X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Trade '64 SG Jr for '78 Les Paul Pro

What do you guys think? I hardly play the SG. When I do pull it out it is a lot of fun but I don't see myself gigging with it. Now the '78 Pro LP with 2 P90's. I think that will really growl! The SG is the one with only 1 P90.

As far as value (yes I know it is relative to what I think) I think the SG is about $3k - $3.5k and the LP Pro is in the $2k neighborhood.

What say you guys?
    Guitars: Orig '72 Tele Custom Deluxe (Walnut F Hole 2 Humbucks and a Bigsy, Orig '52 ES125 (Swing it!), '52 RI Butter Tele (#1), Orig '83 Heavy ass Black American Tele (previous #1)
    Amps: '65 BF Super Reverb, '65 BF Deluxe Reverb, BF '65 Princeton Reverb, '68, '69, '73 SF Twins, SF Deluxe Reverb, other silverfaces, JCM 800 2x12 Combo lots of 90's tweed Fender OK stuff

I wouldn't do it
    GREETINGS AND FELICITATIONS, CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGY!

Comment

Yes.
      http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

Or sell the sg, and buy the les paul
        http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

The Les Paul Professional doesn't have p90s , they're those weird low impedance pickups

GREETINGS AND FELICITATIONS, CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGY!

Comment

DONT DO IT

Comment

The Les Paul Professional doesn't have p90s , they're those weird low impedance pickups

Ok, thats not it. It may be the Pro deluxe or some animal but it is black and has 2 cream P90s. What is it? Claims to be a 1978
              Guitars: Orig '72 Tele Custom Deluxe (Walnut F Hole 2 Humbucks and a Bigsy, Orig '52 ES125 (Swing it!), '52 RI Butter Tele (#1), Orig '83 Heavy ass Black American Tele (previous #1)
              Amps: '65 BF Super Reverb, '65 BF Deluxe Reverb, BF '65 Princeton Reverb, '68, '69, '73 SF Twins, SF Deluxe Reverb, other silverfaces, JCM 800 2x12 Combo lots of 90's tweed Fender OK stuff

Comment

Ok, thats not it. It may be the Pro deluxe or some animal but it is black and has 2 cream P90s. What is it? Claims to be a 1978

Do you have a pic?
                Listen...

Comment

I wouldn't do it. The Les Paul Pro, from what I recall, is just another Norlin era take on the LP with P90s. They're decent, but unless you were getting some cash on top, it's a poor trade.
                  -Will

Guitars: Suhr Modern, Tom Anderson Drop Top T, Heritage Custom Shop H535 Classic, MANN Les Paul Special (MIJ lawsuit) Ibanez RG7620, Martin 0015M
                  Amplification: Bogner Ecstasy 101B/Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 (V30s) Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18 combo

Obligatory Facebook link:
                  https://www.facebook.com/KingLoudness

BUY MY ALBUM HERE:
                  http://willhansenguitar.bandcamp.com/

Comment

The later 70s aand early 80s Pros were very decent guitars

The Pro had P90s and the Deluxe had mini hbs..

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• rolfman
                      rolfman commented
                      Editing a comment

In 1977 bought a 1978 Les Paul Pro that looked exactly like the photo, P90 pups, ebony fretboard, MOP inlay. It was a beauty, but I was frustrated because I could not afford an amp at the time. I traded it later that year for a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 412cu in (rare). However, the rear main seal was shot, so I got the "short end of the stick" on that deal. I rebuilt the engine and had a blast with it. I have seen the 1978 LP Pro sell for $1800-$3000 depening on the condition. They are hard to find.

I wouldn't do it. The Les Paul Pro, from what I recall, is just another Norlin era take on the LP with P90s. They're decent, but unless you were getting some cash on top, it's a poor trade.

See, now that is complete and I think good advice. My instints tell me that it is not a good trade. Of course if I pick up the LP and it screams take me home...maybe...maybe. But even if I do not play the SG having a 60's piece of history to pass on one of my 3 boys might be worth a whole lot more....

I mostly play Tele so the P90 thing really appeals to me.

Comment

The later 70s aand early 80s Pros were very decent guitars

The Pro had P90s and the Deluxe had mini hbs..

Yeah, looking at it makes me reconsider....lovely isn;t it!! But WORTH a 1964 SG Jr???? Arch, not sure!!!

Comment

Yeah, looking at it makes me reconsider....lovely isn;t it!! But WORTH a 1964 SG Jr???? Arch, not sure!!!

Depends entirely on the condition
                        Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

If you disregard value, straight up IMO I would prefer the Les Paul.

Comment

**************** no..

Comment

Working...
                            X