Anyone ever grow out of heavy metal as you get older?

uppercasenoises

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I havent grown out of metal, i love it as much today as i did 25 yrs ago, metal is what i mostly listen to, i have expanded and like other types of music but im always gonna listen to heavy music and keep adding to it, im always checking out new music and looking for stuff i havent heard or forgot about, i still like the stuff i grew up listening to and today I might be older but im not gonna change what i love. I will just add to it.

• Members

Still into it but I don't get excited by any 'new' metal. I think the genre has become boring and predictable. Only a handful of bands are really doing something different and interesting like Daath for an example.

I'm listening to more Film sound tracks and more jazz infused stuff that metal, especially over the past year.

• Members

Still into it as much as when I was 13 or so, when I discovered the genre. I am picky though.

So, that was...like 2 years ago :o

I feel exactly the same as Knucklefux here...I just don't care for a whole lot of different styles of music. I can appreciate them, but I don't want to listen to that {censored} when I'm driving to work or working out.

In fact, I find myself trying to find heavier music to get into the older I get. I'm always looking out for something new in the metal genre, but as stated many times above, it's difficult to find..especially when you're as picky as I am.

• Members

the only stuff i listen to is new releases from bands i like, i am mostly not impressed with it ... i still listen to metal though even though it died a long time ago

besides metal being dead i feel all of music is dead (new/future stuff) .. i can only resort to older stuff everything is so over done and manufactured these days it just makes me want to cry

not to sound gay but i have always liked some good techno ... been listening to alot lately

• Members

I don't think I've ever been a full on "metal head" or anything, although for a few years it was most of what I listened to. That said, I don't seem to like much of what's coming out these days, so aside from a few things that grab my fancy, I tend to listen more to stuff I listened to back when I got into metal. Outside of metal, I don't really care what genre it's under; if I like it, I'll listen to it.

For example, now playing:

[video=youtube;maB3CsuGe3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maB3CsuGe3U

:idk:

• Members

26 now and moved on. listen to a lot of post-punk, new wave, classic rock/metal. Also become a big Beatles fan, metal is dead genre these days. I think there is the wider problem with music at the moment, all these bands are rehashes and originality is hard to come by. Respect to the M83 mention DeadNight Warrior, have you listened to 'Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts'? Bit more raw than that album.

• Members

Pretty much.

I liked metal when I was a 14 year old with a bad attitude. :lol: Angry music was just the thing. Nothing seriously heavy, but I liked Metallica, System of a Down, POD and the like, as well as RATM and Audioslave. Largely what was popular with my friends with whom I listened to music, I guess... I grew out of it pretty quickly. It wasn't long before I became more interested in RHCP, and I moved on from them to Steve Vai, became decidedly more interested in Pink Floyd, discovered Dream Theater, and then began to rediscover Pat Metheny's music (which I'd been into since I was a small child - My parents are big fans).

DT was my first major musical interest as a guitar player (which happened when I was 16). John Petrucci was the first guitar player that majorly impacted on me as a player, and that I'd call an 'influence'. I was obsessed with that band for about two years solidly, before I majored more on Pat Metheny's music, which I did the same thing with before finally diversifying and listening to a more healthy mixture. :lol: I guess I might have headed in the metal direction had I succeeded in mastering the fast picking stuff, which I still practice, and still can't do. Getting there little by little. Maybe. :lol:

However, for all that, one summer (I think it was '09) I did get into Opeth in a big way. I only bought BWP and GR (being a broke student at the time, and being a broke unemployed graduate now :(), but I really liked that music a lot. I still do occasionally listen - I like the music, it's just that, to concur with the sentiments of this thread, I'm just not into aggressive, angry metal anymore. Now at the age of 21, I like to listen to music that inspires, relaxes, and/or makes me happy. Metal doesn't do that, and it never has. I'm currently on a major Floyd kick. :love: