I finally figured out the Apple thing!

Anderton

• Members
Originally posted by Anderton

Okay, as I consigned my IIci to the scrap heap, I realized that Apple's success is due to clever "hardware management." Apple makes nice margins on hardware; compare generic PC vs. Apple and you see what's happening. So Apple needs you to turn over your computers as much as possible for them to stay profitable, do R&D, come up with bold strokes like the iPod, etc.

But to be fair, they hold up their end of the bargain. When you get a new Mac, first of all, it looks bitchin'. Apple's industrial design is about as good as it gets; their computers are works of art IMHO. And you get a state of the art performance boost (assuming any relevant software has been updated to accommodate new hardware) because of hardware improvements.

Microsoft makes their bucks on the OS, so it's in their interest to have people get a new OS whenever Windows mutates into something new. And like Apple, they work hard to come up with the incentives so you go "Yeah, that's worth the bucks."

But we're also talking pure, unfiltered planned obsolescence, aren't we? Even if I wanted to use my IIci, no web browser that would run on it would pass a web site's browser check.

We all know progress has a price, but I think Apple has based their model around not just progress, but obsolescence. Even that brand new spanking Dual G5 is pretty much toast once the Intel-based models appear. In return, you get the latest and greatest. More and more, Apple is looking like sports cars, and Microsoft, like sedans -- albeit with leather seats and XM radio
:)

I disagree. I used my 400 mhz G4 for six years and my dual G5 will run at least that long - all of my music software runs on it now, and will continue to run on it after the Intel switch.

Besides, the high end machines won't be swapped out for another TWO YEARS and I'm
pretty much going to keep it until it blows up.

No problems. My PC in the basement will likely be (already is) moribund prior to this one fading out. That machine is an Athlon 2400 but I've got it running Xandros Linux which spares me much of the headaches I get with the Windows machines I deal with all day at work.

• Members

We've got a 4+ year old Dual 1 Ghz G-4 that kicks ass very nicely, runs PTle to the max on tracks without breaking a sweat, Tracktion like it was idling, and is a long long way from being obsolete.

Same with my even older G-4 550Mhz Titanium powerbook.

• Members
Originally posted by JoseC.

:confused:

Simple enough for primary English speakers, sorry.

The nighmares refer to the computers though both the wife and daughter can also be nightmares upon occasion. :D

I'm going to convert both computers to Linux in the near future and so get away from all the ad/spyware they accrue because they are not careful where they go on the internet.

• Members

Originally posted by Sylver

You get what you pay for.

Sometimes. Other times you pay too much for the item and pay again every time there's an upgrade. MAC is that way with hardware. Windows is that way with software. The consumer loses in both instances. Kind of liken it to Pro Tools. Buy it now for thousands and when they upgrade, buy it again for even more thousands.

• Members

Originally posted by Joey Ace

I compare Apples to BMWs.

They both a

I currently use a two year Powerbook G4 as my main computer.

Great machines!

Quality of BMW's used to be good. I'd buy an early 90s BMW before I'd buy one made in this century.

You know, I spend a bit of time lurking in Mac threads and have a number of Mac power user friends (and, for that matter, I spent some time with a 2 year old G4 powerbook, a machine that cost 1/3 more than my beloved same-age Dell Inspiron would have cost if I hadn't bought it refurbished; ask me to compare them sometime) -- and I'm having a bit of the ol cognitive dissonance reading some of the comments here. But there's plenty of time for giving into schismogenic impulses later...

I'll say this: I think the G5 tower is the most beautiful and retro-hip personal computer ever. Its evocation of late 60s functional futurist design is smack on.

I'm keeping my eye out for used cases in the future. Might be just the place to put a next generation Pentium M based system... wouldn't that be an amusing touch?

• Members

Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update. I moved on to two different PowerPCs after that, added a G3 PowerBook, a borrowed G4 for doing EQ/Keyboard magazine work, and now have a dual G5. So I'm no Mac hater! I do most of my music work on Windows machines, though, because a lot of the software I use doesn't have Mac versions.

• Members

Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update.

The ][ series was cool and I think there was still Woz in there at that time

• Members

Just to clarify...I haven't used the IIci since about 1996. I just couldn't bear to throw it out because it had such great design, so easy to maintain and update. I moved on to two different PowerPCs after that, added a G3 PowerBook, a borrowed G4 for doing EQ/Keyboard magazine work, and now have a dual G5. So I'm no Mac hater! I do most of my music work on Windows machines, though, because a lot of the software I use doesn't have Mac versions.

Oh! That's allota Apples.

But don't you think it

Archived