X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown49
    View Post

I'm sure 99% of us would jump at the chance to play a "****************ty POP fest", myself included.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. I'd play it too if given the chance. I'd also realize that I'm playing some corporate ****************fest where most of the performers are more interested in dancing and lip synching .

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon
    View Post

Certainly. I never understood the hate for punk bands once they become successful. It's as if they make more money than the average street-sign-holder, they get called posers, but if someone from a different genre does well, everyone's cool with it.

Green Day isn't a punk band.
    MATAMP/SUNN/ORANGE/GIBSON/MARSHALL/BlackArtsToneworks
    http://www.orthodoxfuzz.com

Comment

• Anyone seen the Nov. GW? It has Billie on the cover, and the tagline: "Has Billie Joe Armstrong gone BONKERS?" How prophetic! I still like 'em, though it was a douchey move. They're kind of a pop punk zz top, they keep putting out decent albums (imho), and aren't doing commercials for pepsi or anything.... -Adam
      Originally Posted by nicholai

He seems to like bacon a lot......

Originally Posted by Luigi

Jesus probably doesn't love everyone, especially ****************************s. He probably wants to punch them but He won't. That's what makes him Jesus.

Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

...we should be talking about the national debt, the number of incarcerated citizens in this country(the prison industrial complex), the military industrial complex, the so called war on drugs and corporations/banks that are running over people and buying our politicians...

Comment

• Anyone seen the Nov. GW? It has Billie on the cover, and the tagline: "Has Billie Joe Armstrong gone BONKERS?" How prophetic! I still like 'em, though it was a douchey move. They're kind of a pop punk zz top, they keep putting out decent albums (imho), and aren't doing commercials for pepsi or anything.... -Adam
        Originally Posted by nicholai

He seems to like bacon a lot......

Originally Posted by Luigi

Jesus probably doesn't love everyone, especially ****************************s. He probably wants to punch them but He won't. That's what makes him Jesus.

Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

...we should be talking about the national debt, the number of incarcerated citizens in this country(the prison industrial complex), the military industrial complex, the so called war on drugs and corporations/banks that are running over people and buying our politicians...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by JoJo68
          View Post

I didn't say anything to the contrary. I'd play it too if given the chance. I'd also realize that I'm playing some corporate ****************fest where most of the performers are more interested in dancing and lip synching .

Now I follow. Same here.

Fame and ego definitely seem to dampen one's sense of reality.
          Listen...

Comment

View Post

Now I follow. Same here.

Fame and ego definitely seem to dampen one's sense of reality.
            Listen...

Comment

View Post

They started out as a punk band on Lookout records, a primarily punk-rock label, and their sound was unchanged for the first ten years of their career, even after leaving Lookout. Their current sound is barely a departure from the original, since they're still hammering out the same three-chord patterns to roughly the same rhythm. You're free to dislike their image, politics, or whatever else they've morphed into while under the spotlight, but they were punk in 1988, they were punk in 1994, and since their music hasn't really changed, they're still punk in 2012.

Punk is a sub-genre of rock, and Green Day's music falls squarely into that sub-genre. The promoters of whoever just so happened to want a punk band at a pop festival, which is fine, because really, rock is just a sub-genre of pop[ular] music.
              Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

View Post

They started out as a punk band on Lookout records, a primarily punk-rock label, and their sound was unchanged for the first ten years of their career, even after leaving Lookout. Their current sound is barely a departure from the original, since they're still hammering out the same three-chord patterns to roughly the same rhythm. You're free to dislike their image, politics, or whatever else they've morphed into while under the spotlight, but they were punk in 1988, they were punk in 1994, and since their music hasn't really changed, they're still punk in 2012.

Punk is a sub-genre of rock, and Green Day's music falls squarely into that sub-genre. The promoters of whoever just so happened to want a punk band at a pop festival, which is fine, because really, rock is just a sub-genre of pop[ular] music.
                Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.
                  Listen...

Comment

• Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.
                    Listen...

Comment

View Post

Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.

Genres in of themselves aren't lame, They simply exist to make it easier to organize music and help people find more music they may like. What is lame is the grossly exaggerated importance many seem to attach to them.

Comment

View Post

Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.

Genres in of themselves aren't lame, They simply exist to make it easier to organize music and help people find more music they may like. What is lame is the grossly exaggerated importance many seem to attach to them.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorseJ27
                          View Post

Well said.
                          Listen...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorseJ27
                            View Post

Well said.
                            Listen...

Comment

• I would've been pissed off too. Like them or not, Green Day is/was a HUGE band. A punk rock band. Good for him.
                              dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

• I would've been pissed off too. Like them or not, Green Day is/was a HUGE band. A punk rock band. Good for him.
                                dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

Working...
                                X