply amazing !

a common person can relate to his lyrics, his acoustic guitar playing is very ncie .. its one thing playing acoustics its another thing recording them with perfection ! and his voice is fresh ! thats one cd i have listened to countless times from start to finish !

tho i always wondered how much of an influence was berklee , or rather what part did his stint at berklee play in his development as a musician !

• Members

Isn't it refreshing to see somebody with talent be successful and actually get better and not give in to mooks? I've been listening to him since room for squares and I applaud the direction he took instead of redoing room for squares he reinvented himself in my opinion for the better.

• Members

I like the album allot. It listenable. It doesnt smack you in the face. Its not squashed and it devotes adequate bandwith to low end extension. Amazingly both my wife and i like it- this almost NEVER happens.

My most surprising observation: Its almost MONO. Doing lots of panning is hard with a trio like this. However, they dont even try to do much of anything with panning. Its the closest thing to MONO Ive heard since my mono copy of Sgt. Peppers- purchased the day of its release.

Archived