girl songs you wish you could sing

pogo97

• Members

Most songs, I think, are pretty gender-neutral. And often, it's simple enough to change a few words to make a woman's song work as a man's song. But there are some that really don't translate and that's a darn shame. Ian Tyson's "Someday Soon" comes to mind. Lovely song, but "There's a cowgirl that I know, she rides the rodeo…" I don't think so.

Any challenging songs that you've managed to cross-dress for your own use?

• Members

Played with a woman who sang that really well. Great song! Only problem was that *she* was the one with flaming locks of auburn hair, ivory skin and eyes of emerald green. I kept telling her that she couldn't sing Jolene -- she *was* Jolene.

• Moderators
Lovely song, but "There's a cowgirl that I know, she rides the rodeo…" I don't think so.

I think one could easily wink your way through the change cowgirl/cowboy....

I do "Why Don't You Do Right", so rather than sounding like a gold-digger, it comes off more like a pimp..very Kurt Weill...and I did comment went Steve Mac mentioned 'You're The On That I Want' about the ONJ parts...I also cover some Patsy Cline songs...but they were not written to be too gender specific..and I''d Rather Go Blind' by Etta James, although I have not done it in a long time

• Members

Midnight Train to Georgia was originally written for a man but retooled for Gladys. That one turned out just fine.

I do Give Me One Reason To Stay by Tracy Chapman, but she was probably singing about a woman anyway. I've done Respect a few times, but Otis Redding blazed the trail on that one.

Wouldn't mind doing At Last, but it's so synonymous with Etta, or women in general, that I've never bothered trying that one.

• Members

I do "Why Don't You Do Right", so rather than sounding like a gold-digger, it comes off more like a pimp..very Kurt Weill...

Or you could go digging and find the original -- Peggy covered Lil Green who was singing a response to this:

[video=youtube;9u-FquAoyXs]

You still come off like a pimp, of course.

• Members

I do "Why Don't You Do Right", so rather than sounding like a gold-digger, it comes off more like a pimp..very Kurt Weill...

That sounds cool! But are you aware of the earlier version of the song, "Weed-Smoker's Dream"?

Sitting on a million, sitting on it everyday.

Can't make no money giving your stuff away.

Why don't you do now, like the millionaires do?

Put your stuff on the market and make a million too.

Fay's a betting women, she bets on every hand.

She's a tricking mother-for-you everywhere she lands.

May's a good looking frail, she lives down by the jail.

On the back door she got hot stuff for sale.

Edit: Never mind, I see someone else already brought this song up already. I just love it.

• Members

How about "Street Life" - Randy Crawford and Joe Sample. I've never heard it done with male vocals, but the words seem OK.

I'm working up "Woodstock" which was, of course, covered by CSNY, but it occurs to me the Joni Mitchell had no problem writing and singing "I was a free man in Paris . . ."

• Members

I've done "Fever" with Diane, but if I was to learn it I'd use Little Willie John's version. Peggy Lee cutified the words, which made it a huge seller (and gave her composer rights) but LWJ's version is wonderful raw R&B, which is much more to my liking. Rita Coolidge? Huh?

• Members

I just don't change the gender. People know the songs with the lyrics they were written with. I see enough people singing along at the tables where I don't really see much benefit in changing them. Alternately, on Ryan Adams' pretty brilliant Taylor Swift cover album, he changes not the gender of the words, but the person 's perspective of the song. So rather than He's a cowboy or what have you, you might say "I'm a cowboy" and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Personally I've never been a fan of changing the gender for most songs, but I don't think it matters so much to the audience either. There will always be a few purists (of either camp) who are going to be put off regardless, so I think the most important thing is to do what feels true to you.

I've worked with a lot of female singers over the years who have sung male songs. Some have preferred to change the gender, some not. I never noticed the audience caring too much one way or the other. Presuming most even noticed, period. But its never good to sing something that makes you uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Most songs, I think, are pretty gender-neutral. And often, it's simple enough to change a few words to make a woman's song work as a man's song. But there are some that really don't translate and that's a darn shame. Ian Tyson's "Someday Soon" comes to mind. Lovely song, but "There's a cowgirl that I know, she rides the rodeo…" I don't think so.

Alison Krauss made the cowboy/girl switch in "Let Me Touch You For Awhile."

It works, but once you realize the change, other lines in the song make more sense.

Archived