PRS value after mods

Mesaman77

• Members

Also looking for info on EAST amps. Just got turned on to them and and want to downsize from my Carr Slant 6 I have used for a decade already - love it but at 22 watts I am never over 2 on volume and it seems a waste - I play smaller clubs in the PHX area and considering 18 watt options or lower...I see a lot of them being resold, so wondering about tone, headroom etc.

• Members
So if you have a 2014 PRS that has been modded to replace the narrow field standard pickups with Seymour Duncans, how would that change the value of the guitar? I see that PRS pickups run $180 each...anybody got answers for this?

Which S-D pickups? Are they typical full size humbucker pickups? If so, that means you had the pickup openings routed out to accommodate larger pickups. If so, there will undoubtedly be a value drop.

However, if the new pickups are one for one replacements (mini-humbucker for mini-humbucker), then there is no change in value. In fact, the value will go up slightly if you include the original pickups in the case separately for the new owner to reinstall if they want to. If you are wanting to sell your PRS, you definitely want to reinstall the original PRS Narrowfield pickups and sell the S-D pickups separately, or just keep the S-Ds for future use.

• Members
So if you have a 2014 PRS that has been modded to replace the narrow field standard pickups with Seymour Duncans, how would that change the value of the guitar? I see that PRS pickups run $180 each...anybody got answers for this?

No.

• Members

Like with cars, it's nice that your '67 Mustang has Cragar Mags fur seats and a pink metalflake paint job but a clean factory original will generally be worth more. So with guitars.

Not sure of your situation but are you asking if selling the PRS pickups will more than cover the value drop of the non original guitar ?

• Members

Which do you think would make the guitar worth more. Original pups that are hard to find even on EBay or something you can find hundreds of used every day on auction sites.

PRS pups actually have a much high resale value. When you find them on EBay they sell for more then the SD's because there aren't as many of them around. If someone wanted to return the guitar to stock they would wind up spending at least $200~300 on the PRS pups. Putting used SD pups in there can be done for $100 on most versions;

Of course a guitar is worth what you get for it. If you did have someone that wanted that guitar with SD's in it then you're good. If I were buying I'd make them knock $200 right off the top because it wasn't stock and I'd need to spend at least that much buying stock pups to put back in it.

• Members

I think it decreases the value a little. A lot of people have dreams of having collectible pieces for the future and changes can effect the value. But as someone said its worth what someone will pay but I would want access at least to the stock p/us

• Members

In general any modifications to a high quality guitar are going to lower the value to some degree or another - you may strike lucky and find a buyer who wants your guitar with the modifications you have made, but you have also alienated all of the collectors who will want a guitar in stock condition. Especially with something like a PRS which comes from the factory with high end and desirable pickups (part of the 'PRS sound'). Rather than putting $150 worth of new pickups in a guitar increasing the value by $150, you are probably going to instead lower it to some degree or another.

This is assuming a non-permanent modification - you could easily refit the original parts and have the guitar in stock form. If you were to make any permanent modifications like routing out pickup holes to fit larger pickups for example then you will have removed a decent chunk of the value - if I am spending that much money on a guitar, I don't want one someone has been altering (unless you are lucky enough to find the one buyer looking for a PRS altered in exactly the way you have done it).

If the guitar can be put back to stock condition, then generally you will get the most money for it selling it as stock, and selling the aftermarket pickups separately.

Archived