Should I Trade '64 SG Jr for '78 Les Paul Pro

AzunigaToo

• Members

absolutely NOT!!!!

Gruhn has a 63 SG Jr. up for sale at $2850.....and the '78 ain't worth anywhere near that.....i don't care WHAT GC sell s them for.

i had one....nice guitar....but not worth 3 grand
:mad:

I checked some Gibson Les Paul Pro prices on Gbase and they were all the the 2G range, so basically the 'value' of the SG Jr. and the Pro are pretty close. And, just for comparison sake, Gruhn's pricing is usually on the high end of vintage market prices, too.

• Moderators

I checked some Gibson Les Paul Pro prices on Gbase and they were all the the 2G range, so basically the 'value' of the SG Jr. and the Pro are pretty close. And, just for comparison sake, Gruhn's pricing is usually on the high end of vintage market prices, too.

SG Jrs seem to not command much of a price, wheeras as basically any decent Les Paul does

• Moderators

No way, those 70's era Norlin are terrible as a general rule,

That is a poor generalisation, there are plenty of good Norlin guitars, and the late 70s and early 80s are some great guitars as well, the late 60s and the 70s LP will be the collectors of the future.

The higher end Sgs will hold good value, but unless you have a mint Sg Jr, with OHSC you won't accrue much value

• Members

That is a poor generalisation, there are plenty of good Norlin guitars, and the late 70s and early 80s are some great guitars as well, the late 60s and the 70s LP will be the collectors of the future.

The higher end Sgs will hold good value, but unless you have a mint Sg Jr, with OHSC you won't accrue much value

And that my friend, with all due respect, is where you and I differ. I have played at least 25 Norlin era Gibsons, and maybe two of them were nice. The other 23 missed their calling in life as canoe paddles. Also, if you honestly think early 60's SG Juniors aren't going to rise in value, I disagree with you there as well. I remember when you could buy early 70's Jazzmasters & Jaguars for $350 or so any day of the week.......

Ah well, if we all agreed on everything, wouldn't the world be boring! :lol:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

In 1977 bought a 1978 Les Paul Pro that looked exactly like the photo, P90 pups, ebony fretboard, MOP inlay. It was a beauty, but I was frustrated because I could not afford an amp at the time. I traded it later that year for a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 412cu in (rare). However, the rear main seal was shot, so I got the "short end of the stick" on that deal. I rebuilt the engine and had a blast with it. I have seen the 1978 LP Pro sell for $1800-$3000 depening on the condition. They are hard to find.

Archived