X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Way OT: Unusual food you've eaten/seen while on the road

We just got back from vacation and made some discoveries along the way:
    • A "Reuben" with slaw instead of sauerkraut at a truck stop in Gary, IN. (My wife ordered a turkey "Reuben" so I don't know what comes on the traditional kind. Big Boy [we stopped at one in Gaylord, MI] makes something identical including slaw on top but they call it a "Turkey Melt," not a "Reuben." Their "Reuben" is traditional with corned beef and kraut.)
    • Cherries on pizza at the Cherry Bowl Drive In Theater in Honor, MI (they grow cherries in the area and apparently it's common).
    • "Hay Stacks" (essentially baklava made with shredded wheat) at Pete's Pancake House in Morris, IL. What are some of your discoveries?
    Last edited by DeepEnd; 06-21-2014, 01:46 PM.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

The last one is actually a normal middle eastern dessert I've had many times. It's alfalfa, honey, dates and minced nuts ingredients and all very good.

McDonalds does well internationally for a reason.
    -----------------------------------
    Call me Hoyt. Hoyt Guthrie.

Comment

I traveled the road for 30 years (on business not gigs) and I experienced food poisoning three times. Two of the three were from chicken in reputable establishments. The first, and worst, was when I ordered Colorado Catfish in a Kentucky diner. No stomach pumping, I chose to curl up on the floor and the end of the bed for the night. To make matters worse I had arrived in town late and had to pay a motel fee a great deal over what I would normally spend because everything else was booked. If my stupidity offers any humor or a negative head shake then I have accomplished what I wanted by exposing my brain dead decision.
      Don't buy a gemstone guitar pick. They're like your favorite snack; you can't stop with just one.

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
        The last one is actually a normal middle eastern dessert I've had many times. It's alfalfa, honey, dates and minced nuts ingredients and all very good. . . .
        I think we may be talking about two different things. This was shredded wheat biscuits made into something like baklava. Sorry I don't have pics but imagine these with honey, chopped nuts, etc.:

Comment

Kunafah?

Comment

Kunafah?
            Close but this didn't have cheese in it. I did a web search and it appears to be something called "katafi" or "kataifi."

Comment

Oh. I think it might be the one with honey and pistachio nuts layered into a sort of fibrous bar. I didn't know it was wheat, though. I thought they used mostly dried alfalfa. Kinda stringy texture. I can snort a line of those middle eastern desserts. A friend of mine would order a sampler box for me from some shop in Dearborn, MI, where there's a large Muslim population. I love dried dates desserts, too.

Comment

Oh. I think it might be the one with honey and pistachio nuts layered into a sort of fibrous bar. I didn't know it was wheat, though. I thought they used mostly dried alfalfa. Kinda stringy texture. . . .
                This was made from actual shredded wheat biscuits with stuff on the inside. It's probably a variation from what you're used to. Very tasty whatever you call it.
                Last edited by DeepEnd; 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

We took a family trip to China a couple years ago. My wife and I went for a walk off the beaten path in a working class neighborhood. We saw a sign (in Chinese of course ) and an old barrel standing in a small garage. This was my wife's hometown so she knew what everything was and told me I had to try this. The barrel was lined with some kind of clay or something and had a fire burning in the bottom. They took a blob of dough dipped it in grease then slapped it on the inside of the barrel to cook. As bad as this sounds it was actually really good.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                    . . . They took a blob of dough dipped it in grease then slapped it on the inside of the barrel to cook. As bad as this sounds it was actually really good. . . .
                    Sounds interesting. I've probably eaten worse. Do you have any idea what it was called?

Comment

My wife said it doesn't really have a name they just call it barrel roasted onion bread..Street food in China is a whole new experience. My daughter ate a little roasted octopus on a stick and it gets stranger but not for us.

Comment

We took a family trip to China a couple years ago. My wife and I went for a walk off the beaten path in a working class neighborhood. We saw a sign (in Chinese of course ) and an old barrel standing in a small garage. This was my wife's hometown so she knew what everything was and told me I had to try this. The barrel was lined with some kind of clay or something and had a fire burning in the bottom. They took a blob of dough dipped it in grease then slapped it on the inside of the barrel to cook. As bad as this sounds it was actually really good. Photo is of Thai insect snacks. Taste pretty good, esp the grubs. Like Cheetos with some sort of Frito barbecue powder on.

Looks like variation on Tandoor oven used in Indian cooking. Yum yum. Photo of Thai bug snacks. Grubs pretty tasty, like Cheetos w/barbecue seasoning.
                        Last edited by Emory; 07-02-2014, 11:59 PM.
                        I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
                        Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

Originally posted by Emory View Post
                          Looks like variation on Tandoor oven used in Indian cooking. Yum yum. Photo of Thai bug snacks. Grubs pretty tasty, like Cheetos w/barbecue seasoning . . .
                          I was thinking the same thing about the Tandoor pot. As for grubs, I'll pass. Tried roasted grasshoppers once that a missionary had brought back to the US but that's as far as I'll go.

Comment

How about snakes on a stick

Comment

How about snakes on a stick
                              Wasn't that a movie? "Snakes on a Plate?" Seriously, I think I'll probably pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X