Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got a 4+ year old Dual 1 Ghz G-4 that kicks ass very nicely, runs PTle to the max on tracks without breaking a sweat, Tracktion like it was idling, and is a long long way from being obsolete.

Same with my even older G-4 550Mhz Titanium powerbook.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseC.

Simple enough for primary English speakers, sorry.

The nighmares refer to the computers though both the wife and daughter can also be nightmares upon occasion.

I'm going to convert both computers to Linux in the near future and so get away from all the ad/spyware they accrue because they are not careful where they go on the internet.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

You get what you pay for.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Where in the HELL am I?</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Sylver
          You get what you pay for.

Sometimes. Other times you pay too much for the item and pay again every time there's an upgrade. MAC is that way with hardware. Windows is that way with software. The consumer loses in both instances. Kind of liken it to Pro Tools. Buy it now for thousands and when they upgrade, buy it again for even more thousands.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Ace
            I compare Apples to BMWs.

They both a <4% market share but the quality is the best.

I currently use a two year Powerbook G4 as my main computer.

Great machines!

Quality of BMW's used to be good. I'd buy an early 90s BMW before I'd buy one made in this century.

You know, I spend a bit of time lurking in Mac threads and have a number of Mac power user friends (and, for that matter, I spent some time with a 2 year old G4 powerbook, a machine that cost 1/3 more than my beloved same-age Dell Inspiron would have cost if I hadn't bought it refurbished; ask me to compare them sometime) -- and I'm having a bit of the ol cognitive dissonance reading some of the comments here. But there's plenty of time for giving into schismogenic impulses later...

I'll say this: I think the G5 tower is the most beautiful and retro-hip personal computer ever. Its evocation of late 60s functional futurist design is smack on.

I'm keeping my eye out for used cases in the future. Might be just the place to put a next generation Pentium M based system... wouldn't that be an amusing touch?

‚Äč
            music and social stuff

Comment

Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update. I moved on to two different PowerPCs after that, added a G3 PowerBook, a borrowed G4 for doing EQ/Keyboard magazine work, and now have a dual G5. So I'm no Mac hater! I do most of my music work on Windows machines, though, because a lot of the software I use doesn't have Mac versions.
              There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I like apples, but you just can't beat honeydew melon .

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                  Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update.

The ][ series was cool and I think there was still Woz in there at that time

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Walters
                    I like apples, but you just can't beat honeydew melon .

Have you tried sitting naked on a chilled slice of honeydew melon?

SX
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">My avatar<br />
                    <br />
                    http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?iuolyyhw7qs</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Alndln2
                      Steve Jobs has pulled some fast ones regarding upgrades and has outright lied at times.
                      Examples?

Comment

Originally posted by OS 9

Have you tried sitting naked on a chilled slice of honeydew melon?

SX

No, but it sounds refreshing!

Comment

Anyone see the latest screenshots of "Vista"

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                            Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update. I moved on to two different PowerPCs after that, added a G3 PowerBook, a borrowed G4 for doing EQ/Keyboard magazine work, and now have a dual G5. So I'm no Mac hater! I do most of my music work on Windows machines, though, because a lot of the software I use doesn't have Mac versions.

Oh! That's allota Apples.

But don't you think it

Comment

Working...
                            X