Power supplies

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I need to buy some power supplies, I have been using 1-spots to build out chains for making noise around the house, but now that I am putting some boards together, that solution just wont cut it any more. I am taking the approach of building things in a modular way, putting together several boards that can plug into eachother, and compliment eachother well. essentially instead of moving pedals on and off boards over and over, I am putting pedals that work well together on smaller boards, then putting the boards together like lego. right now I am focused on 4 boards, and am probably going to have to get 3 power supplies.

two are pedaltrain nano's, and with the issues I have heard with the volto power supplies, I will likely go for the Cioks Adam for both. One is direct off the guitar, and has a comp, wah, volume, tuner, and dirt pedal, so an adam *should* be able to handle this. the other i might have to get a bit more tricky with, it has a tap tempo analog delay, an strymon pedal, and another reverb, which might mean more power than the adapter can put out. I am going to have to do some more reading into power output, and power requirements of the pedals before I get into anything too extreme, it might be worth running a volto for one of the three pedals, and the adam for the other two.

then there is my EHX big box boards I am building, the one has a hog and a H&K rotosphere, both of which require their own wall warts, so I might just run a power bar on that one. the other has 6 pedals, and a tb looper, so I am guessing that will need a pedal power 2 to power everything properly. with a modular apporach, if i don't have an overdrive or wah on my EHX board, I can put the lead nano on the front of the train, and have all those basic effects. If i don't feel like carrying around the ehx boards, I can build a smaller modulation board instead, and place that between the two nano boards.

needless to say, now that I am working again, the prospect of spending 4-500 on power supplies is a bit annoying, but you have to pay the $ to get the toys to work together.

• Members

Well for a while, I had a number of fairly big power hog pedals, at 9v. So I bought a VL 4x4. I like it, because it has 4 outputs of 400mA, two of those can do 12v too. Problem is, there aren't many pedals that need 12v, and there's a few that could use 18v or even 24v (I'm looking at you, DMM). One of the benefits with this power supply, because it has so much juice, is that I can daisy chain like every analog pedal I own on one of the 400mA tap, and still have 7 other outlets for digital and power hungry pedals. No noise, works great. Having an AC outlet like the PP2+ would be nice to have too, but I live fine without it.

I also have a SupaCharger for my secondary board, had it probably 6-7 years now, works great. And I keep a 1Spot around too, when I move things around and just need to power up a few pedals quickly without revamping the 4x4.

• Members

I use a combination of a spot one and individual Zero Hum adaptors like Dan electro and Boss. Boss pedals especially have to have zero hum adaptors or they will hum badly. I have a few other pedals that need independent power supplies or they worn work properly. I have Boss Noise eliminator which is basically a loop/gate combination. I tried it on the spot one and it made the sound all grainy. I keep my Morely Wah/Volume and Leslie emulator I built on separate supplies too. Everything else can be chained on the spot one without any ill effects.

• Members

I have way more pedals that require proprietary wall warts or have built-in transformers than pedals that can run off of a 9v daisy chain. So naturally, my power supply situation is quite cumbersome. But since my gigging days are super-rare now, convenience and portability are not really priorities for me. So I use a lot surge protectors and extenders.

fetch?id=31352139&type=full

I settled on the CAE/MXR power system. Seems very well built, plenty of outlets, including 18v and variable taps. I did it. By the way, here's a link to a whole slew of power supplies:

Thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of Andreas. He posts here occasionally, and he's one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys around.

• Members

I am have my own demo studio but no band and no gigs. Right now I am using one spots for all my dirt and single pedals. I have a time line, möbius, lex, and el capistan that run off the power supplies that came with them. I am looking for a power supply that can run 4-5 pedals plus 2 of the big strymon units. Preferably with out breaking the bank.

Anybody using something other than a Strymon supply with one of their pedals?

I've always been of the opinion that if a company includes a power supply with a pedal that's automatically the preferred powering option, unless and until I can confirm all the details and decide whether or not it's safe to use an alternative. Fortunately Strymon tells you exactly what you need to know on their site - For the El Cap, it's 9VDC (no higher!), center-negative, 250mA minimum. Lots of power supplies can provide that. Ideally you'd want it isolated.

I'm pretty sure the larger Strymons like the TimeLine and Mobius need a bit more current (300mA minimum), but all the other requirements are the same.

I am have my own demo studio but no band and no gigs. Right now I am using one spots for all my dirt and single pedals. I have a time line' date=' möbius, lex, and el capistan that run off the power supplies that came with them. I am looking for a power supply that can run 4-5 pedals plus 2 of the big strymon units. Preferably with out breaking the bank.[/quote']

Me too.... but I'd need something that could power 10 pedals or so, plus a couple of Strymons.

• Members
I have way more pedals that require proprietary wall warts or have built-in transformers than pedals that can run off of a 9v daisy chain. So naturally, my power supply situation is quite cumbersome. But since my gigging days are super-rare now, convenience and portability are not really priorities for me. So I use a lot surge protectors and extenders.

fetch?id=31352139&type=full

where did you get these problem solvers ?

• Members

I use one of those "universal" power adapter where you pick a voltage between 1.5 and 12V and switch tips, chose polarity, etc... I need it back for it original (nom-guitar) purpose though, so I just ordered the monoprice supply for $6.50. Friend of mine swears by it and I only have a few pedals so 500mA is enough. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=611690 I already own a daisy chain adapter, otherwise they have a cheap one too:http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150103&p_id=611698&seq=1&format=2

Archived