I need a good microphone for general use.

Rabid

• Members

I need a good microphone for general use. I have no desire for a cabinet full of microphones for every occasion or to spend $1000 on a microphone when I can spend that money on another keyboard.

Anyway, I want something to record most anything. A primary use will be recording percussion tracks. Not necessarily timbales and congas, though I have a set of congas that I want to record. I may want to record myself playing patterns on the stove top with my fingers, or a bass drum part on a cardboard box. Some of the playing might be pretty soft and there can be a wide range of frequencies that need to come through clear. Most of all it needs to be idiot proof as I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to recording. I will be connecting it to a Motu Ultralite and then into a laptop for most recordings. Target price is $200 and that is flexable.

Thanks,

Robert

• Moderators

I think a multi-pattern condenser is the way to go. The patterns are there when you're ready to explore but at first, just leave it in cardiod and point and shoot.

Something based on a AKG 414 workhorse concept would fit the bill. For your budget, check out the CAD Trion 6000. I have the tube version (8000) and love it, but I dug the 6000 as well. I've also heard good things about CAD's 179 though I haven't heard it. The Studio Projects C3 is a little brittle. An AT 4050 is out of your budget though you might be able to score through eBay. Probably more like $400 used for the AT. That is a nice mic for what you're decribing as your application.

Lastly... get something that will be available when you decide you want another, identical mic for stereo. You're going to want to go there.

• Members

I just purchased a Cascade mic and although I haven't received it yet, they have been reviewed well and are very inexpensive.

I would recommend looking at one of their condenser mic's or ribbons, ribbons are very warm sounding but are not the best candidate for "everything"

As someone else suggested, you could go with an SM57, but I personally think that is a very mediocre mic that happens to sound good on some things....

• Members

You might consider that the SM57 doesn't have great bass response.

If you want accurate, go for a low cost omnidirectional small diaphragm condenser mic.

If you want pretty, look for a large diaphragm condenser, but check for a relatively flat freq response, preferably down to around 30 Hz or so, before buying. ("Relatively flat", for a LDC mic, means the high freq bump around 10 to 12 KHz isn't too big - - no more than 4 or 5 dB, and overall variation of no more than 8 dB across the entire audio band.)

I'm not recommending specific models because you don't define 'general use' very clearly.... A very accurate omni mic would be useless for PA work due to feedback problems, while a cardoid (good for PA work) won't be very accurate, and will introduce a large bass boost for anything you close-mic.

Also, omni's will pick up room sound more than cardoids, so if the sound of your recording space sucks, it's probably not a great choice.

• Members

One mic isn't going to cut it, imo.

I would say you need at least one of each type.

Small diaphragm condenser.

Large diaphragm condenser.

Dynamic. (Cardoid and an Omni)

PZM.

To desire to record "anything", means you are gonna need more than one mic.

Application is everything when choosing a mic.

I know this is exactly the answer you didn't want, but what can you do?

• Moderators

One mic isn't going to cut it, imo.

I would say you need at least one of each type.

Small diaphragm condenser.

Large diaphragm condenser.

Dynamic. (Cardoid and an Omni)

PZM.

To desire to record "anything", means you are gonna need more than one mic.

Application is everything when choosing a mic.

I know this is exactly the answer you didn't want, but what can you do?

You're right... which is why I say a multi-pattern condesor. They kind of... work on everything. Vocal. Guitar cab. Acoustic. Found sound. Drum set. Hand drum. Flute. Violin. Brass section. Choir. Maracas. Belching contests...

• Members

I need a good microphone for general use...Most of all it needs to be idiot proof as I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to recording. I will be connecting it to a Motu Ultralite and then into a laptop for most recordings. Target price is $200 and that is flexable.

Thanks,

Robert

I can only recommend mics that I HAVE ACTUALLY USED. Not sure about anyone else's recommendations :rolleyes:

I've used a Rode NT-1A and found that it gets a good sound, particularly for $200. Also used an MXL-990, good cheap condenser at $60. I've used it to record tambourine and shakers, works fine. Yes, there is a noticeable difference between these two mics. If I were you, I'd probably get an Audio-Technica AT4033 or 4040. Slightly more detailed sound than the Rode when recording vocals and pretty good on acoustic guitar. Don't know about hand percussion.

All of the above mics get a better sound for me than the SM57. No question about it, the SM57 is best suited for guitar cabinets and snare drums in my studio. I doubt it would sound better for hand percussion than a condenser, but I can't say for sure. They are useful and worth having, but you WILL need a condenser mic.

• Members

SM 57 for no-brainer dynamic mic recordings.

AT2020 by Audio-Technica or something similar if you need a large diaphragm condenser, which'll record just about anything reasonably well. It's $100 and has gotten good reviews. I recommend the AT even though I haven't heard it because the stuff is well-made and sturdy and dependable...I use a lot of their stuff and am very happy with how good it is for the money.

Also, check into the MXL stuff...supposed to be excellent for the money.

• Moderators

I can only recommend mics that I HAVE ACTUALLY USED. Not sure about anyone else's recommendations
:rolleyes:

I take that's directed at me since I the only one who said "though I haven't heard it myself" with regards the the CAD 179. I wasn't recommending it actually. I was recommending multi-pattern condensors and only mentioned it because it fit the budget. Only pointing it out as one to check out that might work based on what it sounds like he needs. I have used all the others in my post.

Sorry for the confusion and :rolleyes: back at ya!

• Members

Name of thread: "I need a good microphone for general use."

I will throw in my vote for the SM57. Great general purpose, low-cost mic, IMO. Virtually bullet proof too. Mine has hit the floor many times due to fits of frustration....not with the mic, but with my crappy singing.

• Members

Thanks for the help, though I think now I have more choices to think about than I started with. :D

.. If you don't have phantom power then I'd suggest a Shure Beta 57. A bit more hi fi sounding than the regular 57 and very good on many sources.

HEY! :idea:

I think I have one of those somewhere. Time to dig through the closets. If that is the case I can spend a couple hundred dollars on an alternative and have two mics to choose from when I record. :cool:

By the way, I think my Motu UltraLite does have phantom power.

Robert

• Moderators

I still wouldn't discount the PZM. You can get a basic one for $60 or so. Probably less. And it would be very handy to have for a lot of what you mention.

That's the one. I had the old Crown/Realistic that basically served every function I needed when I first started recording. I'd recommend either a genuine Crown or do eBay for the old Crown/Realistic as the new generation Realistics are... well, they're Radio Shack.

BTW, that mic does great lead vocals. Tape it to the wall and sing into it. It sounds great.

Archived