Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?

uppercasenoises

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I used to be 90% metal when I was 18. Now I'm maybe 5% at 39. Not sure where Porcupine Tree & Tool fit into the "heavy metal" genre, if at all, but that's about as close as I get.

The genre just seems completely stagnant. Besides, what else can you do beyond what Slayer did?!? :rawk:

Someone said "Why would anyone stop liking a song that they found appealing" and to that I say...didn't you once watch (insert childrens show here)? Even though it was completely great to you at that time, you grew older, and it lost its appeal. It may hold some nostalgic appeal, but thats it.

• Members

It's kinda of funny, I'm pretty young right now, and the mood I'm in determines what kind of metal I listen to. My spectrum of metal spans far an wide. That is about 80-90% of the time. The other 10-20% is listen to other types of music. Like Joe Bonamassa, Deep Purple, blues, Django Reinhardt, Tool, APC, Robin Trower, Al Di Meola, Pat Metheny, and tons of other things too.

• Members

I've listened to metal almost everyday since i was 16, but last august when i joined my first metal band, i pretty much quit listening to metal and got into other styles of music like The Tallest Man on Earth, The Strokes, Explosions in the Sky, Minus the Bear, Circa Survive. And now that i've quit that band my desire to start another metal band is almost gone, it's more fun to listen to metal then play it IMO

• Members

metal is in a bad place right now.

even most the bad ass euro metal bands that saved the day in the mid/late 90's(when all america had to offer was korn, limp bizkit, and rob zombie) are putting out boring, non-memorable albums.

as far as getting old and growing out of it? to some extent thats probably going to happen. i mean i'll throw on some iced earth or some stratovarious, and even though i'm enjoying it, a big part of me knows how cheezy it really is, where as when i was 18, it was the coolest {censored} ever.

• Members

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal acts (Maiden, Priest, Def Leppard, et al) are sort of when I became musically aware, so Metal was all I listened to back in the day but now that I'm starting to hit Middle Age, I've obviously matured quite a bit, so now I'm just more diverse... when you're an adult, you can't just listen to Iron Maiden all day. Sometimes you want something more in tune with whats going on in your family or professional life, like some Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, or Children of Bodom. That kind of stuff. So, really, I've grown up musically, I honestly like both types of music now: Heavy and Metal.

• Members

Never did much Heavy Metal, by the time it came around I was moving from Rock to Jazz. It's a good idea to reinvent yourself every few years, move on to something more advanced. I've done Folk, Surf, Country, Blues and a ton of different Rock music. I can't imagine most the 30 somethings playing Heavy Metal today will still do it in their 50's, 60's and beyond, I hope they move on to something else.

• Members
This.

Good music, is good music.

Show me a good country & western song and I'll probably like it. The odds are low, but it's not impossible.

Heck, I loved some of the True Blood background music.

Cash, Johnny Cash, Ghost Riders in the Sky may have been one of the 1st metal songs and he never knew it or intended it to be.:cop:Just add heavily distorted guitar and slightly more aggressive singing:idk:

• Members
Cash, Johnny Cash, Ghost Riders in the Sky may have been one of the 1st metal songs and he never knew it or intended it to be.:cop:Just add heavily distorted guitar and slightly more aggressive singing:idk:

Gene Autry may have been the first to sing it in 1949. The best instermental version I remember was done by a Surf Band called the Challengers.

• Members

I wouldn't say I "grew out of it." I mean, I don't listen to JUST metal any more. I go through phases. For a period of about a year I mostly just listened to IDM, post-rock, and a bit of jazz. The only metal I really listened to often was Buckethead.

Oh, for you geezers out there, "IDM" means "techno that is pleasant to listen to while sitting around your house, rather than most techno, which is only pleasant if you're a dancing e-tard.

NOTE TO THE MODS: "E-tard" is not meant to be a cheap bypass of the wordfilter. It's a term for people who do too much ecstasy. Just thought I'd point that out if you guys were feeling trigger-happy today.

• Members
I wouldn't say I "grew out of it." I mean, I don't listen to JUST metal any more. I go through phases. For a period of about a year I mostly just listened to IDM, post-rock, and a bit of jazz. The only metal I really listened to often was Buckethead.

Oh, for you geezers out there, "IDM" means "techno that is pleasant to listen to while sitting around your house, rather than most techno, which is only pleasant if you're a dancing e-tard.

NOTE TO THE MODS: "E-tard" is not meant to be a cheap bypass of the wordfilter. It's a term for people who do too much ecstasy. Just thought I'd point that out if you guys were feeling trigger-happy today.

I finally learned something new. I'm a geezer.