Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What The Hell Is Wrong With the Forum Software?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The Hell Is Wrong With the Forum Software?

It Guys, whys are these forums so slow to load and in general the most ****************ed up running BBs on the net? Seriously...These forums were some of the most populated and smooth running on the net and it's getting frustrating. I'm not pointing any fingers or blame and I don't want to hear any political answers. We're all big boys (and a few girls) here and bottom line, what the **************** happened to these forums and what can we collectively do to help fix it?

Amen brother! It acts like it's running through an old 300 baud handset modem (like the one in 'War Games') where you put the receiver on top of a speaker & mic and listen to the weird noises.

Comment

Oddly enough, posts seem to go fast. Just can't open a new forum for 5 minutes or so....

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm not inclined to be the first to ask about it since I have a pretty slow DSL connection that's sometimes flaky, however this forum does tend to be more cranky than most web sites. I've found that if I stop trying to connect (press ESC on Firefox) and then try to load again, it often comes up pretty quickly on the second try. Maybe there's a particularly slow port on a router and we who experience this sluggishness are hitting it just by chance.

But yeah, it used to work consistently better.
        --
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Bad / inadequate IT support. We're not a priority, simple as that.

Terry D.
          Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

The squirrels in mySQL are very very tired...
            Don't hate the game - hate the player!

Comment

Well, I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but I am currently running a security scan which has found 33 pieces of malware out of 3,000,000 files and counting. It slowed steadily down over the last several days -- until it doesn't work on other sites as well as Harmony Central so I finally broke down and ran a scan and was not delighted to find what I found.

If anyone else finds malware, collect the names of the files and we will compare notes.

For now I am doing all my browsing here from my Google Nexus 7 tablet which is fine for reading but a total pain in the neck for typing or using forms.

music and social stuff

Comment

It`s very frustrating. This forum has been on a steady decline for the last couple of weeks.

Comment

If many here gets these malware we will have reason to believe that this was infection vector...

Worm: Win32/Morto.gen!B

PWS:Sinowal.gen!Y

http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...FSinowal.gen!Y

They steal user information from your computer and there is no overtime symptom -- although I noticed a big time slow down.

music and social stuff

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley
                    View Post

It`s very frustrating. This forum has been on a steady decline for the last couple of weeks.

Longer than that, actually.
                    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I agree with the OP. It has, yet again, become a drag to even post here

Comment

Stop whining

Have you nothing better to do?

a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MarkydeSad
                          View Post

Stop whining

Have you nothing better to do?

The nasty part is that it's intermittent. You can come into the forum, breeze through a bunch of posts, and have no problems and wonder what all the complaining is about. But someone else can come in and wait for three minutes just for a thread to open, give up in frustration, and wonder how anyone could possibly say "I dunno, works okay for me."

Times like this, I wish I was an IT expert...
                          There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I really don't mean to complain...I just wanted to see if anything could be done about it. Man, it seems like so many of the old timers are gone and I don't know if the performance of the forums has anything do with it. I hope it has not hurt the forums.

Comment

I question whether it's a forum software issue. What I get is inability to connect. Not sure whether it's DNS, connectivity, or server issue, though. Next time I'll pay more attention. (There were times earlier this year where I had repeated DNS problems for this site, but no idea if that's the typical cause these days.)
                              learjeff.net

Comment

Working...
                              X