Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

I realize that this is HCFX, but with Phil's permission I've decided to start a Blues Jr. lounge.

I'm sure there are a lot of Fender lovers in here, as well as guys who dig this little amp and would like to have a place for discussion on all the mods, upgrades and secrets of this amp.

So ... welcome!!

I hope this thread will become a resource for Blues Junior owners, as well as assist those with any questions they may have about this phenomenal amp.

Guitars: G&L ASAT Classic Custom & Gibson Les Paul Studio || Amp: Dr. Z Maz 8 Studio
    Pedalboard: Disaster Area DPC-5 > Diamond Compressor, Skreddy LMMD, Timmy, Turbo Tuner, Strymon Timeline & Flint

My YouTube Channel

I guess I'll start off.

This is my beloved Fender Blues Jr. that I picked up on eBay from this guy out in Spokane, WA. He put

it into a custom Teak enclosure with an Oak base. The Oak is busted because he shipped it with the casters on (why would you put casters on this amp???) so I'm going to have to replace that, but this is EASILY one of the coolest Blues Jr.'s I've seen to date.

It came with several of the BillM mods including:

-Tone Stack Kit

-Twin Stack Kit

-Power Stiffening Resistor

-Metal Input Jack

I'm thinking about adding a few more of his mods, including:

-Bright Switch/Presence Control

-Reverb Kit

-Simple Adjustable Bias Kit

I'm also going to need to retube it (It's got the Fender Sovtek's in it) and replace the stock speaker.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them, and what tubes/replacement speakers are good for it?

I've heard good things about the Eminence Cannibus Rex & Texas Heat ... but I'd like to hear more from someone who has done this replacement.
    Guitars: G&L ASAT Classic Custom & Gibson Les Paul Studio || Amp: Dr. Z Maz 8 Studio
    Pedalboard: Disaster Area DPC-5 > Diamond Compressor, Skreddy LMMD, Timmy, Turbo Tuner, Strymon Timeline & Flint

My YouTube Channel

Comment

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ighlight=blues

Comment

i'm not sure about the reverb kit you're talking about but i'll share my experiences. i replaced my reverb tank with one made by ruby. i got it at mojo musical supply for $25 after hearing some people on the FDP talk about them. it made a big difference for not much money. the 'verb is more spacious and seems to dwell longer. i'd definitely recommend it and it's easy to change out.

Comment

Well then ...

Still, that one doesn't say "official," so this one feels a bit more qualified.

Thanks for the reverb tip.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Clips of how these sound?

That teak/oak enclosure is gorgeous. Is it much heavier than regular tolex? I'd imagine so...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy
              View Post

I guess I'll start off.

This is my beloved Fender Blues Jr. that I picked up on eBay from this guy out in Spokane, WA. He put

it into a custom Teak enclosure with an Oak base. The Oak is busted because he shipped it with the casters on (why would you put casters on this amp???) so I'm going to have to replace that, but this is EASILY one of the coolest Blues Jr.'s I've seen to date.

It came with several of the BillM mods including:

-Tone Stack Kit

-Twin Stack Kit

-Power Stiffening Resistor

-Metal Input Jack

I'm thinking about adding a few more of his mods, including:

-Bright Switch/Presence Control

-Reverb Kit

-Simple Adjustable Bias Kit

I'm also going to need to retube it (It's got the Fender Sovtek's in it) and replace the stock speaker.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them, and what tubes/replacement speakers are good for it?

I've heard good things about the Eminence Cannibus Rex & Texas Heat ... but I'd like to hear more from someone who has done this replacement.

That's a gorgeous looking guitar you got there. What is it?

Right now my BJ is being used as a speaker cab for my Mesa DC-10 until I can buy an avatar cab and get a warehouse greenback and an alnico blue in it. I've really considered modding the BJ though. I just wish it got louder.
              good deals w/: RockDaJoJo, timmyo, rrancani, inscho, johnrambo, hangwire, mrweems, cleverbastid, mandooks, cantoXIII, Munchlaxatives, Shawn_Duggan, Parah Salin, RuggerHann, hazelwould, tommasters

Comment

Right now I'm playing through a Crate Palomino which is a great amp in its own right, but I'll be adding a Tweed NOS BJ in a few weeks- can't wait!! Used to use a Fender Twin for gigging, but it was overkill for my uses now so I had to let it go Yours looks awesome Crxshdxmmy
                Good deals http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45270390

YoutubeJams http://www.youtube.com/user/sixblade...4?feature=mhee

Comment

Well, I figured I should post mine here as well. I love it! I've played countless amps, and I still love the tones I can get out of this little beast! I'm planning on buying an Orange Tiny Terror to get some more distorted sounds, though.

This is my Blues Junior:

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Unleash the Blues Junior's true hidden tone....swap out the POS/OEM speaker for a real one
                    Paint & Binding Does Not Equal Tone, Stevo

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy
                      View Post

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them

I had the adjustable bias and presence mod done to mine. I didn't do extensive testing beforehand, so I can't tell the difference with the lower bias now. Longer tube life is good enough for me though. The presence mod really gives the amp a whole 'nother level of sounds. Very very useful. Tell me how the reverb switch goes if you do it. I'm looking to continue upgrading my amp even more.

Also, does anyone know a similar speaker to the stock one? See, I love the idea of changing the speaker out to get better sounds, but not necessarily different sounds. I love the way my BJr sounds now and don't want to waste a ton of money trying out different speakers.
                      Jbrazz (lol)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by star0nfire
                        View Post

Well, I figured I should post mine here as well. I love it! I've played countless amps, and I still love the tones I can get out of this little beast! I'm planning on buying an Orange Tiny Terror to get some more distorted sounds, though.

This is my Blues Junior:

OOOOH! AAAAAAH!

Who did the cabinet work? VERY nice!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                          View Post

OOOOH! AAAAAAH!

Who did the cabinet work? VERY nice!

I think thats a limited edition one by Fender themselves. I've seen a few about in Europe.

It looks fantastic !

Crxshdxmmy, yours looks fantastic. - what guitar is that ?

So i take it the general concensus on these amps is good ?

I've been thinking of getting a smaller tube amp for myself and i've always wanted a fender anyways.

Are they loud ? - ie could you gig with one (miked obviously)

Can you get to the sweet spot at bedroom/house levels ? (ie, not too loud)
                          http://subplotstheband.blogspot.com/
                          www.cableattack.com/shop

WTB:
                          Death By Audio Soundwave Breakdown V2 (with the volume knob!)
                          EQD Bit Commander
                          ZVex Ringtone

Great Transactions with: fortytwo, HeartfeltDawn, fellsilver, Parah Salin, brandnewzo, itsallinmyh3ad, yem, Snufkino, LSMFT6, spiral

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Chaney
                            View Post

Yes and yes
                            Jbrazz (lol)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Chaney
                              View Post

They have a master volume which is nice so you can get great overdrive without the neighbors complaining
                              Originally Posted by ollenorin

And your "video" was the worst piece of "music" i have ever seen....jrak comes off like Mozart compared to you losers.

Comment

Working...
                              X