How important are aesthetics?

Gary Blanchard

• Members

I have a real hangup about two things on acoustic guitars - cutaways and the electronics black box. There is no rational reason for this, it is just my hangups. If I find a guitar that has the sound I want but is an A/E with cutaway, should I try to overcome my prejudice, or is it likely I'd regret it everytime I played it? What are your experiences in this area?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like my acoustics, well, acoustic.

Seems like those electronics and black boxes are out of date and replaced with the next new thing every six months but a good acoustic is timeless.

Just my prejudices at work, I guess.

I don't have much use for a cutaway either.

EG

• Members

I'm looking at getting a back-up acoustic--though it will probably be my primary, and push my current to back-up status--and I'm facing some of the same issues. My think is really from the audience's perspective, so the black box doesn't bother me so much; in fact, I'm looking to get some built in electronics. But things like body shape, finish, etc. are embarrassingly important in the hunt.

I, too, don't like cutaways, though there are some that look better than others. On some jumbo shapes, it looks almost natural.

I guess my feelings on it are: if you're going to be playing in front of people, you kind of have to worry about how it looks. You'd have a hard time pulling off the serious folkie thing with one of those bright green guitars, and the bluegrass audience was very suspicious of my parlor guitar. You'd still be a dummy, though, if aesthetics trumped sound.

• Members

I think you should keep looking until a guitar that sounds right and has neither a cutaway nor a black box comes your way. Personally, lack of binding and purfling is a deal breaker, as is a guitar that's just plain ugly. The latter category includes--for me--most Godin products.

• Members

I have no prejudice against cutaway but slight prejudice against black box.

Cutaway is unavoidable for access to the upper register and in some cases cutaway actually looks good. Black box is easily avoidable by having external preamp.

• Members

I never did care for a cutaway on an acoustic guitar, but I guess I AM a sucker for a little "bling". I have three dreads and all three of them have abalone rosettes. It wasn't the ONLY thing that attracted me to them, but it was ONE of them. It's probably also what keeps me from getting one of the lower end Martins. And the cost of 'em is what keeps from getting one of the HIGHER end Martins.

• Members

Cutaways are fine, don't bother me at all. In fact, My Tak A/E cutaway looks great. I do not like most Godin products (except the A&Ls). Good headstock design is important to me - Seagulls or Blueridges are "no go" for me. Guitars also should also have pickguards - the no pickguard look is ugly. These are all my personal preference of course and YMMV.

• Members

Again, I think part of my hangup is that cutaways just seem wrong for traditional folk music. Since I never go up the neck (other than a travelling D chord that goes up to the 10th fret in my song, Dreaming of Paris) there is no good reason for my having a cutaway.

I am not trying to argue the validity of my aesthetic choices, just wondering how others felt about choosing sound over looks. Thanks to your input I have settled the issue for myself, especially since I can find a guitar that has both to my satisfaction, if not to my wallet.

• Members

I'm the same way. I have a real aversion towards black boxes in particular. I tend to prefer simple, non-ornamental elegance when it comes to guitars. I don't mind the look of the cutaway on the Taylor 500 series guitars but don't like the electronics involved.

• Members

Looks don't matter at all to me. I don't care if a git is as ugly as homemade sin ,as long as it sounds and plays good.

:thu:

As far as cutaways, they're handy above the 12th, where I go with some frequency.

If it doesn't have cutaway, there's a technique for gettin up there as well.

• Members

Don't mind 12-string headstocks and am fairly easy with cutaways.

But what I can't stand is Rhinestone Cowboy bling a la Gibson, sunbursts - especially three-tone-sunburst like Gibson's and sloped shoulders.

• Members

If I find a guitar that has the sound I want but is an A/E with cutaway, should I try to overcome my prejudice, or is it likely I'd regret it everytime I played it? What are your experiences in this area?

My experience is that if I like a guitar's sound and playability a lot, but can't stand the look, one will come up soon, and in the price range I'm after, that actually meets my expectations.

You may live to regret it, or maybe you'll see the shallowness of your (our) ways:).

It's your money, don't settle.

• Members

My experience is that if I like a guitar's sound and playability a lot, but can't stand the look, one will come up soon, and in the price range I'm after, that actually meets my expectations.

You may live to regret it, or maybe you'll see the shallowness of your (our) ways:).

It's your money, don't settle.

Guitars are much like Girls.

There's always the one, that turns your head, but she won't be the one to share your life with and you will soon discover, that there will always be another guitar.

But unlike girls, guitars are not envyous and they don't mind if you have another (or two or three or four...) guitars that you are in love with.

Guess, how I learned that...?

Archived