Best Sounding Albums Recorded in Weird Places

• Members

I heard "Pink Houses" by John Mellancamp this morning on the way in to work and I'm always struck by how good it sounds. According to Mix Classic Tracks, they recorded it in John's brother-in-law's unfinished house.

Another is "Handle With Care" by The Traveling Wilburys, recorded mostly in Bob Dylan's garage, and the rest of the album in Dave Stewart's kitchen.

What are some of your favorite albums or songs recorded in weird places? I don't mean proper home studios or converted places like the Stax movie theater of Motown basement. I'm talking garages, barns, caves, whatever.

• Members

Deep Purple's "Machine Head" was recorded at a Swiss Hotel, wasn't it? Wikipedia says so, it must be true.
:p

In the junction of two hallways, using mattresses as room treatment. "With a few red lights and a few old beds we made a place to swing."

• Members

I like Rock and Roll Over - my favorite Kiss album. It was recorded in a theater and Peter's drums were done in a bathroom down the hall. To me it captures their true sound in a live way, even better ironically than their live albums.

• Members

I like Rock and Roll Over - my favorite Kiss album. It was recorded in a theater and Peter's drums were done in a bathroom down the hall. To me it captures their true sound in a live way, even better ironically than their live albums.

That's because their live albums weren't.

• Members

Teatro - Willie nelson

Recorded in an abondoned theatre in mexico. I thinks its Daniel Lanois production, if I'm not mistaken. But either way it just sounds great.

Teatro was indeed a theatre ("teatro" means, in fact, "theatre" in Spanish) until it was converted into a recording studio by Daniel Lanois, who owned it for several years, recording numerous artists there until moving his recording studio to another location. And it was located in Oxnard, not Mexico. And although we indeed used to be part of Mexico, it is now officially in California.

• Members

My parents wouldn't let me listen to KISS when I was a kid in the seventies. They were afraid that KISS was all evil and satanic.

It wasn't until I got older and finally listened to one of the albums that I realized they rock about as hard as Cheap Trick, but without the gift for songwriting.

Talk about disappointment!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Bonnie Raitt's (RIP Steve Raitt) first album, cleverly titled "Bonnie Raitt", was recorded in a cabin on and island in the middle of Lake Minnetonka outside of Minneapolis. It was recorded by Dave Ray and produced by Willie Murphy. If I recall correctly, it was recorded on a Crown 4 track recorder, although it may have been a 3340.

• Members

Bon Iver's album For Emma, Forever Ago was recorded in a hunting cabin somewhere around upstate Wisconsin.

Northwestern Wisconsin to be exact. Ive forgotten all about this album, I best weed through the attic and listen to this album again. This is one of those albums you can just jam to whilst the lights are dim, biting a Marlboro and the rain pours outside.

I wonder if BLOOD BANK was recorded similarly, listening to Woods one would think so. (BTW..Woods = one of the best songs ever)

• Members

John Martyn's album One World was reportedly recorded outside. Quite a bit of it (especially the lovely track Small Hours) was recorded in the middle of the night with mic's across the lake. Can't remember where that information came from. I think it was a documentary before he died..

Archived