Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My opinion: Who really cares? He mouthed off at a big corporate radio event. It seems so inconsequential. Is there really any merit in debating whether something is punk or not? If the announcement of going to rehab is true, maybe the guy was high as a kite and that meltdown made him realize he was acting like a child?

As far as plagarism goes, most of Green Day's songs have 3 chords in them. Is anyone shocked that there are a myriad of other songs that share similar/same chord progressions and melodies? Every artist is guilty of stealing from their influences. It happens though osmosis. I know when I was younger and in a band, I'd come up with riffs and end up trashing them later because I realized I directly ripped it off from someone else but I wasn't doing it conciously. I doubt Green Day or Clapton or whoever it is that floats your boat is doing intentionally either. Whether or not somebody is a "genius" in terms of songwriting is subjective.

I'm kinda indifferent to Green Day these days. I'm not too big on their music but you can't argue with success. They've been around longer than some people around here may have been alive with (I believe) the same exact line up (sans the add'l guitar player they use live). They were doing it for years and years before they ever made it big. Like plenty of other bands in that genre, they probably would have continued to do it whether or not they got big.
    Good trader/seller: Woody_in_MN, GibsonQC, m90guy, maltomario, drmojoxl, RockinIt, souperman08, Hand Amputation, D-log

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho
      View Post

As far as plagarism goes, most of Green Day's songs have 3 chords in them. Is anyone shocked that there are a myriad of other songs that share similar/same chord progressions and melodies?

Listen...

Comment

• BTW.. that was a total Axl Rose moment if in fact they were late getting on stage. That is a vintage Axl Rose delusional meltdown. Guess he ripped that off too..
        Good trader/seller: Woody_in_MN, GibsonQC, m90guy, maltomario, drmojoxl, RockinIt, souperman08, Hand Amputation, D-log

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by d_dave_c
          View Post

Good stuff -- thanks! Sorta' reminds me of the Dropkick Murphys.
          You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho
            View Post

My opinion: Who really cares? He mouthed off at a big corporate radio event. It seems so inconsequential. Is there really any merit in debating whether something is punk or not? If the announcement of going to rehab is true, maybe the guy was high as a kite and that meltdown made him realize he was acting like a child?

As far as plagarism goes, most of Green Day's songs have 3 chords in them. Is anyone shocked that there are a myriad of other songs that share similar/same chord progressions and melodies? Every artist is guilty of stealing from their influences. It happens though osmosis. I know when I was younger and in a band, I'd come up with riffs and end up trashing them later because I realized I directly ripped it off from someone else but I wasn't doing it conciously. I doubt Green Day or Clapton or whoever it is that floats your boat is doing intentionally either. Whether or not somebody is a "genius" in terms of songwriting is subjective.

I'm kinda indifferent to Green Day these days. I'm not too big on their music but you can't argue with success. They've been around longer than some people around here may have been alive with (I believe) the same exact line up (sans the add'l guitar player they use live). They were doing it for years and years before they ever made it big. Like plenty of other bands in that genre, they probably would have continued to do it whether or not they got big.

I totally agree...
            Great Transactions: Vintage Clubber(2), deadllama, bnelly428, jcp42877(2), Aaron SS(2), Timmylikedthing, mikeyElite, Tone Meister, lespaulraider,solewheelin, randel_07, jhamnett, RoboPimp, twotimingpete, Last Nerve, jcm800stratman, d4rk0

Comment

• The one thing I always find funny is all the punk fans crying foul about other bands' punk cred. IMO, Green Day plays music that easily falls into the sub-genre of rock that we know as punk. The whole image deification of the genre is worse than it is with rappers, it seems like.

About the plagiarism videos - some of those melodies are really, really close, but the riff examples don't count for me. For example, most songs on pop radio these days follow the I - V - VI - IV progression, and few if any of them sound like rip-offs of one another. No one likes Green Day for the originality, that's for damn sure.

Anyway, I don't care how douchey they seem these days, I don't think I'll ever stop liking their Lookout! catalog and Dookie, and I think I'll always give their albums a fair chance. I've been disappointed by the last few (though Foxboro Hottubs is the exception), but I'll still listen to Uno. Here's hoping that the rehab helps him out. He's got kids, if I'm not mistaken, and they probably need their dad.
              Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• he had his teeth fixed, right?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele
                  View Post

i dont think green day sucks. Hell they sounded pretty good during that show, and the singer was wasted.

Story is the band was 30 minutes late getting to the stage thats why they were cut short. so its all thier fault.

He used to be a punk rocker, now hes a Rock Star with Lead Vocalist syndrome.

someone call the wambulance.

whats less punk rock is when the bass player (copying Billy) tries to smash his bass but cant. lol

??? the body of his bass is cracked in half... BUT - i do agree with you, its pretty funny, as if he's like "oh crap, this is the part we smash guitars? But the setlist says we do it after Brain Stew... oh well... SMASH!"
                  Gibson Les Paul Jr. / Rockinbetter 330, Rickenbacker 360
                  Fender '59 Bassman RI / Sovtek mig100h / VHT lead 40
                  Russian Big Muff / DIY FY-2 "companion fuzz"

Originally Posted by donnie_combat

G&L's are the most un creative stupid pieces of crap on the planet. if you want something decent and real go for fender~

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by vintage clubber
                    View Post

Green Day sucks. He's acting like a spoiled brat 2 year old...

Here, enjoy some real music and some good lyrical points from Mr. Paisley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9mpDAJOPac

ummm

isn't it great that we all have different taste?... an example of this is the fact that i'd rather be torn apart by a pack of rabid hyenas than listen to that "real music and some good lyrical points" ever again

Comment

• A cry baby has a break down. So what. Get his mommy to change his diaper hand him a sippy cup and tell him to shut the **************** up. I wonder how long till we read about this clown doing some Darwinian thing and ending up as worm food by his own hands.
                      Theres only two kinds of music HEAVY and METAL!!!!!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by bsman
                        View Post

I would be with him, but for ****************'s sake, he knew going in that it was the I-****************ing-heart music ****************ing festival and as such should have understood that no-****************ing-talent ****************wads like Justin ****************ing Beiber, Rhi-****************ing-anna, and ****************ing Usher are the ****************ing reason most of the ****************s in the audience are ****************ing there...

My favorite comedy of all time.

As for the poll, I'm with the sign.
                        ~Heel

Comment

• If Billy Joe (can't be all bad with a name like Billy Joe) really does need help with substance abuse and is seeking help I can't bad mouth that. But punk officially was pronounced dead when The Ramones called it quits. And Green Day were no Ramones.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Metalrulez
                            View Post

A cry baby has a break down. So what. Get his mommy to change his diaper hand him a sippy cup and tell him to shut the **************** up. I wonder how long till we read about this clown doing some Darwinian thing and ending up as worm food by his own hands.

I would really love to see the mayhem smackdown that would occur to/by people if they spoke to people in person as they do online.
                            Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by StevenJM
                              View Post

??? the body of his bass is cracked in half... BUT - i do agree with you, its pretty funny, as if he's like "oh crap, this is the part we smash guitars? But the setlist says we do it after Brain Stew... oh well... SMASH!"

yeah seemed really contrived. does look cracked in half but, thats a pretty easy repair, lol. for the next meltdown.

stuff:
                              52RI Tele
                              Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                              more stuff:
                              65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                              Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Red81
                                View Post

he had his teeth fixed, right?

no, that was Keef.
                                _________________________________________________

stuff:
                                52RI Tele
                                Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                                more stuff:
                                65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                                Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

Working...
                                X