Ai rote sum muzik.

1001gear

• Members

Agreed "you could learn an entire genre by rote and end up not knowing anything about it". Thai friend of friend came down for morning pickfest. Played some stuff note perfect. I suggested we do some 3 chord blues jam. Absolutely no idea how to do that. I felt embarrassed for him. Put all that time in and not know squat. Fairly common here in Thailand, and can understand wouldn't understand lots of instructional materials, but... but...

• Members
Agreed "you could learn an entire genre by rote and end up not knowing anything about it". Thai friend of friend came down for morning pickfest. Played some stuff note perfect. I suggested we do some 3 chord blues jam. Absolutely no idea how to do that. I felt embarrassed for him. Put all that time in and not know squat. Fairly common here in Thailand' date=' and can understand wouldn't understand lots of instructional materials, but... but...[/quote']

My wife is very similar to that! Put some sheet music in front of her, she'll play it perfectly. Feeling, timing, all there. Ask her to play a E9 chord, and she gives the deer in the headlights look, and can't "jam" if her life depends on it! (Classically trained pianist all suffer from that I think.)

Archived