Any of you guys use rechargable 9v batteries in your pedals.

Warhorse

• Members

They will definately work, but rechargables (NiCd and NiMH) won't hold 9v throughout the duration of the batteries life, so your analog pedals will be more and more voltage starved as the battery is used.

You may actually like the effect of "browning out" an OD pedal, but an analog delay or modulation pedal run on rechargeables may not perform nearly as well as they do with an alkaline battery or power supply.

basically on a full charge they are something like 7.5 volts or a tad more, not quite 9v like an alkaline, and as they are being used may be around 6v when they need to be charged.

• Members

I would have loved to use a 9V rechargeable battery but I never found them anywhere or if I did the price was insane. I used 1.5V AA batteries, though.

Few impressions: They battery life wasn't a problem, IMO. However, the batteries got "worn out" during use, eventually the recharge time became insanely long (e.g. 2 days), if unused a while some of the batteries started to leak fluids faster than ordinary non-rechargeable batteries, and as a final nail on the coffin the batteries eventually began to become hot as hell during recharging and I didn't want to continue using them as I was afraid they would explode or damage the charging unit. Also, due to high recharging times it was impossible to charge them while "supervising" the process. I bought a few new rechargeable ones a few times but naturally they cost way more than ordinary ones and they weren't everlasting so I kinda couldn't get that "save the planet" feeling while dumping the (rechargeable) batteries to thrash like usual. I gave up.

Lesson learned: Every frigging pedal should have an internal power supply or you should buy one "brick" power supply unit and use a daisychained DC cord. Batteries suck. Buying batteries sucks. With rechargeable batteries you have less suck on buying batteries but more suck on other aspects of dealing with them. The level of suck is constant whatever type of batteries you use.

• Members

Sanyo Pedal Juice rechargable power supply. $99 IN STORE ONLY at GC.

Wait for July 4th, take the 15% coupon with you and get one for $85. I've been using one for months with between 5-6 pedals. Works like a charm, no noise and you never have to worry about where you are on stage.

• Members

Wait for July 4th, take the 15% coupon with you and get one for $85. I've been using one for months with between 5-6 pedals. Works like a charm, no noise and you never have to worry about where you are on stage.

• Members

Went with a Pedal Power 2 for the pedal board and never looked back. Rechargeables are great for things that draw a lot of current in a short time (like wireless transmitters) - they will outlast alkalines if you get good ones. However, they typically gradually lose their charge when just sitting there, so in practical terms for pedal use, they aren't as good as alkalines.

• Members

You probably won't be pleased with the results. Most don't supply 9 vdc to begin with, and the battery life is nowhere near what alkaline batteries is. You may like the "brownout" effect on your analog dirt pedals, but modulation and time based effects suffer, IMO.

I use a Lithium 9 volt in my EMG equipped Strat and it's lasted well over a year. Of course, active pickups are NOT stompboxes.

• Members

I had some at one time, but they didnt hold charge long. I think I had a bad set or a bad charger.

I use cheap dollar store batterys for fuzz & distortion pedals. For "color" peddals, I like lithium 9 volts. I also like Lithium 9 volts for active pick ups.

• Members

Thanks for all the great info guys i really appreciate it:wave:. I'm just using a octave, overdrive, aby box and a tuner up front ( reverb and delay on top of the amp with pw supply) so i'll stick with regular old batteries for now. It's to bad rechargable battery technology has disappointing performance:cry:

Although the sanyo looks very interesting:idea:

• Members

I've tried them and did not like them, the sound quality degrades too fast. I've also used regular batteries, 1-spot etc... finally decided to bite the bullet and paid the $110 for the Voodoo Labs ISO-5. One of my best purchases ever, it solved all my power issues once and for all. Totally worth it.

• Members

I've tried them and did not like them, the sound quality degrades too fast. I've also used regular batteries, 1-spot etc... finally decided to bite the bullet and paid the $110 for the Voodoo Labs ISO-5. One of my best purchases ever, it solved all my power issues once and for all. Totally worth it.

{censored}in this :thu:

ISO-5 ftw. My LP/pedals/Plexi rig was dead silent. Only hum I got all night was when I moved to the Strat and even then it was minimal. 1 spot isn't bad, but my rig is definitely quieter with the ISO-5.

• Members

{censored}in this
:thu:

ISO-5 ftw. My LP/pedals/Plexi rig was dead silent. Only hum I got all night was when I moved to the Strat and even then it was minimal. 1 spot isn't bad, but my rig is definitely quieter with the ISO-5.

Whew! Just ordered one last Friday after having to deal with a bar having the {censored}TIEST ground in known humanity..

I only use rechargables in my wireless transmitter.

• Members

Whew! Just ordered one last Friday after having to deal with a bar having the {censored}TIEST ground in known humanity..

I only use rechargables in my wireless transmitter.

One of the places I play regularly is like that, horrible electrical wiring, I had so many problems with noise there before it's not even funny. I played there last week with the ISO-5 and the problem is completely gone.

I love this thing so much. From now on, every time I talk to a guitar player my first question will be "how do you power your pedals?" and if the answer is anything other than Voodoo Labs, the conversation is over! :lol:

• Members

One of the places I play regularly is like that, horrible electrical wiring, I had so many problems with noise there before it's not even funny. I played there last week with the ISO-5 and the problem is completely gone.

I love this thing so much. From now on, every time I talk to a guitar player my first question will be "how do you power your pedals?" and if the answer is
anything other
than Voodoo Labs, the conversation is over!
:lol:

LMAO!!!! :lol:

Dude, seriously I've already started looking down on boards that don't have a proper power source :lol::facepalm:

Archived