Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?

uppercasenoises

• Members

I know I grew out of metal and rock in general.I just got bored of it.
Now I listen to World Music ,Soundtracks , Django ,Ry Cooder and stuff like that.
There is so much music in the world other than rock , I'm always finding interesting stuff.
No disrespect to rock by the way , whatever floats your boat is good.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed. Sometimes a band...like (I think) Between The Buried and Me....really captures me.....until the cookie gurgling comes in...and I lose all interest. *FOR ME*...there's nothing musical or musically interesting about it at all. I get the feeling these bands often do it because they can't sing.

I still like growling/screaming vocals a lot. As long as their is something interesting about them. Some guys are good at it, others....not so much. And personal taste matters as well.

However, I'm finding myself more and more wishing some bands would move away from it as well. Their music, while crushingly heavy, doesn't really need/fit with screamy vocals IMO.

I was just listening to some Periphery at work today and actually found myself thinking on some of the songs, "I sorta wish he'd just sung that one" while on other songs I liked the screaming stuff.

Lots of it is personal taste I know, but I don't need screamy for it to be heavy, but I still like lots of screamy stuff. If that makes any sense at all. :lol:

• Members
I still love me some metal, I'm just damn picky about it these days.

Same here, more or less :)
I don't listen to music as much as I used to (kids, wife, full time job..)
So when I DO sit down and listen, I'm more concerned about the quality (according to my taste)

I listen to harder/heavier/faster music at 38 than when I was 18 :lol:

• Members

at some point in my life, i came to the realization that while music is very important to me, i'm not a music lover. there is FAR more out there that i loathe than i love.

what i like to listen to is guitar playing that's better than mine. not like yngwie type stuff, although i did go through a serious buckethead phase, just bands that are better than me...like, so much better that i know i could never actually learn their stuff, but i would still like to be able to play it.

am i making any sense?

yuss

i dont think that makes u a non-music lover, you've just honed your musical taste over the years and know whatcha like

o and

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

• Members

Same here, more or less
:)
I don't listen to music as much as I used to (kids, wife, full time job..)

So when I DO sit down and listen, I'm more concerned about the quality (according to my taste)

I listen to harder/heavier/faster music at 38 than when I was 18
:lol:

this

• Members

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking other places to learn and grow as a guitar player, musician...and music listener. I hate modern metal...talk about "posers". Half the time Godsmack and all the other copycats (of whoever) are talking about being upset with the girlfriend.
:rolleyes:

I still have a fondness for good 80's metal (not Poison...but Helloween, TNT, Maiden, Raven...etc), but I have also grown into jazz, fusion, the jam band scene (like Moe/Umphrey's/etc). All part of my musical journey that I wouldn't have if I subscribed to your philosophy.

"real music"? I don't think you know.

Adding other interests isn't the same as "growing out of it".

Douche.

• Members

I find this thread and others like it INANE. Stereotyping is BS. Why would anyone stop liking a song that they found appealing. On the other hand only an idiot likes something because they are told its in a stereotypical style akin to something they may have previously enjoyed without regard to the actual content of the "new" material. Great musicians arent constrained by stylistic over-simplifications and intelligent listeners arent either. If you're that easily swayed then you still belong in the KISS army and were probably a lemming in a former incarnation!

• Members

I find this thread and others like it INANE. Stereotyping is BS. Why would anyone stop liking a song that they found appealing. On the other hand only an idiot likes something because they are told its in a stereotypical style akin to something they may have previously enjoyed without regard to the actual content of the "new" material. Great musicians arent constrained by stylistic over-simplifications and intelligent listeners arent either. If your that easily swayed then you still belong in the KISS army and were probably a lemming in a former incarnation!

You must be young...because you don't see that people change. What sounded awesome when you don't know {censored} sounds like {censored} when you do. Just like thieving some bubble gum seems like a good idea at the time, when you were 10. You GROW UP to know better and how to earn the things you want. Well, you should. You don't ALWAYS know all the good stuff. There's too much, for one. Your journey to seek good music should never end..no matter how old or how imperfect. It sometimes means you change as a human and that is usually a good thing. It means you leave childish simple things behind. It doesn't mean it wasn't important. It means it's just another step on the journey.

