Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience I have found that a band should practice so everybody will get comfortable playing together. And it is a good way to see if everybody is on the same page.
    I just do it. Most of the time the bands I play with are ready to start gigging after a couple practices. Though we are not pop song oriented. There is alot of group improvisation involved.

Comment

Originally posted by elsongs
      I'd done this with my band, and it's worked wonderfully:

We'd spend the first half of each rehearsal going over specific parts and song structure, breaks, etc.

The second half ot he rehearsal we will perform the songs as if we did it live on stage.

While we go over the songs, I have a MiniDisc recorder with a stereo mic makign a quick and dirty recording of the band.

After rehearsal, I take the audio from the MiniDisc recording, and make MP3s from each of the songs.

Then, I put it online on a "private" website that only the bandmemebers can see.

From then on, the bandmembers download the MP3s to hear the rehearsal sessions.

It's worked wonders because the first thing the bandmembers do is listen to and evaluate their own part (mistakes and all) and work hard to not repeat those mistakes during the gig.

Even if you don't have a MiniDisc, a tape recorder, digital recorder, or laptop with a mic would work. Anything to capture what the rehearsal sounds like. If you only assess your rehearsal from memory that doesn't cut it.

I've been doing the MiniDisc thing also. I usually burn CD's for the band and try to give it to them the next day. But last week I did the MP3 and sent them a link to a website. Works great...., and hearing what you really sound like is priceless.
      http://www.myspace.com/399453211

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=276061

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails

Comment

my bands usual practice routine is playing the set over and over and over with live "transitions" and such. if we mess up we start the set over again. it may sound tedious or unnecessary but after we did that for about a month we went on stage tighter then we've ever sounded before.

we usually do this 2-5 days a week depending on whats going on show wise. right now we're getting a new drummer up to speed so we're pulling 5 day a week practices. sometimes it gets tiring but the payoff on stage is worth it
        ........and then i killed the thread

My band. We're loud

Comment

Simple: if you have enough material to get through a gig and you can play all the songs with no train wrecks, you've rehearsed enough to start gigging.
          My VCAs go to 11

Comment

If you can start the songs together, can end the songs together, and can mess up in the middle but keep the song going, then you're ready to play out.
            Rimspeed: www.rimspeed.com
            DoublePost: www.myspace.com/doublepost

Comment

We used to practice 3 times a week to learn new songs, then scaled back to 1 time a week when we were gigging farily often. If we get rusty then we'll practice 4 times the week before, running through each set from front to back. Then take it easy and practice maybe once in the week of the gig so we're not burnt out by the time we play,..

Comment

The cover band I'm in does not rehearse. When we do an "original" gig with the woman who is our singer, we'll get together on the Wednesday night before the gig and run the set twice.

All the musicians are over 40 and have great ear's/chops so it's more about just wanting to play the tunes.

On occaision I'll put together a CD of "new" tunes that would require more woodshedding than just "winging" it at the gig, then we'll try those at some point during the night and then just add them to the list.

We also don't do Set lists in the cover band at all. Just move with the crowd and pop'm out as needed. We have about 200 songs to choose from at this point.
                Geezer Brigade #28...

Strings, Wires, Paper, Wood, Steel, Plastic, Ebony, Glass, Metal, Mesh Fingers, Arms, Legs, Lungs, Brain. TIme.

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

Play as soon as you are ready. One gig is worth five rehearsals.
                  =========+=========+=========+=========+========+= =====
                  Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

Originally posted by jackcheez
                    Play as soon as you are ready. One gig is worth five rehearsals.

I wish I could have gotten that through to the other guys in Crescent Seven...
                    C7
                    Subliminal aggression - C7 has it. -Incubitabus

One time my gig bag and everything in it mysteriously got covered in urine while it was in my home. I want to blame the cats but my wife is crazy sometimes. -Davedblyoo

C7... HCBF's resident pompous dick with a claw hammer. -Hearafter
                    Winner!! T-Broom's Inaugural HCBF Funny MF Award 10/6/06
                    Winner!! Thumper's 'HCBF Gutter Poet' Award 6/17/07

"Oh my god...C7 You are so rock and roll, it's not even funny." -bassgirl9

Comment

To Be Honest, no one can really say. As every bad is different we all have to practice a different amount of times.

Some bands can pull of 1 times a week and some bands have to practice more

Its all to do with your personal jive.

And personally dont rush yourselfs in saying 'This is when we're gonna do it' . Just do it when yur ready!!

Comment

My (cover/wedding/function) band does not practice together. Just about every gig we have new songs to learn. We do everything online and at home. We learn the new material and send out, via e-mail, the chord/time changes, keys, and basic harmonies. This saves alot of time and has worked out very well so far.

Comment

Working...
                        X