No announcement yet.

Stage fright

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage fright

My stage fright got so bad,I gave up gigging. Even jamming requires 2 or 3 beers. Anyone else have this? What helps overcome it?

The crowd in over your head?
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Some people are not meant to perform...it is performance anxiety, the fear of being judged, and not easily overcome if you have that issue. Drinking is likely the worst 'solution', as it will likely impair your judgement and goof up your performance. Counseling may help. We have a number of players at HC who are not willing to get up on a stage, and that is okay.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I was lucky enough to be surrounded by people that would encouraged me to play but did not require me to do so, so that I was able to build up my confidence over time. In the end though you just have to get out there and do it. I took to busking at farmer's markets as a low stress way to get used to playing in public. I still prefer busking or open mics to playing on a stage/in a bar. At least when I busk I know people are not there to hear me vs being in a bar where people are just 'sort of ' listening to you which I just find strange.
        The further away I am, the better I sound....

Comment

In a bar, besides alkalizm, people are there to celebrate what's left of themselves. Entertaining them is no easy proposition. You just gotta be one of 'em seems.
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Van Morrison, Marvin Gaye and a few other artists suffered this.
            "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

I get butterflies before going onstage a lot of the time... I enjoy playing live in spite of that, but I still am much more confortable working in the studio.

One of the worst cases of stage fright that I know of is what Andy Partridge of the band XTC suffers... he's a fantastic player and great songwriter, but his nerves are so bad that they had to quit touring because of it. A shame really - I would have loved to have seen them live, but never got the chance to do so before they stopped touring.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Do you have a problem when playing around friends or the band? If not, then is it the numbers? If it is, look for a friendly face, even if it's in the band. Think of things that make you comfortable. Stay away from beer or liquor. That won't help in the long term. You can start to look away and peer at faces as time goes on. Look at your feet, pedals, amp, or guitar. Look at the ceiling above the center of the crowd.

Comment

• daddymack
                  daddymack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  looking away may help him, but it certainly won't engage the audience.

• GoldJim
                  GoldJim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, but it would help in the short run. There is no shortage of professional or amateur musicians who look anywhere but at the audience.

Dendy recently reviewed a book that he says really helped him deal with the issue of stage fright. Here's a link to his review in case anyone wants to check it out.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by GoldJim View Post
                  Do you have a problem when playing around friends or the band? If not, then is it the numbers? If it is, look for a friendly face, even if it's in the band. Think of things that make you comfortable. Stay away from beer or liquor. That won't help in the long term. You can start to look away and peer at faces as time goes on. Look at your feet, pedals, amp, or guitar. Look at the ceiling above the center of the crowd.
                  Coming from no small amount of experience, looking away rates as little more than an attempt to pretend the audience isn't there. Tantamount to not meeting the gaze of one's opponent, it is a weak footing that only encourages fear. I was far better off when I learned to at least come out and look at the audience and smile. Trying to fool myself into thinking I had the courage was ultimately way more successful than trying to fool myself into thinking the audience wasn't there.

That's not to say that ogling the audience is the thing to do either. That's a different trip. But an acknowledgement that they're there is important IMO.
                  Last edited by RockViolin; 03-23-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

some old big band era horn player once told me, " if you ever stop gettin' butterflies before you go on... take up knittin' or something cause your heart just aint in it anymore."
                    my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

#8.2

GoldJim commented
                      01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
                      Editing a comment

No, but it would help in the short run. There is no shortage of professional or amateur musicians who look anywhere but at the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
                        some old big band era horn player once told me, " if you ever stop gettin' butterflies before you go on... take up knittin' or something cause your heart just aint in it anymore."
                        ​I think there's some truth to that. Some peoples' butterflies are more like swarms of giant hornets with 9 inch stingers packing nerve toxin of the highest order though. They don't add a little skip to your step, they make you wanna run for your life. And that's effectively what the op has done. He can scarcely jam with his peers < (presumably) without taking the edge off.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
                          #8.2

GoldJim commented
                          01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
                          Editing a comment

​Show me a bunch of *performers* that can't manage to face the audience and I'll show you a bunch of performers that are stuck, and will likely never progress beyond that unless they take that first brave step of facing their fear.

Comment

well, i guess this " sia" is making bank? i dont know just thought it odd but fit somehow... not facing the sudience by design.

Comment

Working...
                            X