No announcement yet.

Pro playing a Squier?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro playing a Squier?

I don't have a pic for this but in Friday's paper (the St. Louis Post-Dispatch), in the Entertainment section, there was a feature about Fall Out Boy and a pic of bassist Pete Wentz playing a Squier P-Bass. I know the older Mexican and Korean Squiers are supposed to be pretty good but how common is it to find pros to playing them?
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
    I don't have a pic for this but in Friday's paper (the St. Louis Post-Dispatch), in the Entertainment section, there was a feature about Fall Out Boy and a pic of bassist Pete Wentz playing a Squier P-Bass. I know the older Mexican and Korean Squiers are supposed to be pretty good but how common is it to find pros to playing them?
    Pete could have his signature model gutted and redone. We really have no idea.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Well, here he is ''playing'' the thing or anyway posing with it. This photo is from equipboard.com:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	big_Fall%2BOut%2BBoy%2BIn%2BConcert%2BeBQmRN4A-utl.jpg?v=1414141109.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	32087651

I doubt it would be worth it to have a Squier "gutted and redone." We're talking about replacing the pickup, pots and wiring, probably the tuners, plus some fretwork. If you're ''slumming,'' why not just buy a Mexi-Fender? Again, if I had to guess I'd say the photo is probably a promo and he plays the ''real deal'' live.
      Attached Files

Comment

My Squire II Precision is over 25 years old. Its built as good as any Regular Fender I've owned, better in fact then many I've played. Its Rosewood neck is well into the high quality range. Its got Lace sensor pickups which sound excellent and I've never seen the need to replace them. The only thing I dislike is the weight. I'm pretty sure the body is Basswood. Its got to weigh at least 10lbs and its not a bass my shoulder can handle playing live any more. It looks nearly identical to this one except for the pickups.

Comment

I toured with Henry Turner, Jr and Flavor, out of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Henry plays a Squier strat and a First Act acoustic on tour. On one tour with Henry, I played an Ibanez GSR200 bass. Bad things can happen to nice instruments on tour.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
            I toured with Henry Turner, Jr and Flavor, out of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Henry plays a Squier strat and a First Act acoustic on tour. On one tour with Henry, I played an Ibanez GSR200 bass. Bad things can happen to nice instruments on tour.
            Yes, I thought of you and your Ibanez when I posted the thread. I was curious as to how common it was. Apparently moreso that I would have thought.

Comment

It's been known to happen.

The early Squier guitars were built by Fujigen in Japan.
              As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
              from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

A while back I was visiting my luthier with a bass player buddy. My luthier is a bass player who used to play for some big names and still plays around town. My buddy asked his advice on a 5-string and asked him what he uses. My luthier said he doesn't like the necks on Fenders (nor does my buddy) so he took a Squier off the wall and modded it to his tastes (which included a Fender headstock decal so everyone thinks its a Fender).

The only real difference in the "low-end" and "high-end" these days is in the branding. Electronics and hardware can be upgraded, if needed, but many of the lower-end instruments rock out of the box.
                --------------------------------
                www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

Originally posted by Verne Andru View Post
                  A while back I was visiting my luthier with a bass player buddy. My luthier is a bass player who used to play for some big names and still plays around town. My buddy asked his advice on a 5-string and asked him what he uses. My luthier said he doesn't like the necks on Fenders (nor does my buddy) so he took a Squier off the wall and modded it to his tastes (which included a Fender headstock decal so everyone thinks its a Fender).

The only real difference in the "low-end" and "high-end" these days is in the branding. Electronics and hardware can be upgraded, if needed, but many of the lower-end instruments rock out of the box.
                  Why lie? Compulsive dishonesty, or just an arsehole?
                  Last edited by isaac42; 11-05-2017, 11:43 AM.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
                    Why lie? Compulsive dishonesty, or just an arsehole?
                    He's a great guy and certainly isn't the first.

I think it has more to do with the "poseur" attitude within the player/gear market - if it doesn't say Fender or Gibson you're not taken seriously. I personally don't care, but image seems to matter to quite a few peeps who tend to be victims of fashion. And it matters to Fender because they get to charge a premium for a 5 cent water-slide.

As the old saying goes - what's the difference between a Fender made by Mexicans in California and a Fender made by Mexicans in Mexico? AFAIK the only difference is the label on the headstock.

Truth be told, most body parts for modern Fenders are made by Godin and assembled by Fender, if that. Yet how many bass players do you see playing Godin guitars?

I think the fact someone made a thread asking if "pros" play Squiers speaks volumes. These days the main differences are in the price and market perception.

This isn't new - gear snobbery has been around as long as I've been playing, and that's a long time.
                    Last edited by Verne Andru; 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM.
                    --------------------------------
                    www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

And your friend is apparently part of the problem.
                      -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by Verne Andru View Post
                        . . . I think the fact someone made a thread asking if "pros" play Squiers speaks volumes. These days the main differences are in the price and market perception.

This isn't new - gear snobbery has been around as long as I've been playing, and that's a long time.
                        I wouldn't call it "snobbery." My Alvarez bass is easily as good as any Squier I've ever played but I wouldn't play it professionally even if I were good enough to play at that level any more than I'd use a cheap amp. I'd invest in "pro" gear. YMMV.

Comment

I wouldn't call it "snobbery." My Alvarez bass is easily as good as any Squier I've ever played but I wouldn't play it professionally even if I were good enough to play at that level any more than I'd use a cheap amp. I'd invest in "pro" gear. YMMV.
                          Why not? If the Alvarez is good enough, how is it anything other than snobbery to say that you'd never use it? For me, it's all about the music, not the gear.
                          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
                            The only thing I dislike is the weight. I'm pretty sure the body is Basswood. Its got to weigh at least 10lbs and its not a bass my shoulder can handle playing live any more.
                            In my experience Basswood is usually pretty light in weight...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

While he's known more for guitar playing (even though he's a multi-instrumentalist) David Lindley has a reputation for often utilizing really cheap instruments - and he makes them sound fantastic. I think they help to give him his unique tones. I certainly am not trying to disparage high end or professional instruments, but there are some players who use cheap and inexpensive instruments in a professional context, and make them shine.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                              X