X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper
    View Post

You can make the most inexpensive, highest quality guitar in the universe and it won't matter if nobody identifies with it. After all, in order to sell very high quality, at a low cost you gotta move a lot of volume... That is tough to sustain. Very few companies round that corner as well as Fender has. Having a diverse, modular product helped them a lot. You can get a good Fender at any price point, whether it is a $300 Squier made in China or a $5K custom shop made in California.

Love for Fender from consumers as a brand has seemed to soften since their filing for IPO. Selling out mentality? I dunno. Wallstreet put a big stop to that pointing out that Fender is highly levered, borrowing money to buy Kaman for $117M. Or that they were/are owed tons of money by some of their largest customers. Just seems to me Fender put the pedal to the metal in 2006 (lots of businesses did), without taking business cycles into account or the fact that maybe the future for guitars in general is not bright as we'd all wish. This may seem like an aside. But in the face of all of it, Fender hasn't cut corners on their quality, you still get a lot for what you pay, as far as I've seen. I doubt they'd be to blame for the end of Hamer or Ovation or any other Kaman company. Also, it has been 5 years. This thread is the most I've read about Hamer guitars in 20 years.

Rarely is the best ever the most popular?
    “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
    -Rachel Carson-

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by dparr
      View Post

Strings running through body, brass nut and bridge and a different tone-volume layout that is great.

Every product has to start somewhwre. Others take that product and improve on it. "Change" it for the better. Do you still drive a Model-T?

Actually, one of my cars is a hotrod Model-T... Granted it is a fiberglass bucket mounted to a Chevy 350. But yeah.

Comment

View Post

Strings running through body, brass nut and bridge and a different tone-volume layout that is great.

Every product has to start somewhwre. Others take that product and improve on it. "Change" it for the better. Do you still drive a Model-T?

Actually, one of my cars is a hotrod Model-T... Granted it is a fiberglass bucket mounted to a Chevy 350. But yeah.

Comment

View Post

Is this the only question you derived from my post? If so I am not sure I used absolute terms like "most popular" or "best", I certainly wasn't thinking in such absolutes. So I am gonna ask you to clarify what you mean by your question, please.

Comment

View Post

Is this the only question you derived from my post? If so I am not sure I used absolute terms like "most popular" or "best", I certainly wasn't thinking in such absolutes. So I am gonna ask you to clarify what you mean by your question, please.

Comment

View Post

Hamer's 8 and 12 string basses were pretty original. But who uses those? Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam and?

The guy from King's X?

I always thought their superstrat guitars were cool, but they stopped making them when they weren't in vouge, and never picked them up again. Their gibson style guitars were never that appealing to me, stylistically.

Comment

View Post

Hamer's 8 and 12 string basses were pretty original. But who uses those? Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam and?

The guy from King's X?

I always thought their superstrat guitars were cool, but they stopped making them when they weren't in vouge, and never picked them up again. Their gibson style guitars were never that appealing to me, stylistically.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2GDbEmjGE

Comment

• Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by erksin
                      View Post

Hamer had the same problem that Heritage has - when you base your whole concept by copying or trying to capitalize on the traditions and designs of a larger, more well-known and established competitor you will always be in the position of having to retell the story of why you are better. In doing so, you are constantly in the position of defending yourself and playing catch up.

Look at what PRS did - they started out basically making Hamer copies. As soon as they changed the shape of their bodies to something more uniquely PRS they took off.

Yep Hrgney did the same thing.

and I LOVE HAMER!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by erksin
                        View Post

Hamer had the same problem that Heritage has - when you base your whole concept by copying or trying to capitalize on the traditions and designs of a larger, more well-known and established competitor you will always be in the position of having to retell the story of why you are better. In doing so, you are constantly in the position of defending yourself and playing catch up.

Look at what PRS did - they started out basically making Hamer copies. As soon as they changed the shape of their bodies to something more uniquely PRS they took off.

Yep Hrgney did the same thing.

and I LOVE HAMER!

Comment

View Post

I don't think that Hamer suffered from not being what people want. I know a lot of Hamer fans. The dislike for them suprised me.

I think that they were much better guitar makers than business men.
                          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

View Post

I don't think that Hamer suffered from not being what people want. I know a lot of Hamer fans. The dislike for them suprised me.

I think that they were much better guitar makers than business men.
                            -Rachel Carson-

Comment

View Post

Well where do we start with this? Fender ran strings through the body in 1950, EVERYBODY was putting brass nuts on guitars in the '70s, and I guess if you think moving the knobs around is innovative then I don't really know that we have much if anything left to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiggins
                              View Post

you make it sound like Gibson invented electric guitars. The couple of body styles that they have in common with Gibson does not represent the entire production line as a whole.

No I don't - I make it sound like Hamer launched their brand on the backs of Gibson's R&D. DC LP Special, Explorer, and Flying V shapes right out of the gate. If they weren't trying to be nothing more than a US-based Ibanez at the time I don't know who else would qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper
                              View Post

No he makes it sound like Hamer doesn't make anything that wasn't already done by Gibson. "Me too, I'm cheaper." Literally says, "not the original."

Though I disagree with Erksin on one account. Hamer's 8 and 12 string basses were pretty original. But who uses those? Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam and?

Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick! And the circle is complete. lol

Comment

View Post

Well where do we start with this? Fender ran strings through the body in 1950, EVERYBODY was putting brass nuts on guitars in the '70s, and I guess if you think moving the knobs around is innovative then I don't really know that we have much if anything left to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiggins
                                View Post

you make it sound like Gibson invented electric guitars. The couple of body styles that they have in common with Gibson does not represent the entire production line as a whole.

No I don't - I make it sound like Hamer launched their brand on the backs of Gibson's R&D. DC LP Special, Explorer, and Flying V shapes right out of the gate. If they weren't trying to be nothing more than a US-based Ibanez at the time I don't know who else would qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper
                                View Post

No he makes it sound like Hamer doesn't make anything that wasn't already done by Gibson. "Me too, I'm cheaper." Literally says, "not the original."

Though I disagree with Erksin on one account. Hamer's 8 and 12 string basses were pretty original. But who uses those? Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam and?

Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick! And the circle is complete. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X