Same Old Problem With Amps

gardo

• Moderators

find an amp that has a master volume and/or a wattage switch. There is really no need for an amp over 25 watts in the modern world, headroom claims be damned. I have been gigging with 15w-20w amps for years, and I NEVER run them above 50%...the real secret is to find musicians who know what dynamics are, and don't feel they need to play ballz out ...

• Members

My go to amp is a Fender Princeton Chorus, solid state, stereo amp rated at 26 watts x 2 or 52 watts. For tubes it's an old Ampeg Gemini 1 that the local amp guru upgraded . It's rated at 20 watts and he claims more with the upgrades.

The Fender amp is really the culprit .I guess that's just their nature. don't know if I've ever played it over about 3 at home. but I found a real sweet spot with a Strat using middle/bridge posistion adding some chorus and a touch of reverb,the thing ring like a bell. But it's just too loud

The speakers need a certain amount of power to begin to drive. It's all very seductive

• Members

In my very limited experience with Fender, they tend to be whisper quiet at 1 and deafening at 3. It's hard to get it right. I'd recommend a speaker swap but I don't know if it would be cost effective. A pair of 10" Jensens would run about $100 and might or might not fix the issue.

I always seem to end up with amps that are just too big' date=' so what's wrong with that ? The problem is that by the time I get it to sound good it's just too loud for home use. [/quote']

I just finished doing a review of a very, very nice 50W combo amp, and that was pretty much the only thing I dinged it on - the volume and gain controls are pretty sensitive at the low end of their travel, so it's hard to adjust them for low-volume playing.

Then again, it IS a 50W amp - it's probably not really to be expected that it's going to shine at low-volume bedroom playing. That's not really what it was designed for.

IOW, IMO it's important to match the amp to the job you need it to perform. I'd recommend looking for a lower-wattage amp. A master volume control would also be a feature that would benefit you.

What amp are you currently using gardo?

• Members
. . . What amp are you currently using gardo?

Phil, the amp in question is a Fender Princeton Chorus, as noted in post 4:

My go to amp is a Fender Princeton Chorus, solid state, stereo amp rated at 26 watts x 2 or 52 watts. . . .

. . . The Fender amp is really the culprit .I guess that's just their nature. don't know if I've ever played it over about 3 at home. . . .

. . . The speakers need a certain amount of power to begin to drive. It's all very seductive

Thus my recommendation of different speakers but I'm not sure it would help. I can only find the manual for the DSP version of the Princeton Chorus and it says the speakers are Fender Special Design P/N 0029753000. I can't find specs for them but if they're rebranded Eminience a pair of Jensens or Webers might make an improvement--or they might not.

• Moderators

Again, and amp with a master volume would likely help, as you can push it hard without letting the dogs out. I am a bit surprised that a 26w SS amp would be 'too loud', but you know where the 'sweet spot' is...with a tube amp, you can swap pre-amp tubes to change the 'sweet spot', or the very nature of the amp's tone...with solid state, it is what it is. I suppose you might be able to change it by putting a different value volume pot in it, but that could be a pretty involved process it the pots are circuit board mounted, which I would guess they are.

• Members

that's 26 watts per channel on a stereo amp making it 52 watts I've had small amps but prefer that big sound.This SS amp is my go to amp

I know where the sweet spot is but the Strat is a different animal it likes to get loud

• Members

This whole small watt tube amp thing going on lately cracks me up, My smallest tube amp is 72w, Granted a master volume amp as are all my others, But I've never had a problem dialing them in at low or high volume, Although my Bugera TriRec does have a built in attenuator from 1w to 100w which I find kind of silly as its a master volume amp, However it does work, I just don't see the point of it, Pushing power tubes tends to kill any headroom you have, Pushing preamp tubes gives you that nice toasty tone your looking for, and that's what the master and channel volume knobs are for, Master controls the power tubes and channel the preamp tubes, Simple as that, If running a SS amp then its a moot point, If it doesn't have a killer clean channel and is sold as some kind of metal monster then they seen you coming and stole your money, When buying a SS amp at any wattage clean channel is king and your added effects rule, the volume knobs should be of little consequence in its sound, Its either loud or its not, Speaker break up can be an issue but I doubt you've been at this long enough to notice the difference, My guess is your doing something wrong,

• Members

What happened is that I turned my strat up a little louder than usual hit a chord and said "what was that"

It was ringing somewhere between a Hammond organ and a bell. As I turn down the volume I loose this'.

• Members

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse but my gut is telling me your speakers are maybe starting to break up just a little and you either need something that will do the same thing at lower volume or a way to simulate speaker breakup, maybe a cab sim.

• Members

No pedals involved just plenty of clean. It's not that I can't get good tone,it's pretty dang good already,but I know there's a lot more that the amp is capable of just a twist of the knob away

Archived