VOM1T April 2017

garthman

• Members

No ability to play guitar for a foreseeable period so no recording. But, I did do this on request a while back, from another player looking to pair up into a duo, to get an idea of my vocal range. It's a memory work up with clams but all I got for now.

BTW, Happy Jelly Bean Day to all. I went out to get some groceries today and the stores were all closed, meaning, with a word I couldn't get what I came for.

Dust In the Wind

https://app.box.com/s/ld22hvt3bkmho93m70yd42w5l7lvbd0h

• Members

A while back, Phil posted a link to a news story about a woman who said she was "too beautiful to be faithful" to her husband: http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/writer-julia-stephenson-mocked-for-suggesting-she-is-too-beautiful-to-stay-faithful-to-husband/ar-BByyZrF?li=BBnbfcL. I replied that I've never been unfaithful and I wondered if I might be too homely to be unfaithful, and that there was probably a Country song there somewhere. This is the result, an original titled "Too Homely To Be Unfaithful": http://yourlisten.com/DeepEnd/toohomelytobeunfaithful.

• Members

garthman - Well done with your own unique take on the original.

extollo - Well played and you have a really nice voice.

Etienne Rambert - You always manage to come up with something different in a good way. I liked that a lot.

catscurlyear - I hadn't heard that one in quite a while but you did a fine job, 'way better than I could do.

Idunno - Nice job. You could easily be the Garfunkel half of a duo. Sorry to hear you're not able to play these days.

• Members

Garthman - that was a cool song and good playing.

extollo - That song was very good and was well played

Etienne Rambert - I really liked that. Cool.

catscurlyear - nice playing and a cool guitar sound.

Idunno - very nice rendition of that song. I hope the playing thing works out.

Deep End - I couldn't get your song to play.

Here is a one-take of a song from my new CD:

And, for reference, here is the album version

• Members

This is late and a little weird. I really don't expect most of you to listen to these, but we have a new member, Hijinx Guitars, who is talking about building a resonator. We have had a bit of discussion off the forum about different characteristics of resonators and I told him that I have three different kinds of reso's. It just happens that I have records all three of them on the same song, plus a couple of other guitars and since he is talking about different sounds, well, here they are. This is a John Fahey song, Steamboat Gwine Round the Bend. Its in open G, I play all of these with the same slide and with flesh and nails so whatever you you hear is the differences in the guitars. I'm not very happy with the Weissenborn recording, but I thought I'd throw it in.

1932 Dobro Type 27, wood body (birch plywood) spider bridge

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Steamboat_-_Dobro.mp3

1980 Dobro Dupolian, metal body (brass), biscuit bridge

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Steamboat_-_Duolian.mp3

FK tricone, wood body (koa), NPR cones and bridge

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Steamboat_-_Tricone.mp3

FK Weissenborn, koa

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Steamboad_-_Weissenborn.mp3

FK OM 12 string, spruce over EIR

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Steamboat_-_OM12.mp3

IMG_2509.jpg

• Members

Gary Blanchard - Well done. Love the "hippie" guitar. FWIW, I prefer the newer version; the album version seems over-processed, too much going on. The vocal could have been louder with respect to the guitar but overall quite nice.

Freeman Keller - I listened to all the different versions. It seemed like the neighborly thing to do. All were enjoyable in their own way. I'm sure Hijinks will appreciate it. Thanks for letting the rest of us listen in.

• Members
. . . Deep End - I couldn't get your song to play. . . .

That's odd. I guess it could be a browser thing but it works for me in Firefox, IE, and Edge. Anyway, here are the lyrics for your perusal and--I hope--enjoyment:

When I took her to be my wedded wife,

I promised her the best years of my life.

She broke my heart by cheatin’ on me,

And then she said “But don’t you see?

“I’m too beautiful to be faithful,

Too pretty to be true.

You might think I’m disgraceful,

But that's why I cheated on you.”

And then one day I found another love,

As sweet as an angel sent from above.

I knew that she would always be true.

You ask me, well here’s how I knew:

She’s too homely to be unfaithful,

Too plain to be untrue.

She’s homely but she’s grateful,

And that's why she’ll always be true.

But that’s okay ’cause I’m no prize myself,

And I’m no trophy up there on the shelf.

No, you won’t find me cheatin’ on her.

I won’t ’cause one thing is for sure:

I’m too homely to be unfaithful,

Too plain to be untrue.

I’m homely and so grateful,

And that's why I’ll always be true.

And that’s why I’ll always be true.

• Members

I have a new "hippie guitar" in the works thanks to a local artist who is working on my Epiphone Mastebuilt. My new CD has a number of songs where I stretch my limits; I have allowed my producer to go a bit crazy with it. I provided him with vocals, guitar, tablas, and sitar-like keyboard for Carousel and he built on it. Another song sounds like Neil Young grunge, one has George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" vibe, and another has a Tom Petty feel. Then some are a bit more in the traditional vein. Time to try new things for me, I suppose.

• Members

Sorry to hear it, also a bit confused. I use Firefox almost exclusively so when I checked using IE and Edge the site shouldn't have recognized me. It played the song fine and didn't ask for money. Looks like I may have to find a new place for my songs. :( I'll try sending an email to their support and see what they have to say.

• Members

I hope I didn't leave anyone out. PM me if I did.

Garthman - I always enjoy your recordings. They have an atmosphere about them.

Extollo - you sing better than I. A classic song and your voice does it justice.

Catscurl: I had an EKO 12-string - made in Italy. I loved it. Alas, it was destroyed in a car wreck.

I bought a flat-back Guild D-25 with the insurance money. I'll never buy another 12-string. The action and

feel of that EKO was so nice. Fantastic playing BTW. I prefer your version to Bowie's.

Gary Blanchard: You have a fine voice but I had trouble hearing it. My ears? Your voice is good enough to project the lyrics with authority. I liked the song BTW. Good job.

Idunno: Loved the finger-style. I wish more players would play that way these days. Your voice is fine and expressive.

Freeman: For some reason, I couldn't get any of those to play on my laptop. I've never been much of a dobro or reso fan.But when I chanced upon Tuba Skinny pilaying on Royal Street one day, I saw another use for a resonator. It's a perfect guitar for playing with a brass band.

Deepend: I had trouble loading that song. Finally I got it done. But it's covered up with adverts.

The lyrics are clever.I liked the concept and the delivery. Maybe you don't need the reference to the bimbo

who thought she was too beautiful to be faithful. 'Too homely to be unfaithful...' seems clever & ironic enough for me.

There's a great honky-tonk ballad in there somewhere.

(FWIW, a reso in a brass band)

HvhJuWZQOR4

• Members
. . . Deepend: I had trouble loading that song. Finally I got it done. But it's covered up with adverts.

The lyrics are clever.I liked the concept and the delivery. Maybe you don't need the reference to the bimbo

who thought she was too beautiful to be faithful. 'Too homely to be unfaithful...' seems clever & ironic enough for me.

There's a great honky-tonk ballad in there somewhere. . . .

Etienne, thanks for your kind words. I thought it was important to let the listener know the beginning of the story. That's the way the song came together in my mind, as a story that began with heartbreak and ended happily. I'd love to hear what you or someone else might do with the concept. But yes, ''a great honky tonk ballad'' is pretty much where I was aiming, although actually achieving "great" would have been surprising. ;)

Sorry to hear that both you and Gary had issues with the hosting site. I contacted support and I was assured that there is no charge for listening but I don't want folks bombarded with ads either. I'm going to look for a different site to host my music, preferably one that offers a better experience.

Finally, thanks for posting the brass band vid. I enjoyed it. :thu:

Archived