Bread and Butter Songlist?

sventvkg

• Members

If you were giving advice to someone just starting out as a solo performer what are the 50 or so tunes you would tell them to learn? My uncle who was doing the solo thing very successfully gave me my first 50-100 bread and butter tunes to learn and he was right. Anyway, I have someone asking me and i'm a bit out of the loop as to newer tunes that may have become bread and butter standards. Whatcha got? :love:

• Members

Live, I only play a handful of songs written after 1989, and no one seems to care, even the younger crowd.
:idk:

+1

When I do get a younger crowd, they want me to play the retro stuff. They actually like to show how "hip" they are by requesting tunes from back in the day. And the older crowd stopped listening to top 40 radio when rap took over.

Maybe in a band situation current stuff would fly, but I don't get many (if any) requests for new material on my circuit. Other circuits are probably different.

• Members

When I do get a younger crowd, they want me to play the retro stuff. They actually like to show how "hip" they are by requesting tunes from back in the day. And the older crowd stopped listening to top 40 radio when rap took over.

Maybe in a band situation current stuff would fly, but I don't get many (if any) requests for new material on my circuit. Other circuits are probably different.

It's pretty much the same here. I do a few newer tunes, but the classic stuff is what seems to sell best.

As far as specific songs, you can't go wrong with anything by Van Morrison. I do a few - Moondance, Caravan, Wild Night, Brown Eyed Girl, and Jackie Wilson Said. I also do some Motown things that go over surprisingly well. It's Alright (Curtis Mayfield), Let's Stay Together (Al Greene), and a few others. I was worried about doing these with just vocals and guitar, but the crowds really seem to enjoy them.

• Members

Top of my head surefire killers:

Jessie's Girl

Jenny Jenny

American Girl

Free falling

Brown eyed Girl

Pour Some Sugar on Me

Margaritaville (Hate it but people love it)

Running on Empty

Laid

Jack & Diane

Melt With You

Delilah

Patience

The Weight

The Boxer

Sweet Caroline

So many more...check out our set list on our website, the majority of them work like a charm, a few are for my self indulgence like Skid Row and Rush but people still goes nuts for them!

Rod

• Members

Live, I only play a handful of songs written after 1989, and no one seems to care, even the younger crowd.
:idk:

^ This!

I play mainly play songs from the 60's and 70's with a few older ones and newer ones thrown in.

It's the older people who leave the big tips and hire you for gigs.

• Members

Wow, so nothing new huh? I will say that after playing EU for a few years there are some standards there that differ from over here but still it amazes me that nothing new has become a standard! I know all that old stuff for sure and it's on my list to tell this guy..Crazy!

• Members

There are many other songs but "bread and butter" songs for me are songs that any bar nad should know before they go out to play in public, things that are expected and requested every night...like the list I posted or even songs like Sweet Mellisa, Friends in Low Places, Born To Be My baby, Sweet caroline, Runaway...songs that get requested all the time.

Rod

• Members

Wow, so nothing new huh? I will say that after playing EU for a few years there are some standards there that differ from over here but still it amazes me that nothing new has become a standard! I know all that old stuff for sure and it's on my list to tell this guy..Crazy!

so..whats hot in EU??

• Members

Must know tunes (for they WILL be requested, at least, around here):

Mr. Bojangles

Tequila Sunrise

Your Cheatin' Heart

Crazy

House of the Risin' Sun

Me 'n Booby McGee

City of New Orleans

Amanda

Folsom Prison Blues

Under The Boardwalk

Wind Beneath My Wings

Danny's Song

Summertime

Blue Spanish Eyes

Pancho and Lefty

London Homesick Blues

The Thrill is Gone

Redneck Mother

Almost Like A Song

Sweet Caoline

American Pie

• Members

Must know tunes (for they
WILL
be requested, at least, around here):

Mr. Bojangles
Tequila Sunrise

Your Cheatin' Heart

Crazy
House of the Risin' Sun

Me 'n Booby McGee

City of New Orleans

Amanda

Folsom Prison Blues
Under The Boardwalk

Wind Beneath My Wings

Danny's Song

Summertime

Blue Spanish Eyes

Pancho and Lefty
London Homesick Blues
The Thrill is Gone

Redneck Mother
Almost Like A Song

Sweet Caoline

American Pie

these are core solo act songs for sure in texas

• Members

The only new songs we added that stuck as sure fire:

Forget You (CEELO)

The Way You Are (Bruno Mars)

not new but newer...Ricky Martin...Vida Loca...

Rod

Yea, I've done Forget You a few times, but really I think they'd be just as happy (or happier) with I Feel Good or whatever else.

In lounges I get a few requests for Michael Buble, but except for his originals it's all old stuff anyway.

• Members

Must know tunes (for they
WILL
be requested, at least, around here):

Mr. Bojangles

Tequila Sunrise

Your Cheatin' Heart

Crazy

House of the Risin' Sun

Me 'n Booby McGee

City of New Orleans

Amanda

Folsom Prison Blues

Under The Boardwalk

Wind Beneath My Wings

Danny's Song

Summertime

Blue Spanish Eyes

Pancho and Lefty

London Homesick Blues

The Thrill is Gone

Redneck Mother

Almost Like A Song

Sweet Caoline

American Pie

About 75% of those tunes were on my 1975 set list when I used to play the Canadian Legions (they're taverns/pubs run by the war veterans).

Through in a bunch of Eagles, a few more Country tunes, and a Polka Medley and I'm right back in the seventies.

Nice to see those tunes live on. Matter of fact I still get requests for a few of them like Under The Boardwalk, Summertime.....

• Members

Buble...we did Quando, Quando, Quando and someone asked if we knew any more Buble songs...everything old is new again... :)

I think there is only one song in the world that will always work, no matter where, no matter what...from funerals to arena gigs this song will light up a crowd like no other song ever has and ever will...ladies and gentleman I give you the absolute, all time best bar band song eva! Sometimes we need to play more than once in a night...

DON'T STOP BELIEVING!

Rod

• Members

It's going to depend on your audience. You can see our song list at http://www.s-cats.com

Note: We play to an adult audience, mostly from forty until they get too old to drive. We've tried learning newer tunes in the past, but they end up either being ignored or alienating a portion of our audience, especially the retirees (note YMMV). On the other hand, sometimes a new tune catches on with the adult crowd, so if we get enough requests for something, we will learn it.

Advice: Go out and listen to your competition, and see what is working in your area. Start with these, and when you start playing out, pay attention to your audience as you try new things out. If you stay on stage long enough, the audience will tell you what they want to hear.

Notes ?

• Members

Great thread. I have just ended a 5 year cover band and am thinking of putting together a solo show! I was going to focus on the classics, since that is what the cover band did, but I have a Youtube playlist of 40 newer songs I am also going to have on-hand. Everything from Bruno Mars to Lady Gaga (just for fun).

To be clear, I make a playlist on Youtube for learning purposes, so I don't have to look up each song every time I want to practice them...

Archived