Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boutique vs. vintage

Probably going to sink some $$$ into another amp after the new year. Something fender-ish. It'll be a workhorse, get gigged every weekend....

Looking at prices of vintage (blackface era) fenders and modern boutique stuff, looks to be very comparable.

So I'm looking for opinions....keep in mind, dependability, resale value, etc.

New boutique hand wired or vintage fender?
    Les Paul's & Strats, Fender Super & Blues Junior, Fulltone pedals & a whole lot of stuff that I don't use and can't seem to let go....

Unless that particular vintage amp has mojo factor that just inspires you, definitely new.
    Everyone's Here -> GUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD .COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPB OARD.COM

Comment

Swart & Victoria amps come to mind , though I think they are more of the tweed era .
      "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
      Nikola Tesla

Comment

There's two main things to consider IMO when it comes to a question of vintage vs new custom.

1; resale value. Generally speaking, you will not get back the money you invest in a custom amp.

2; Reliablilty. IMO a quality custom/boutique amp is going to be much more reliable and have less maintainence cost.

Weigh those two things out and your decision should be made. If you plan to keep this amp forever, a custom/boutique is the better choice IMO. If you plan to sell it sooner or later, get the vintage amp...
        Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

i'd look new.

for blackface-style amps, i'd check out tone king amps.

http://www.toneking.com/products/index.html

for tweed style, and more vintage correct, i'd check out

victoria amps (great handwired build and vintage correct)

http://www.victoriaamplifier.com/

OR

clark amps

http://www.clarkamplification.com/

for tweed style but with a modern twist, check out swart. (i like swart for tweed stuff. the AST is a sick sick amp.)

http://www.swartamps.com/
          - Adam

Comment

IMO, the best thing about boutique amps is they sell for cheap on the used market. I would buy a used blackface styled boutique amp and work it to death. I have an Allen Accomplice, which is based on BF Fender amps and its built like a tank. Its one of my workhorse amps.
            Diddlybo
            -----------------------------------------------
            Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
            My current amp selection:
            Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Good HCAF transactions with hal9000, guitup, Anibas and ARS.

Comment

I'd prolly err on the side of buying new unless you were very sure about the reliability and condition of the vintage piece. Just my .02

Originally Posted by BrendanO

It's not prostitution as long as you film it.

Comment

Vintage. Old Fenders are a bargain compared to new boutique stuff.

I've seen blackface pro reverbs in workhorse shape for ~$1500 lately and Twins/Deluxe reverbs for $2k. Heck drip rail Supers for ~$1000...

Nothing against boutique stuff but those old Fenders are beasts and easily on par with anything 'boutique'.

Comment

a "vintage" (the **************** does that mean, anyway?) amp is going to be just as reliable as a new one IF the wear items are replaced...filter caps, vibrato roach, etc. for me to completely go through something like an old twin is less than $500 with new tubes, and it'll be as reliable as an electronic device can be.

the prices on some of the new fender clones (booteeek) are ridiculous.
                  got a question about TITAN amps? ask me
                  here

my website

TITAN AMPS on myspace

My band:Last Comes Gunfire

Comment

Also vintage fenders will keep going up in value.

Boutique companies sink all the time when the new flavor of the month pops up and TGP decides to sell the old amps for half price.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
                      View Post

Vintage. Old Fenders are a bargain compared to new boutique stuff.

I've seen blackface pro reverbs in workhorse shape for ~$1500 lately and Twins/Deluxe reverbs for $2k. Heck drip rail Supers for ~$1000...

Nothing against boutique stuff but those old Fenders are beasts and easily on par with anything 'boutique'.

You do make a good point, the vintage stuff is as cheap as I've ever seen it. Here is good example of what you're talking about on our local CL. This could definitely be a workhorse.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/3444530931.html
                      Diddlybo
                      Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by diddlybo
                        View Post

You do make a good point, the vintage stuff is as cheap as I've ever seen it. Here is good example of what you're talking about on our local CL. This could definitely be a workhorse.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/3444530931.html

I picked one of those up last year for $350 in near mint condition. $50 to have a 3 prong installed and it works like new.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by boonestunes
                          View Post

Probably going to sink some $$$ into another amp after the new year. Something fender-ish. It'll be a workhorse, get gigged every weekend....

Looking at prices of vintage (blackface era) fenders and modern boutique stuff, looks to be very comparable.

So I'm looking for opinions....keep in mind, dependability, resale value, etc.

New boutique hand wired or vintage fender?

Between these 2 options I'd say an old Fender is your best bet.

But also look into new Fenders, you can find a DRRI for great prices all the time and if that's not a workhorse amp, I don't know what is.

I don't like boutique anything so I would stay away from that.
                          http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

Cool thoughts. Allen Amps is just up the road from me.... Have been looking at that Accomplice Jr....
                            Les Paul's & Strats, Fender Super & Blues Junior, Fulltone pedals & a whole lot of stuff that I don't use and can't seem to let go....

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by boonestunes
                              View Post

Cool thoughts. Allen Amps is just up the road from me.... Have been looking at that Accomplice Jr....

Are you good with a soldering iron? If so, his kits are awesome.
                              Diddlybo

Comment

Working...
                              X