KimCameo

DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

As a stock pedal it sounds pretty good.  Surprisingly good for a very inexpensive pedal.

The mod involves changing the capacitor at "C5" from a .047 to a .15.  This change just about removes the midrange entirely.  It's an easy mod to do and instructions can be found at:

The capacitor change makes a noticeable difference in the pedal's character.  To me, it sounds more natural but I must admit that i liked it just as much before I did the mod.  So I'm going to get another one and keep that one stock.

The modded pedal goes in front of my Peavey SS amps as a "warmup" pedal and a boost.  It works very well for warming up a SS amp.  Now I'm spoiled - I wouldn't even play my Peaveys without adding the modded Bad Monkey.  As a boost it works better than some boost pedals that I own - and adding just a little bit of gain gives the Peaveys a nice tuby sound.  I'm very satisfied, especially for the price.

The advantage of doing the mod is that when engaged, the pedal gives you a warmer version of your guitar / amp.  It really doesn't add anything to the tone.  On the other hand, the stock Bad Monkey will add that mid hump.  Either way, the pedal is very good for warming up a SS amp.  My preference is for the modded tone - but only slightly.  YMMV...

Does it work well with other pedals?  As a matter of fact, it does.  Either stock or modded it gets along with my other pedals just fine.  It does react to volume changes on your guitars. I use it with Les Pauls, Teles, Strats and 335s.  Single coils, humbuckers and P 90 pickups.  Works well with all of these different combinations.   After the mod, it does not color the tone of the guitar, but you can add bas and treble to suit your tastes.  i add just a tiny bit of both for added warmth.  Works very well.

It's pretty heavy.  The circuit board looks well made.  I like the way the battery compartment works.  Should last a long, long time.

General Comments

Very satisfied with it.   Sounds good as a stock pedal and even better with the HOT BANANA mod.  They sell for 49 bucks brand new these days.  It's a no brainer.  Everyone should have one.