• Members
You must be young...because you don't see that people change. What sounded awesome when you don't know {censored} sounds like {censored} when you do. Just like thieving some bubble gum seems like a good idea at the time, when you were 10. You GROW UP to know better and how to earn the things you want. Well, you should. You don't ALWAYS know all the good stuff. There's too much, for one. Your journey to seek good music should never end..no matter how old or how imperfect. It sometimes means you change as a human and that is usually a good thing. It means you leave childish simple things behind. It doesn't mean it wasn't important. It means it's just another step on the journey.

You're putting words in my mouth! You assume that I liked something that was "bad" out of ignorance. So if I liked Bach at age 5 then I am an idiot to still like Bach?? My appetites are my own and just because I may be exposed to new things doesnt mean the devaluation of previous experiences. Closing your mind to new stuff because its not "metal" (or any other style) is shallow. To let others influence your decisions based on stereotypical assumptions is the sign of a weak mind.

• Members

You're putting words in my mouth! You assume that I liked something that was "bad" out of ignorance. So if I liked Bach at age 5 then I am an idiot to still like Bach?? My appetites are my own and just because I may be exposed to new things doesnt mean the devaluation of previous experiences. Closing your mind to new stuff because its not "metal" (or any other style) is shallow. To let others influence your decisions based on stereotypical assumptions is the sign of a weak mind.

You assumed that we were talking about "Stereotypes". It isn't what anyone said...but I can see you just came in to make up stuff then argue about it.

In fact you are coming in here making numerous assumptions altogether. So I can see this is a no-win...not with e-bullies like you.

Fact is...we as human beings change. Sometimes for good sometimes not. And music is just a small part of that. You can keep thinking you know everything and are already perfect.

• Members
You assumed that we were talking about "Stereotypes". It isn't what anyone said...but I can see you just came in to make up stuff then argue about it.

In fact you are coming in here making numerous assumptions altogether. So I can see this is a no-win...not with e-bullies like you.

Fact is...we as human beings change. Sometimes for good sometimes not. And music is just a small part of that. You can keep thinking you know everything and are already perfect.

The subject of the op "Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?."
I spoke out against this very thing. its BS for the following reasons
1. "heavy metal" is a stereotype no less than saying "black music "
2. It assumes that you had to be childish to like anything that someone shoves into the category
3. It devalues past experiences without regard to actual content.
So I did comment on the subject-your interpretation of my words needs work. I dont see how I was bullying anyone or where I claimed personnal perfection!

• Members

The subject of the op "Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?."

I spoke out against this very thing. its BS for the following reasons

1. "heavy metal" is a stereotype no less than saying "black music "

2. It assumes that you had to be childish to like anything that someone shoves into the category

3. It devalues past experiences without regard to actual content.

So I did comment on the subject-your interpretation of my words needs work. I dont see how I was bullying anyone or where I claimed personnal perfection!

See what I mean?

• Members
Still into the stuff I grew up on, but what I'm hearing now, doesn't appeal to me, except Animals as leaders, and the like. I think it's the vocal style of the new stuff that rubs me the wrong the way.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

This, I can't stand cookie monster vocals, that can put me off of a group for good. I'm more of a Rocker than anything else. I love good hard driving guitar based Rock n Roll. Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, all the way up to Pearl Jam, Bush, Foo Fighters,Drowning Pool just to name a few.

• Members

The problem is that metal for the most part stagnates at the lyrical and conceptual level as the musicians age. It seems ridiculous to be singing about drinking blood fro a skull and worhipping Satan when your 50. Life has both good and bad and singing about the human condition is more metal to me. Wearing Corpse paint and gutteral vocals is just as much an image and posing as Glam rock was back in the day. This is the problem, nothing captures the human emotions of despair, anguish and rage like extreme metal, which are apart of life yes, but the lyrics and constant love of negativity are so one dimensional as to drain it of the power it could have. PS: I know what your going to say---who the hell listens to lyrics in metal anyway?

• Members
The problem is that metal for the most part stagnates at the lyrical and conceptual level as the musicians age. It seems ridiculous to be singing about drinking blood fro a skull and worhipping Satan when your 50.

Right, because every metal song is about drinking blood from a skull.

:facepalm: