Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?

uppercasenoises

• Members

I'm pretty sure I have. 5 years ago I was listening to nothing but heavy metal, of all different types.

Since then I've gradually declined from heavy metal to...

-movie soundtracks (Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, James Horner, etc)

-ambient

-post-rock (This Will Destroy You is my favorite currently)

-various classical composers

-and even gaming soundtracks like Halo1/2/3 even though I don't spend much time on games these days.

I still like heavy metal, and I still pop in an album maybe a couple times a month in the car, but I just can't listen to it non-stop anymore.

You could also ask yourself the opposite - did you listen to more and more heavy metal as you got older?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel like the genre has stagnated, or maybe I don't know where to look for quality. I'll still listen to good metal, but I've heard only a couple new metal bands I thought were even remotely interesting in the last 4 years or so, and many of the bands I enjoyed in the past haven't been putting out amazing stuff lately.

• Members

I'd say 90 percent of the time I am listening to electronic music now :idk:.

I find a couple of good metal bands, but I have gotten VERY picky about what metal I like (even more so than when I was as a teenager). I do like how some bands like AAL are taking a more "intelligent" or artistic route with the genre. I've just gotten sick of the same imagery/themes in metal and I don't feel anything when I listen to a lot of these bands.

So no, you are not alone. I think the age of great "true" metal bands like Death are over.

• Members

i like some non metal artists here and there, but everything that i listen to in regular rotation is metal.
i'm really picky about what i like, so i don't have a lot of variety in said rotation
=/

This is the problem. There are a few artists I REALLY like in metal and will always love the genre for that. However, when I started expanding my interests because of that and started listening to some other genres (especially electronic in my case) I was overwhelmed by how many artists I liked. I can't stand stagnation, so metal has taken the back seat in my playlists.

I will say though that the bigger offshoots of metal have taken my interests lately, mainly post-rock/metal, instrumental and sludge/doom/stoner bands. The more iconic forms of metal have some slim pickins these days.

• Members

at some point in my life, i came to the realization that while music is very important to me, i'm not a music lover. there is FAR more out there that i loathe than i love.

what i like to listen to is guitar playing that's better than mine. not like yngwie type stuff, although i did go through a serious buckethead phase, just bands that are better than me...like, so much better that i know i could never actually learn their stuff, but i would still like to be able to play it.

am i making any sense?

• Members

I still love me some metal, I'm just damn picky about it these days.

This. I've never been just a metal head. I love me some metal, don't get me wrong. Grew up on Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, and Priest. I was in my early to mid teens when thrash busted out and Metallica put out their first three, and have loved something from each generation of metal that's come out. But still, I've always loved a huge spectrum of music, classical, folk, jazz, rock, blues, country, punk, etc...

• Members

I'll see your O'rly and raise you a:

show_crowd4.jpg

Can you find the woman in this metal crowd? (kind of a where's Waldo for metal heads , if you will) :)

Here's another:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWXEIZ2YFpUBhN4flnipT

Don't get me wrong here, I likes me a room full of angry sweaty young men as well as any 55 year old gay man.

I'm just yankin' your chains ya know. Back in the day I loved me some metal. Cut my teeth on Sabbath but I also like Billy Joel so go figure.